PDA

View Full Version : Interesting behavior in my male Gos

varanus
07-22-2012, 01:21 AM
First I'll say this is my first gos of any kind so my experience is limited to just him. So I've noticed the last few days that when I stroke down his back from his neck down to the base of his tail he bends down low and lifts his tail way up and off to the side a little bit. Now I've heard that females will present this way but I've never heard of a male doing it. I condition all of my birds to being touched all over so I've done this to several other male birds (all passage or chamber birds) and I've never seen another bird do it. I'm not worried or anything but I just thought it was interesting and want to know if this is something imprints do or if he is just a bit odd. I plan to put on his track pack here pretty soon and this will help me to do that since he stands very still (and will do so for several minutes) while I pet him. I'll have to have a picture taken of him when he does this sometime.

allredone
07-22-2012, 02:03 AM
First I'll say this is my first gos of any kind so my experience is limited to just him. So I've noticed the last few days that when I stroke down his back from his neck down to the base of his tail he bends down low and lifts his tail way up and off to the side a little bit. Now I've heard that females will present this way but I've never heard of a male doing it. I condition all of my birds to being touched all over so I've done this to several other male birds (all passage or chamber birds) and I've never seen another bird do it. I'm not worried or anything but I just thought it was interesting and want to know if this is something imprints do or if he is just a bit odd. I plan to put on his track pack here pretty soon and this will help me to do that since he stands very still (and will do so for several minutes) while I pet him. I'll have to have a picture taken of him when he does this sometime.

That is interesting. Would be cool to see a picture or video.

varanus
07-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Yeah I'l have to get my wife to take one tomorrow. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has seen this from a male bird before.

wingnut
07-22-2012, 07:40 AM
My male gos, which is about the same age as yours, does this also. I just interpreted it as being just a balance thing. My cat does the same thing. Their posture changes in a flow like pattern as you move your hand from head to tail. At least that's what I figured.

skooky20
07-22-2012, 01:26 PM
or he doesnt like it and is getting into attack mode :D

varanus
07-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Could be a balance thing I guess but it looks like it would put him off balance more than help him keep his balance, and he will stay that way for a minute or two after I stop touching him confusedd.

varanus
07-22-2012, 01:46 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/shortwingn/IMG00425-20120331-1110.jpg

Looks a lot like this only he lifts his tail a bit more and off to the side a little.

wingnut
07-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Could be a balance thing I guess but it looks like it would put him off balance more than help him keep his balance, and he will stay that way for a minute or two after I stop touching him confusedd.

That does sound a little ....umm..odd. Especially the way he retains that posture that long after stroking him. Maybe Barry can offer some sort of explanation. Not that it's anything to be concerned about but I'm like you, I like to know what's going on in their heads.

christopher.vly
07-22-2012, 04:07 PM
In pigeons Ive seen females mount the males. Its kinda wierd... I wonder if anyone has seen this in hawks?

Richard
07-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Looks a lot like this only he lifts his tail a bit more and off to the side a little.

You mean like this?

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q515/accipiter3/Sexualresponsetopetting72912.jpg

Common with females, but I've never heard of a male doing it. Maybe it's just one of those teenage, growing up things. I'm hoping my bird will remember this and make some babies as a brown bird this spring.

hank
07-29-2012, 05:18 PM
so funny, i think he is atracked to you,watch out! by the way beautifull bird thanks for the great thread

BestBeagler
07-29-2012, 05:53 PM
You mean like this?

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q515/accipiter3/Sexualresponsetopetting72912.jpg

Common with females, but I've never heard of a male doing it. Maybe it's just one of those teenage, growing up things. I'm hoping my bird will remember this and make some babies as a brown bird this spring.

Richard,

My Gos does the same thing, but it's when she's laying down and very relaxed. Now when her weight going down this behavior has not happened. I noticed it when I thought she was a he, but if I remember right my male gos did the same thing.

varanus
07-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Yeah a bit like that only his tail goes up a bit more. He hasn't done it in a little while since I put his track pack on.

OATS
08-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Even young downies will do this, male or female. By lightly patting/pressing on top of the chick's back between the wings with your flat palm you will illicit this response. They will ball up there feet and gradually lay flat and hold still. The hand may imitate mom laying down on them to brood them. As they get older the response becomes more of a tipping bow with the tail moved to the side. It is not a balance thing at all. All of my imprints have done this whether male or female.