PDA

View Full Version : Chat Box.. Yes or No????

Chris L.
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Well it seems the Chat is working great. I need to know what the members think of it.. Should we keep it or be done with it. Please vote on the poll and leave any comments about it

let me know

Chris L.
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
ok guys.. please leave feed back for yes or for no.. it will help out

goshawks00
01-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Hey Chris,
I like the chat feature... can't imagine why anyone wouldn't and am curious why they are not for having it as another way to help communications... what say you nay sayers>
Barry

Jimmy
01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I find it interesting that the ones that say dump it really care.... if you don't like it, ignore it. problem solved.

MikeT307
01-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I think it's a cool feature for the boards and will help clear up any quick questions people may have about particular posts or things of that nature.

Like Jimmy said, why not just leave it and those who want to use it, use it; and those that don't like it, don't have to use it.

Falcon Boy
01-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Only reason i said dump it was for one thing, which should have been more of a change something rather than dump it, is there a way so it can display messages from further back? Every now and again ill see something interesting and the whole beginning of the convo is cut off.

wesleyc6
01-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I voted no for some of the same reasons Chris said he wasn't going to add one. There will be info shared amongst members of the board, that I might want to read today and in 3 weeks. If you aren't constantly monitoring it, things get buried. There are no subject headers there so one can decide if you want to dig through it. Also, I like the gentle feel here in this forum, and unless Chris or Kory moderates the chat, it won't be moderated. Maybe LOVESFRESHWATER will show up and chat. :eek:

Jimmy
01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
is there a way so it can display messages from further back?.

Yesterday there was 10 pages of chat, and it doesn't seem to roll back today. Settings change maybe?

Jimmy
01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
There will be info shared amongst members of the board, that I might want to read today and in 3 weeks.

The chat seems to be just mostly short BS sessions, without any meat. I doubt you're missing much substance.

goshawks00
01-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Wes I understand what you are saying but do you think that if the chat wasn't there that what ever you saw would be discussed in the regular forum? Some one has to ask the question and many times it is a side comment through general conversation that brings this up... I don't believe you will find that in the current threads as readily....

Maybe it's time for a pay to play ... even if it's only for chat services ... then this site could afford to store threads..... but to cut it off because you don't want things said that are of value if you can't find them ... hmm. I guess I don't get that. Or maybe I am misunderstanding you
Barry

wesleyc6
01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't know if people have to be spurred or not. I just like the forum and the way it is set up. It is easy for me to find info. Honestly, I will do just what Jimmy said either way. I will ignore it. Since Chris asked, I was just throwing my 2 cents in there. If he hadn't of asked, I would do just what I have done since I looked at it once.............not look again. I don't want things not said because I can't find them. I want things that are said to be where I can find them, less I miss a tidbit of info from all the great falconers here.:D

Falcon Boy
01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Yesterday there was 10 pages of chat, and it doesn't seem to roll back today. Settings change maybe?

I didn't see the page button, thanks!

Chris L.
01-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Well I will throw some reasoning in behind the chat.

I wasn't going to put it on NAFEX but decided to as I want the members to get to know each other better and have a little fun. As you can see I have added a very very lite chat, meaning it is not very powerful so full on conversations cant happen. I have slowed the refresh down to 20 seconds so it wont suck the server resources Quicker refresh equals slower server.. also, the refresh will detour huge blab session on it. I could implement a more powerful chat but I feel it will take away from the boards. It really is just a place to say hello and BS a few short sentences or ask a really quick question.

I have enjoyed it.. it really is fun to get to know each other on a different level. It feel it will bring a different twist to the forums.

One of my concerns is moderating it, i can do that.. I can actually delete one line of the chat, all the chat or delete a certain users chat conversation.... we all can get out of hand and if Chat gets abused I will take it off. So we all need to do out part and keep it clean and have fun.. again it really is to just say hello and B.s a little.

I do like being able to ask a quick question now and then.

I can keep a log of the chats.. It was being logged until I cleared it out today.. As I said, hopefully there wont be any to in depth conversation on it so it wont take away from the boards..let me know how long you guys like for the chats to be logged..

also, if you dont want to see the chat, you can minimize it.. there is a little arrow tab in the upper right corner of the box.. it will make it go away.

