PDA

View Full Version : DMV(DC,MD,VA)Bird of Pray Lover new to Community

War
06-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Hello everyone I Stephon Im from Washington DC Im a Animal Control Officer from PG County that often encounter injured BOP which break my heart. As a kid I loved birds and my second tattoo was a Perigine, I didnt even know falconry was legal in my area until I got a call for a man housing falcon's in a bird cage in his backyard. I got to the house and found the complaint was false the guy had large a gorgous mew with a falcon house housing 2 Peregines and a Hybrid. Since then Ive been trying to learn as much about this sport as possible. Unfortunatly DC has outlawed falconry but I will be moving back the Maryland in December and I would love to meet some folks in the area and see what Im missing.

Ally
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Welcome to NAFEX! I've been on the receiving end of a similar complaint--my old neighbors called and reported that I was keeping a baby eagle tied up in my back yard...my red-tail out weathering on a bow perch.

Good luck and keep reading...there is a lot of great info here!

War
06-24-2012, 03:10 PM
lol that sux, the falconer was cool, I was like a kid in a candy store he let me hold his Hybrid, I'll post pics soon. Ally how long have you kept birds?

Hawkmom
06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Go to this site to learn more about falconry. www.themodernapprentice.com Also www.n-a-f-a.com And the links on both sites. Good luck.

The DC area is where a large portion of American falconry started.

Ally
06-24-2012, 03:25 PM
For far, far less time than some of the folks on here. I'm starting my 7th season in falconry...that particular instance happened when I was an apprentice :P

War
06-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Great info Hawkmom, I definitely will bookmark those sites thanks, Ally that's still impressive 7yrs is a good amount of time at any hobby/sport especially when your caring for animals