PDA

View Full Version : new from so.cal

Rzst
06-20-2012, 03:13 AM
hello,

my name is Terry and i'm very interested in falconry i have already got all my study material and have read thru it twice i'm really excited to take my test but thought it would probably be a good idea to go on an actual hunt first. duh i know i just don't really know how to meet falconers to take me out with them so i hope this works. also i'm willing to travel or meet any pre-requirements you might have such as scouting out potential hunting areas etc.

thank you all very much and looking forward to moving forward with my apprenticeship.

Terry

California Native
06-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Welcome to NAFEX Terry. One of the falconry clubs in your state can help you connect to other falconers. Contact the California Hawking Club. They have a website. Some of the CHC members are on NAFEX and might help.

Dan

Venomlust
06-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Man, southern California is bringing it! I hope your interest keeps you on the course to getting your license. I'm almost there myself, and though I have limited experience, I have a few bits of advice to offer:

1) Attend the California Hawking Club's (CHC) annual field meet in Bakersfield (January 2013) and join the organization. The cost will probably be something around $45 for the membership/meet, and whatever hotel accommodations you may need/want. May be a bit of a drive from Temecula, but well worth it to mingle and see some birds/competitions. The banquet/raffle is great too.

2) Get your Hunter's Safety course and Apprentice Exam out of the way ASAP. I kept getting distracted from the apprentice exam, so I'll be taking it at the last second, hoping to get my license when trapping season starts. School/life can get in the way, but make the time for it if you can!

3) Call the CHC once you have your apprentice exam completed, they seem to prefer people with the test out of the way before they put in effort to find you a sponsor. Don't give up! It's tough finding a sponsor through this route, which is why I suggest being able to meet experienced falconers face-to-face at the field meet. Then they can size you up in person, rather than on some brief information the CHC liaison gives them. Be ready with your story, your interest/experience with hunting and falconry, your plans for the future, anything to show them that you're serious and have already committed yourself to the sport.

4) Start saving up for your hawk house/gear/courses/permits. You can spend less on certain things, and make others yourself, but the process isn't cheap.

Again, I'm not a licensed falconer so this is the best advice I can offer you, but it's a start. Good luck!

California Native
06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Terry, you can contact your state fish and game for a list of falconers who are willing to be a sponsor. You have some great falconers living not far from where you now live. They may be on that list.
Dan

sharptail
06-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Welcome Terry! I am not sure where Murrieta is but NAFEX member Jeff Bertch in in Bodega Bay. Is that in your area?

Rzst
06-20-2012, 04:05 PM
thanks all for the responses also i will def. be at the next meet in bakersfield maybe i'll see ya there venomlust as for bodega bay its 8+ hours away unfortunately but thanks again for the advice and i'm off to the chc website to join up.

Terry

California Native
06-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Welcome Terry! I am not sure where Murrieta is but NAFEX member Jeff Bertch in in Bodega Bay. Is that in your area?

Jeff, It's not far from Temecula. Out that way is Lance Stump, Kevin Triolo, Dave Cherry, Gary Beese and Eric Steinhauer. Lots of expereince among those names for sure.

Dan

Venomlust
06-30-2012, 12:46 PM
i will def. be at the next meet in bakersfield maybe i'll see ya there venomlust

Well, tell ya what, when the meet approaches I'll send you a message and get your phone number if that's cool with you. I don't really know many people there but if I happen to meet someone from your area I can try to introduce you. Gotta do what we can to help each other out!