PDA

View Full Version : 2006-2007 South Carolina Falconry meet

Yarak
01-10-2007, 11:59 PM
It will be Feb 24th in Blythewood. If you are anywhere nearby please come.
This is only our second meet as our state just formed its club last year. Now, when we are just getting going, is the time we need the support of our fellow falconers. More details will be forthcoming but I can say that Gary Brewer will be our guest speaker. There IS something to be said about southern hospitality! We need your support so if you can PLEASE attend.
Yarak

Jimmy
01-11-2007, 01:04 PM
How many falconers are there in SC? As I recall, there aren't all that many. I was invited to another meet that same weekend, but may be inclined to attend yours instead. The distance is about the same, and I've hunted with the other guys plenty of times.............. I look forward to hearing more details, such as quarry, motels, etc.

everetkhorton
01-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Yarak:
How about using your real name. Have you contacted NAFA about becoming a Affiliate Club member. If not contact Andrew Bulled at 410.763.8156. He is the director for your area and can point you in the right direction.
Ev. Michigan

Yarak
01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks I will ask our president and forward his number on if not.
Keith

lcfalconer
01-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Jimmy,
We have about 30 or so members. Not all are SC falconers. About half are falconers in SC. The meet will be in Blythewood SC. Info on motels will be announced in the near future.

As far as land and game. We will be hunting the same piece of property that is owned by a member’s brother. Last year it was loaded with squirrels and almost everyone who hunted took game. Carhawking in and around Blythewood was very productive last year as well.

Ev,
It is my understanding that we have been working on becoming an affiliate club of NAFA.

Wayne

`Chris L.
01-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Dont forget about the Bar B que.. the man can slow cook a pig. It was the best Que i have eating a long time... I hope he makes a ton of it again [smilie=banana.gif]

everetkhorton
01-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Wayne:
Great, remember to plan your events well in advance. That way you can put them in the HC and people can plan ahead. Also post your club new's and meet with pic.
Ev. Michigan

`Chris L.
01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Here is the flyer sent to the memebers.. hope this helps and I hope to meet some new people [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

http://nafex.net/test/scfa.jpg

`Chris L.
01-13-2007, 01:00 PM
That evening, If anyone has a bird ready to night hawk and wants to go I will take you back to columbia ( 20 min from the meet) and we can fly on the pigeons [smilie=banana.gif] ... should be a fun weekend

Baine
01-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Ev

SCFA leadership voted and I believe paid for a membership to NAFA. Surprised : )

Come on down and visit, last year's meet was a memorable one.

Baine

everetkhorton
01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Baine:
I think if 50% of your member's are NAFA members there is no fee. I do not think you can become a affiliate member club any other way. [smilie=eusa_think.gif] I am not sure. [smilie=dontknow.gif] It is something I will look into. In your picture is that snow in the back ground?. Where I live we do not have any snow right now. That may change real soon. We should be knee deep in snow by this time of the year. It was 41 degree yeasterday while I was out hawking. sure makes it easy [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]
Ev. Michigan

Baine
01-13-2007, 10:14 PM
EV

We do not have 50% of SCFA membership as card carrying NAFA members. I think we had to pay a little something for membership.

That is snow in the background but that was taken on a hawking trip to South Dakota in November. We've got some goofy weather right now. I went out today for over 3 hrs with my bird, it felt like 70° though I think it was less. I was ringing wet with sweat. We did manage to score a rabbit which is somewhat unusual as I was searching for squirrels.

everetkhorton
01-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Baine: I went out today, it was 32 degrees or so. I spent less than 10 minute in the wood before my FRT got a black sqr. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] There is not a wood lot near me that does not have lot of sqr. The hunt was over before it started. I like to see the chase etc. I am a one a head a day person always have been. [smilie=sunny.gif] If you are ever up this way let me know and we will give your RT a work out.
Ev. Michigan

Baine
01-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I used to travel to the Detroit area a bit; Sterling Heights and Flint. I picked up my gos across the lake from you above Chicago. Pretty country up there.

I'll definitely take you up on a hunt if I get in your neck of the woods. You've got some big squirrels up your way. I took my RT & gos to SD and the RT took 2 fox squirrels and a several bunnies. It's was great fun, my RT actually chased pheasants as much as the gos did.

Baine

everetkhorton
01-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Baine:
If you were to go to Bay City and hang [smilie=icon_hang.gif] a hard left and don't stop until you get to Lake Michigan you will be in the area where I live. West Michigan is much different that central or Eastern Mi. We have a lot of woods in my area.
Ev. Michigan

Jimmy
01-22-2007, 02:17 PM
That evening, If anyone has a bird ready to night hawk and wants to go I will take you back to columbia ( 20 min from the meet) and we can fly on the pigeons [smilie=banana.gif] ... should be a fun weekend

A friend of mine will be there with a pretty fresh passage coops. Save a few pigeons for him, Chris. He wants to try it. I may try this new harris on them as well.

