PDA

View Full Version : New-looking for sponsor

Nimure
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi,

My name is Lindsay. I'm currently in Auburn, AL for school. I'm heading back to the Orlando, FL area next month and plan to get started in falconry. I'd like to find a sponsor and hope to take the test by September so I can trap this season. I've been in contact with Eric Edwards and he suggested I get started on here, or at least look for a sponsor on this site.

I'm really excited to finally be able to do this (I've been obsessed with falconry since I was 9, for 12 years now) and I can't wait to meet some falconers in my area.

-Lindsay

Ally
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Welcome Lindsay! Always happy to see more young ladies interested in the sport, but maybe I'm biased? :D

Eric Edwards is a good one to be in contact with :) Contact the FL club, go to the summer picnic if possible, but I would take the test and pass it first before asking around for sponsorship.

Good luck and welcome!

Nimure
07-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Always happy to see more young ladies interested in the sport, but maybe I'm biased?Haha, there do seem to be a lot of men, don't there? XD

I'm only feeling around for a sponsor now because I'm worried that I'll have taken the test, and be ready to trap, but won't be able to get a sponsor, and will have to wait until the next season.

Thank you for the welcome. :) I've seen a few of your posts around on the apprentice falconry board. I was just reading earlier about your hawk taking an ermine. ^^ That was pretty cool!

I would really like a sponsor, but even more than that, I'd like to meet some falconers in my area. Get to know people, and go hunting with them. I can't honestly expect someone to just jump on board as a sponsor without knowing anything about me. :)

So yeah, just really hoping to get to know people. I'm planning on attending one of the FFA meets in september, but Edwards wasn't really open with names and contact info for people, so I don't know how to find out about hunts or stuff that may be going on in the mean time. So if you don't mind a tag-along (I have been out before with a falconer in Auburn, so I know some of the basic hunting rules) please contact me. PMs work, or email at kechara19@gmail.com.

Ross.Spafford
07-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Hey,

Have you been out to the raptor center at Auburn? There a couple very talented falconers who work out there. Probably not potential sponsors, since you'll be moving away, but they can definitely point you in the right direction.

Nimure
07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I have been to the raptor center in Auburn (I actually used to be a volunteer for the rehab section). I didn't realize originally, that the education department was more what I was wanting to do. However, by the time I realized it, it was too late to get a volunteer spot.

I will try emailing them today, and see if they know anyone in FL who could help.

Nimure
07-03-2012, 04:07 PM
but I would take the test and pass it first before asking around for sponsorship.

This is essentially what I planned to do, but on the FWC site they say that I need a sponsor and housing built before I can take the exam.

Joby
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM
BTW Lindsay, before the forum police get on you, you'll need to sign each of your posts with your real name. It's easiest to just add it to your signature line.

Nimure
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Oops. I remembered that for my first post, but forgot for the others. ^^;;

Think I fixed it now. Added a sig with my name.

FredFogg
07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
How about some pictures to show us your new-look? LOL toungeout:D

Nimure
07-04-2012, 05:42 PM
To re-phrase my initial, blurb....

I would really, really like the chance to go out hawking with anyone in the Florida area (apprentice or whatever, I don't care). I'd actually really like to learn how to beat brush, as I've only ever gone out squirrel hawking before.

I spend a lot of time outdoors, and am no stranger to rough habitat. I like reptiles, and have spend 6 hours or more out in the heat, forest, field and swamp looking for all different kinds of creepy-crawlies. I have been out with a falconer before, so I'm familiar with most of the basic bird-hunting-rule stuff.

I also have no issues with dispatching of prey or seeing blood and gore. I used to work in a raptor rehab center (the SE one mentioned above in Auburn, AL) and spent most of my time cleaning and feeding (which means cutting up specific amounts of food for the animals). I also would handle the wild birds in order to move them out of their cage for cleaning, so I have a pretty decent idea of how to work with a wild hawk while wearing a glove.

