PDA

View Full Version : Found Juvenile Prairie Falcon - Mesa, AZ

Justin Z
06-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi folks,

I am not a falconer but a little guy has decided to come visit me and he doesn't seem well. He doesn't have any tags on his legs, so he may just be wild, but he is awfully young.

Here is a picture of him when he perched on my window sill, when he was still flying:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/7991_10101543449950821_2009982746_n.jpg

This was two days ago. He looked out of place, and when I approached him, he flew off. When I found him on my porch today, he made no effort to get away. He's now sitting in my foyer with his eyes closed, as if he's trying to sleep, although as I'm typing this he decided to go try to perch on my coffee table but fell off the edge. I gave him a cup of water, but don't know what else to do.

If anyone suspects this is their falcon, please let me know.

Thanks,

Justin

christopher.vly
06-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Looks like a kestrel to me. You should contact Arizona fish and game: http://www.azgfd.gov

Lowachi
06-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi folks,

I am not a falconer but a little guy has decided to come visit me and he doesn't seem well. He doesn't have any tags on his legs, so he may just be wild, but he is awfully young.

Here is a picture of him when he perched on my window sill, when he was still flying:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/7991_10101543449950821_2009982746_n.jpg

This was two days ago. He looked out of place, and when I approached him, he flew off. When I found him on my porch today, he made no effort to get away. He's now sitting in my foyer with his eyes closed, as if he's trying to sleep, although as I'm typing this he decided to go try to perch on my coffee table but fell off the edge. I gave him a cup of water, but don't know what else to do.

If anyone suspects this is their falcon, please let me know.

Thanks,

Justin

it's a kestral. contact the nearest conservation officer or wildlife rehabber or possibly animal control & get her into knowledeable hands & checked out.

California Native
06-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Justin,
If you don't have anyone on the way yet to pick this small falcon up ( it's a kestrel ) carefully coax it into a cardboard box and get it inside where nothing will hurt it. Keep it inside and out of the sun. Then get to a market and buy a few fresh chicken drumsticks. Skin one and put the other in the fridge. Cut very small pieces for it to eat. Cut the small pieces less than half the size of a small green pea. Put a small amount dipped in fresh cold water and then placed on a small dish or plate and offer it to this bird. If hungry, and I suspect it is, it should eat it. The water on the meat will give it moisture as it eats the meat. Allow it to eat as much meat as about a large red grape. Then an hour later about the same amount. Dip again in water before you put it on the dish. Keep it inside where a cat or dog will not get it. Keep the chicken in the fridge to keep it from spoiling. Chicken spoils fast. Get help from a Wildlife Rescue facility and one can be located in your town by using your computer or telephone directory.
Keep us posted and good luck. Work fast and get it fed and watered if no one is coming to help. Get it inside and out of the heat/sun.

Dan

Justin Z
06-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks everyone. Someone from Liberty Wildlife Rescue here in town is on their way. I appreciate the information, and the correction on the species of bird!

Justin

MrBill
06-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Thank you, Justin, for chiming in for information. You saved the little rascal.

Bill Boni

California Native
06-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Thank you, Justin, for chiming in for information. You saved the little rascal.

Bill Boni

Justin, I'm with Bill on thanking you for your quick actions to help this Kestrel. You likely saved it life. Way to go and keep it up.

Dan