PDA

View Full Version : Newish

Birdboy92
06-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Hey guys,
Finally getting my paperwork in next week after a long 6 year wait. I got into falconry when I was 13-14, and got as close as talking to a few sponsors, and taking the practice exams before life came at me. Now Im finishing up my undergrad over here in Idaho, then moving back to my hometown Over by Seattle, Wa in July. Over the past few years, I have read everything falconry I could get my hands on, taken every practice exam, I have all my equipment most of which I made myself except the glove, swivels, and scale. Ive made my own leashes, jesses, perches, etc. I even built my mews already. I welded up a nice bow perch, and I breed my own mice,quail, and rabbits.
I am taking a few internships when I finish up school, then applying to WSU's Vet program.
Im really glad to finally be able to get my own bird, and not have to drool over everyone elses :D
I think thats all for now,
Travis D

sharptail
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Welcome aboard Travis!

Barticus
06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Welcome Travis. When you get over here hit me up and we can go hunting. I'm up north of you in Lynden. By the way, who is your sponsor?

Birdboy92
06-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Currently I dont have a sponsor, the few people I have met with over the past few years have agreed to sponsor me, but I have to make the decision which one. So when I go home next week, I will hopefully have made up my mind, and turn in my paperwork. But Dale Pressnall, Wesley H,Chuck A, and Kenneth P are the people I have been in contact with.
Id love to come hunt with you, If you're willing to make a trip, I could take you to my favorite bunny hotspot.

Keith Denman
06-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Welcome aboard Travis

Ally
06-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Travis,
It sounds like you are more prepared than most of us, and I have a feeling you are going to do incredibly well. Good luck with whatever hawk you choose, and please keep us updated! Looking forward to hear some success stories. I'm a big fan of the WA falconers (you guys are awesome!) and may try to make it over for their Meet. Maybe I'll see you there?

Birdboy92
06-14-2012, 02:19 AM
I'll be at the meet, so I'd love to see you there! I plan on a redtail, but wouldn't mind a kessie since I have worked with them before. But my dog hunts rabbits, so that might be a problem for the little guy ;) . I also plan on updating and giving back to the falconry community that has been so gracious to let me pick their brains and ask the dumbest of questions. Some of my favorite reads are of new apprentices getting their first bird and the learning and excitement that comes with it.

Barticus
06-14-2012, 03:14 AM
Are you too.g to the Wa. Falconers Picnic? If so we can talk about a hunt there. It's a really good way to meet Wa. falconers.

Birdboy92
06-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Ya Ill be at the picnic.

Birdboy92
06-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Alright guys, paperwork is in! Now the waiting game...
Well more like the studying game.
After talking with my sponsor, I am leaning towards a kestrel. He actually recomends one as a first bird as they force you to pay closer attention to detail with weight management. Not only that, I have plenty of places to hunt rabbits, but the idea of hunting year round is pretty tempting. Then again, the idea of taking sparrows/mice/grasshoppers instead of rabbits is still nagging at me as I want to be able to run my dogs as much as I can while still taking the bird out as well. But I spose I have plenty of time to think about it. I already have all my equipement for a RT (glove,scale,perches,etc) and almost nothing for a kessie.
Can I get some input from you guys?

FredFogg
06-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Can I get some input from you guys?

As eager as you are to fly a bird year round, I can guarantee you it won't happen. The bird needs to molt and as much as you think you want to do this year round, you will need a break. I have flown from October all the way through July with a red-tail and kestrel and then a red-tail and a coopers hawk. I did it for 4 years. I probably will do it again some time, but not anytime soon. LOL If you have plenty of rabbit spots, fly a red-tail your first year. Sure, a kestrel is doable and yes, your sponsor is correct in that you will definately learn weight management with a kestrel. But you will also learn a lot of basic skills flying a red-tail that will help you do better with a kestrel. So I would say fly a red-tail your first year and then a kestrel your second, if you decide not to fly a red-tail your second year. Just my humble opinon! :D

Birdboy92
06-28-2012, 06:55 PM
I appreciate the advice, Fred. I do have a ton of rabbit spots, as I have been field trialing beagles for a while, as well as hunting with them. I also have a rabbit herd that I breed for meat as well. I will see what he says, If I end p flying a RT, I would love to fly a kestrel as well just to be more rounded, and explore my options.

Matt VonDerau
06-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Are you too.g to the Wa. Falconers Picnic? If so we can talk about a hunt there. It's a really good way to meet Wa. falconers.

Not during the meet I hope, we do have a season toungeout

Hey Travis! Glad to see ya...

Matt

Birdboy92
06-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Good to see you too Matt!
you planning on getting a new bird this year? Maybe an imprint.... :)

RT Alison
06-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Best of luck to you in your falconry future! Sounds like good solid preparation and support lined up.

Matt VonDerau
06-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Good to see you too Matt!
you planning on getting a new bird this year? Maybe an imprint.... :)

With my schedule I'm thinking about not subtracting a bird...

Birdboy92
06-30-2012, 02:59 AM
Thanks Alison!
Matt, you just have Roan, correct?

Matt VonDerau
06-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks Alison!
Matt, you just have Roan, correct?

Yup... Since last season.

Birdboy92
06-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Hows he doing? My sponsor also has a harris, his name is Ryan.

Matt VonDerau
06-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Hows he doing? My sponsor also has a harris, his name is Ryan.

Fat, in his mew. Talks to the dogs occasionally but mostly he just sits around and looks out the window.

Don't know him.

Birdboy92
07-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Alright, just got notification that my paperwork was approved, and I can call in and schedule my test!

Chris L.
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Alright, just got notification that my paperwork was approved, and I can call in and schedule my test!

Thats great Travis, let us know the results... Good luck!!!