PDA

View Full Version : White "N" Whiter

sakerjack
07-12-2012, 07:42 AM
New white Lizard Hood saver with matching White Snake Cole-Man hood. I am like many that are not a big fan of snake skin on hoods as most have scales that can easily be scratched off. The skin I used is from a scale- less species and is very similar to a lizard skin.Very tough and durable and both skins are washable .

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/002-17.jpg

COMEAUX
07-12-2012, 08:18 AM
WOW!Ken, that would have to go in a case,it sure would be hard to keep clean:eek: What kind of root is that? confusedd That is really nice beeer

Keith Denman
07-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Magnificent Ken. I love that nice clean look. Pure. That is what you should call it the Pure Look Hood.

sakerjack
07-12-2012, 08:45 AM
WOW!Ken, that would have to go in a case,it sure would be hard to keep clean:eek: What kind of root is that? confusedd That is really nice beeer

Chris,, these skins I used are very durable and you can easily just wipe them clean. The root, wouldn't have a clue ,,found it while walking the dogs, washed it applied some varnish and Whalla!!

Lowachi
07-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Chris,, these skins I used are very durable and you can easily just wipe them clean. The root, wouldn't have a clue ,,found it while walking the dogs, washed it applied some varnish and Whalla!!

is "Whalla" canuck for "Voila"??;)

Look good Ken

sakerjack
07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
is "Whalla" canuck for "Voila"??;)

Look good Ken

YUPPER

oldguy
07-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Don't let 'um give ya any crap aboot the way Canadians talk, eh! Walla is a perfectly good way to spell that word. Now if you were a ways east, it would have to be "viola". Enough there. Better arret while I'm ahead.

I have come to the conclusion that you were scared by something startlingly beautiful when you were young. You do come up with the prettiest acoutrements.

sakerjack
07-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Magnificent Ken. I love that nice clean look. Pure. That is what you should call it the Pure Look Hood.

Thanks KD,, good one...

sakerjack
07-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Don't let 'um give ya any crap aboot the way Canadians talk, eh! Walla is a perfectly good way to spell that word. Now if you were a ways east, it would have to be "viola". Enough there. Better arret while I'm ahead.

I have come to the conclusion that you were scared by something startlingly beautiful when you were young. You do come up with the prettiest acoutrements.

We have a language all our own OG!! Very good!!!

Chris Proctor
07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I am like many that are not a big fan of snake skin on hoods as most have scales that can easily be scratched off. The skin I used is from a sch and durable and both skins are washableale- less species and is very similar to a lizard skin.Very toug .

I agree, snake skin is not a good eye panel laminante. The snake skin you're referring to though (if I am seeing your skin right), is called a Krung snake on the market, though to the rest of the world it is a species of asian Rat snake, small keeled scales as opposed to large flat laying scales. Kinda like a sea snake...if that makes sense. Not scaleless though.

Love that white lizard though...

sakerjack
07-12-2012, 07:37 PM
I agree, snake skin is not a good eye panel laminante. The snake skin you're referring to though (if I am seeing your skin right), is called a Krung snake on the market, though to the rest of the world it is a species of asian Rat snake, small keeled scales as opposed to large flat laying scales. Kinda like a sea snake...if that makes sense. Not scaleless though.

Love that white lizard though...

Thank you Chris,, to answer your ?..You are incorrect.There is really NO no such thing as Karung Snake,, it is an Elephant Trunk Snake. They use their hides as filing paper, they are totally Aquatic.. I kept a few years ago as pets when I kept snakes.. Very tough , durable and very lizard like..And they are Scaless Unlike most snakes Over time I think the snake will outlast the lizard.....
PM sent!!!

Chris Proctor
07-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Thank you Chris,, to answer your ?..You are incorrect.There is really NO no such thing as Karung Snake,, it is an Elephant Trunk Snake. They use their hides as filing paper, they are totally Aquatic.. I kept a few years ago as pets when I kept snakes.. Very tough , durable and very lizard like..And they are Scaless Unlike most snakes Over time I think the snake will outlast the lizard.....
PM sent!!!

Ahh, that's what they are! I've been using it too and I know there's no such thing as the "Karung" snake, it's just a traders name for it. That's why it resembles sea snake skin so much then, makes sense.

You realize, I'm just a snake dude....which is why it interests me so much.

Tom Smith
07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
As long as the scales are going in right direction that the hawk doesn't scratch them off or they are a type that don't lend themselves to being scratched off were my considerations when I used to make hoods.

Some hoods I have seen, while being very pretty, looked like they would resemble a snow storm when a hawk scratched them a little.

Chris Proctor
07-13-2012, 12:18 AM
As long as the scales are going in right direction that the hawk doesn't scratch them off or they are a type that don't lend themselves to being scratched off were my considerations when I used to make hoods.

Some hoods I have seen, while being very pretty, looked like they would resemble a snow storm when a hawk scratched them a little.

It also in how they're tanned and treated, some snake skin when tanned and treated right will hold up better. Ken has it right with this snake skin though, as it's the best I've found for hoods snake skin wise. It's good stuff.

As for the snake skin itself though, Elephant Trunk snakes are not scaleless, though they do have a warty, bumping kind of scale. VERY cool snakes in person...they're so fat with small heads.

Chris Proctor
07-13-2012, 02:11 AM
And they are Scaless Unlike most snakes Over time I think the snake will outlast the lizard.....
PM sent!!!

I've been using it since 2004, it doesn't out last lizard unfortunately. It is much lighter weight than lizard so I wish it did hold up. Still, it is good for hoods.

Found a good definition on why their skins make for good hood laminates (as far as snake skin is concerned) though, their scales help to grip fish:

"Commonly known as the Elephant Trunk Snake, though that name can be used for all members of this family, this species is the best known member of the wart snake family. It is found throughout southeastern Asia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia), particularly in Indonesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia), northern Australia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia), and New Guinea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Guinea). It is the largest member of its family. Like other wart snakes, it is totally aquatic, and feeds on fish. It hunts fish mostly at night. It's specialize raised scales help it hold on to slippery fish."

Chris Proctor
07-13-2012, 02:24 AM

Here's a hood that is only 1 1/2 years old that I made for a fellow Utah falconer. He didn't tell me until earlier this year that the hood was a little big, though he used it regardless, and the bird scratched away. This is (was) "Karung" snake skin (why importers and traders call it Karung I have no idea). Barely held up a year. Lizard skin can hold up to most eagles for a few seasons before they look like this, and most falcons and hawks could probably never get a lizard skin hood to look like this.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx242/Chris_Proctor/Snake-skin.jpg

sakerjack
07-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Here's a hood that is only 1 1/2 years old that I made for a fellow Utah falconer. He didn't tell me until earlier this year that the hood was a little big, though he used it regardless, and the bird scratched away. This is (was) "Karung" snake skin (why importers and traders call it Karung I have no idea). Barely held up a year. Lizard skin can hold up to most eagles for a few seasons before they look like this, and most falcons and hawks could probably never get a lizard skin hood to look like this.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx242/Chris_Proctor/Snake-skin.jpg

Eagles can be tough on hoods and I don't think any hide would stand up to daily scratching if the hood isn't just right.I still think this hide will last a long time, we shall see these were made for larger falcons time will tell. You mentioned tanning process perhaps my hide was done differently than the hide you tried, never know,, the hide I have is pretty thick and tough, I have to disagree about the scales though they are very lizard like. Anway I like the look and am confident they will hold up if not I replace the hood.