PDA

View Full Version : Hello from MI

RosieTheFalconer
08-12-2012, 03:26 PM
My name is Laura and I have been waiting patiently (okay maybe not so patiently) to get involved with falconry. I am the beginner of beginners, just starting and quite excited to say the least. I live in Michigan, currently, but may be moving at some point (not soon) to another state because of work. Currently I am avidly researching and learning the ins and outs of falconry... Hopefully soon I will start studying for the test, making hoods and jesses and everything else DIY, and eventually getting a bird. Right now I am thinking Red Tail? Originally I wanted a Kestrel, but now after reading quite a bit of threads on here of personal experiences and advice, I have started to lean more towards a Red Tail- which I am still quite happy about. They are very beautiful and I can't help but smile thinking that I will have one sitting on my arm one day!!

Laura Bates

KidK
08-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi Laura.

I'm Kory, the public relations coordinator for the Michigan Hawking Club.

There are many active falconers in Michigan and quite a few in your area.

A great place for you to start is the Michigan Hawking Club website.

Click on the link below my name.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any help.

RosieTheFalconer
08-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Thank you Kory!!
I was on that site a while back and learned some valuable information. I was looking to see if there was any events for Apprentices or pre-apprentices, but I didn't see any coming up in the near future.

DirtHawker
08-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Welcome Laura,
Ditto on what Kory said. Check the MHC website event calendar. There are also events that club members will be at, Hawkfest at Lake Erie Metro Park is probably the next event on Sept 17 and 18. The club mans a booth there, it is great place to meet some falconers and see some birds. Other events that the club supports are Huntin Time Expo in Grand Rapids, usually in Jan. and Outdoorama in Novi around March.

You just missed a couple of club events, the falconry workshop and the club picnic were held in July. You should try to attendthe winter field meet held in Lansing, tenatively scheduled Feb, 2. and also there is usally a west side meet, it is also tenatively sheduled for Dec. 8. These are great events to meet falconers and go on some hunts with falconers.
Sue

REYNALDO
08-13-2012, 11:52 PM
(welc) Laura

RosieTheFalconer
08-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you Sue and Rey! = )
Sue I am looking forward to that winter meet held in Lansing! I would like to attend!
This may sound like a silly question, but when you take the test does it have an expiration date or can you take it a little while beforehand?
Thanks!

sharptail
08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi! Just curious, so your name is Laura...Who is Rosie?

Welcome aboard!

Tim M W
08-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Welcome Laura,

I hope you find a sponsor, get your license and everything works out for you. Falconry is a great way to hunt.

Tim Weeks
Corona, CA

rsimone
08-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi Laura, welcome.

MyAbusa
08-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi! Just curious, so your name is Laura...Who is Rosie?

Welcome aboard!

Rosie was the Riveter... Maybe she changed occupations. :-)

Welcome Laura. (welc)

krichcreek
08-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Welcome Laura. This time last year it was still a dream for me. Now I'm waiting for my trapping permit to arrive and September to roll around. It's within reach if you want it. thumbsupp

wilkiesc
08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Welcome Laura. Too bad you couldn't have posted a little sooner. The Apprentice Workshop was pretty awesome!

REYNALDO
08-17-2012, 11:33 PM
you can take the test whenever you want even before you start doing anything. i don't think it has an expiration date. a lot of would be sponsors like that you take the test first anyways. it seems t help in trying to find a sponsor.

RosieTheFalconer
08-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! I look forward to reading all about your falconry days and postings.
Haha, T.J. you are right! Yes Rosie was indeed the Riveter. But to answer your question Jeff, Laura is my first name, Rose being my middle. Everyone in my family calls me Rose or Rosie so I took the play on words of that famous female figure and made my own version of it.
Thank you Rey for answering that. I assumed it wouldn't expire but it is always nice to know that for a fact. I also agree with you, I feel as if a sponsor would highly appreciate if you did take the first few steps before you ask for their help.
I agree Scott, I wish I would have posted sooner!
Ken!! That is so exciting!!! What are you planning to fly??
It is quite exciting getting to know you all! = )