Wes, give it a shot it is fun to do.. especially when Jimmy keeps mooning us rockon

thank you guys for the comments.. please keep them coming. I hope I have helped clear up some questions

outhawkn
01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I voted no because you computer guy's can get on here and type away. And leave the rest of us out of the conversation. Which is OK cause i never have anything important to say anywaystupd. So you'll end up not posting and I'll miss whats going on. Its already happening. Wasnt going to give my opinion but since you asked..confusedd

Jimmy
01-02-2008, 07:23 PM
What have you missed, Bill?

outhawkn
01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Chris put a Poll Question on the forum, I responded, then read further and he asked and I quote " I need to know what the members think of it.. Should we keep it or be done with it. Please vote on the poll and leave any comments about it"

So I went ahead and expressed my point of view.

here is what will happen. those who have access to the computer all day (at work or what have you) will start exchanging comments and then you'll start sharing little bits of good info. These things wont get put on the forum for the rest of us and after a little while their will be a little group of chatters and then the rest of us. I could be wrong, have been before and will be again. But that IS my opinion.

Folks ,Chris asked mine and your opinions, surely I can have my own opinion?????confusedd

wesleyc6
01-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Exactly Bill! I agree with you. Hey, here is the cool thing about it though, the others can ridicule us in the chat room and make snide remarks. It will make the site much more friendly I think (dripping sarcasm)

outhawkn
01-02-2008, 09:00 PM
the others can ridicule us in the chat room and make snide remarks.

That would at least be better than PM's......................

wesleyc6
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Ah man, you mean people PM about me tooconfusedd

Jimmy
01-02-2008, 09:05 PM
the others can ridicule us in the chat room and make snide remarks.

sounds like you've been reading the chat......toungeout

Chris L.
01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
C

Folks ,Chris asked mine and your opinions, surely I can have my own opinion?????confusedd

Yes, please post them. I like hearing what others think. The board is here for you all , the members.. So yes, keep the comments coming.

goshawks00
01-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Ah Chris on second thought if this chat thing is going to cause hard feelings or a bunch of whining take it off. I hate it when folks feel like they are missing something because they don't want to invest the time and wish everything on a silver platter. That in it's self is kind of wierd , but wanting to deny other the opportunity if they want to is just poor selfish logic.
nuff said :eek:

outhawkn
01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Ah Chris on second thought if this chat thing is going to cause hard feelings or a bunch of whining take it off. I hate it when folks feel like they are missing something because they don't want to invest the time and wish everything on a silver platter. That in it's self is kind of wierd , but wanting to deny other the opportunity if they want to is just poor selfish logic.
nuff said :eek:

Who you talking about Barry................and as far as whining, who sent who a PM whining about the way they voted?

Rudd
01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Chat is great. Those who can't participate lose out. So what if someone talks about you while you aren't there? It's no different than a PM, a phone conversation or doing it at a meet.

You really arent going to miss anything in chat other than a chance to get to know people on a personal level. It will be the office water cooler. On a reptile board I visit chat is usually an organized event. It's there for anyone to use any time but usually people will post in the main forum inviting others to chat. You have to click a link then login and you are there. Seems Tuesdays at 10pm eastern time is the normal time but like most chats the use dies off after the initial thrill.

goshawks00
01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Well Bill as long as you've brought it up I ask what your reasoning was and if you'd like to post any messages I've sent you , go ahead , I've said it here and to you, if you don't like it fine , I have no problem with you not liking it, the problem I have is with you trying to stop those that do want to use it. Your fear of there being two separate groups within this forum is unfounded, but let's say it did result in that... so what... where's your fear in that... why do you care?

outhawkn
01-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Well Bill as long as you've brought it up I ask what your reasoning was and if you'd like to post any messages I've sent you , go ahead , I've said it here and to you, if you don't like it fine , I have no problem with you not liking it, the problem I have is with you trying to stop those that do want to use it. Your fear of there being two separate groups within this forum is unfounded, but let's say it did result in that... so what... where's your fear in that... why do you care?

Barry

Get a grip man. It was a poll. Only 3 people voted no at last count. Its not a big deal. I dont like the chat feature so I wont use it, simple as that. I will be sure from now on to ask you how I should vote on any future polls............

Whats my fear...are you on drugs?

The PMs arent important to me but you accused me of whining when in fact you were the one who was whining...............
Barry go get a beer or something and relax dude. crazyy

Jack
01-03-2008, 02:00 AM
What chat? I have been all over this thing and have not seen anything that says chat.

If someone will quite whining long enough to explain to my just how to get to the chat.

Jack

Falcon Boy
01-03-2008, 02:15 AM
http://www.nafex.net/

3rd box down in the center

Jimmy
01-03-2008, 09:48 AM
or.... http://www.nafex.net//forums.php
near the bottom.

Grahame
01-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Why does the chat box appear on my computer at home but not on my computer at work?

Chris L.
01-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Why does the chat box appear on my computer at home but not on my computer at work?

your work may not allow java script as it can have some security issues. Alot of businesses will block it as it can open their servers up for attacks

Grahame
01-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Ah, that is probably it Chris. Though I am sure I have been to sites that use Java.

I will check my Java settings.

Thank you.