As I stated before, I can't really expect someone who doesn't know me to sponsor me. I'm really just looking for the chance to get to meet some people, and get more experience hunting in the field.

For anyone who is curious, I'm just getting out of college (22) and will be (hopefully) working as an animal keeper at Gatorland (or some other animal based facility). I should have plenty of time on my hands to hunt with people, and eventually work with a bird of my own.

tampamatt
07-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Hi Lindsay,

I'm now located in the Orlando area. When you get to town I'd be more than happy to show you around the Center for Birds of Prey and talk falconry. Several good falconers in central Florida and Tampa as well. Feel free to PM me.

Nimure
07-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Sent you a PM Matt. :) Thank you!

ericedw
07-05-2012, 07:21 PM
See, I knew you could find someone here.

And I'm not against giving out names and contact info of falconers but I think this site is a good place to connect with people and I knew you would find what you're looking for on here. There are quite a few falconers in the Orlando area here. You wanted to find falconers, you found em.

You're even welcome to come out and see my birds fly any time. I live in Lake Hamilton, FL and will most likely fly a passage merlin and/or peregrine this season but I won't have a bird until Oct. and you should certainly get out with some people closer to where you'll be.

You should certainly take Matt up on his offer to see the BOP Center.

Nimure
07-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Hey, Eric, I meant to ask, do I have to do anything else to join the FFA, or did I just need to submit the application?

I'd love to come out and watch you fly (especially the peregrine. I've only seen one flown once (at a renn faire), and was really impressed).

I've told a few people, but I'm thinking that trying to do everything to get a bird this season is just rushing it too much. And this is not something I want to try to hurry along. So I'll take the test when I'm ready for it, build my mews at a decent time (my dad will also probably kill me if I'm more motivated on building the mews than, I dunno, moving, lol). I'll spend this year going out hunting with whomever will take me, and next year I'll aim for getting a bird. It will be better in the long run anyway, as I will be working and doing an internship (graduation requirement). Once the internship is done (ends around Dec. 3rd) then I will have even more time to devote to a hawk.

but I still plan to be heavily involved in hunting with people, and you can bet that I will be staying in contact and asking lots of questions. :)

Oh, and on the bit about names, I only meant that you don't really know me yet, or my interest level in the sport, and I don't really expect to contact people online and have them offer up their club members names to a total stranger (maybe things are different in falconry, I'm not sure. I've just always been taught discretion when online. So I wasn't expecting to be giving free contact info when you don't really even know who I am. ^^).

ericedw
07-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Hey, Eric, I meant to ask, do I have to do anything else to join the FFA, or did I just need to submit the application?

I'd love to come out and watch you fly (especially the peregrine. I've only seen one flown once (at a renn faire), and was really impressed).

No, the application is fine.

I usually try to hunt snipe with my peregrine. If you saw one fly at a renn faire it's pretty much the same thing. :D

tampamatt
07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I usually try to hunt snipe with my peregrine. If you saw one fly at a renn faire it's pretty much the same thing. :D

clappclappclapp

Nimure
07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Snipe?

frootdog
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Snipe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

ericedw
07-06-2012, 05:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

Are you sure it's not this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

frootdog
07-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Are you sure it's not this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

Could be. :D

Dirthawking
07-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Snipe?

What they call engine men in the US Navy. :D

Nimure
07-06-2012, 05:46 PM
haha, I get it now. Though I read the second article first and got confused for a moment, lol. XD

Sounds pretty cool! I didn't know people flew peregrines at birds other than ducks and like quail/pigeons.

rri32701
07-06-2012, 08:59 PM
When I was a kid my evil brother dropped me off in the woods with a flashlight and pillow case to catch snipe.

Lowachi
07-07-2012, 01:06 AM
When I was a kid my evil brother dropped me off in the woods with a flashlight and pillow case to catch snipe.

catch any? :D

rri32701
07-07-2012, 09:55 AM
catch any? :D
No but it put me on a life long quest that I just relized this year.