`Chris L.
01-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Jimmy, got sveral spots we can hit, plenty for all.. I look forward to it.. Who has the passage coops? Has he been taking game this year with it.. let me know maybe I could give him a call and chat a bit about coops

Jimmy
01-22-2007, 06:02 PM
This bird was trapped December 31st. He's freeflying it, and bagging it as well, I think. No wild head yet that I'm aware of. I send you some contact info off forum.

manok
01-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Jimmy, I wasn't invited to a meet, the same weekend so, I'm making plans ( plotting / scheming ) to go to South Carolina & chase some squirrels with my 1 x intermewed male redtail ( Solomon ).
And witness other redtails in pursuit of game also.

`Chris L.
01-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Davy, come on up, ..I look forward to meeting you and I cant wait to see your bird in action

Jimmy
01-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Jimmy, I wasn't invited to a meet, the same weekend.

I'm sure you'll be missing a lot.........

Jimmy
01-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Davy, come on up, ..I look forward to meeting you and I cant wait to see your bird in action

Chris, Davy's bird is fun to watch. But, Davy makes everyone be quiet while his bird is hunting..... no yelling allowed [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]

everetkhorton
01-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Jimmy
What is Dave hunting that you have to be quiet?
Ev. Mi.

Jimmy
01-24-2007, 09:51 AM
squirrels........ [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

everetkhorton
01-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Jimmy:
I have to agree. I have done better once I quiet down. I just use a
call to let the bird know that sqr. is in the tree. If the sqr. startes to
run on the ground I give ONE Ho. That's it. I stand back away from the tree. If the sqr. will not move I circle the tree and some time's use a sling shot. But I am useing the sling shot less and less.
Ev. Mi.

Jimmy
01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Davy yells louder than anyone when their bird is up though.........
But actually expected me to remain quite for his........ didn't happen [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]

manok
01-24-2007, 02:20 PM
See Jimmy, it's not just me.
Everyone,
I don't carry a slingshot, but was gifted one the other week by a young man who accompanied Solomon & I, as well as other guests, whilst hunting squirrel in Statesboro GA. So I may carry it with me in the future.

I fly Solomon with chaps & bells only, yesterday I lost another bell, this is the third this season [smilie=eusa_boohoo.gif] !!!
No jesses.
I try to get Solomon to " key ' off me, but if I don't produce early in the woods, he will self hunt.
I shake trees, & pull vines constantly, rattling the saplings to try to keep the birds attention.
My bird doesn't know or respond to it's given name [smilie=smileys13.gif] .
Nor will he follow if called by name or other sound [smilie=dontknow.gif] .
He doesn't " ladder up " on command either.
He will jump on a nest if he sees the squirrel enter it [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] .

I believe, if he's close & I get a squirrel moving, through whatever means, he should be paying enough attention, that he doesn't need any verbal encouragement from me or anyone else to motivate him to pursue the quarry.
Yes. occassionally the old " HO, HO, HO, " slips out unintentionally.
I ask you not too, when my bird " is up ".

I won't chastize you for doing so. ( yeh right, you know the rules ) [smilie=angry5.gif]
I encourage anyone closer than myself to " make in " & " put the squeeze on " [smilie=iamwithstupid.gif] even though I got footed twice, at the start of this hunting season, Solomon will let anyone assist in subdueing the prey [smilie=icon_hang.gif] .
I trade off after a kill using a loaded, rubber / plastic, bone shaped dog chew & rehood Solomon for a few minutes, then back to hunting.
If you have specific requests around your birds, in the woods, I try to honor them.
If you announce pursuit with " HO, HO, HO, " that's the way i'll announce for you & your bird.

Jimmy
01-24-2007, 03:16 PM
It's a very hard thing not to do when you are so used to yelling.

Davy, are you using the really small zip ties to attach the bells? I lost a bunch of them using those. A size bigger did the trick, and haven't lost any more since.......

everetkhorton
01-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Manok:
Sounds like you have a plan that works for you [smilie=banana.gif] I just
use the HO to let the bird to look down.
Ev. Mi.

manok
01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Yes Jimmy, I use the small zip ties, but will now, upon your advice obtain larger zip ties.
Yours, In Pursuit Of Wisdom.
Sssshhhhhhh be quiet

Jimmy
01-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Davy,
One thing I noticed is that as the zip ties go up in size, the 'head' on them goes up substancially as well. The ones that work best for me, I get from Home Depot. I can't seem to find the size I like anywhere else. They're about $3 per hundred, and come in a multi colored pack. The other ones they carry are either black, or white. And they seem to be either a little too big, or a little too small.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/cuda67bnl/scan0004.jpg

manok
01-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Yes,
Jimmy, I remember the feminine colored one was the color that you put on my bird, when you kindly let Solomon wear your telemetry.
Suppose that's the price I pay for the use of your transmitter.
"Pretty In Pink "

`Chris L.
01-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey Jimmy is just that comfortable with himself to have pink zip ties.. I'm proud of him [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

Jimmy
01-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Davy,
My bird also wore pink that day. But then again, my bird is a female....

manok
01-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Jimmy,
I just picked up a packet of the above mentioned zip ties, $3 just like you said. from home depot.

I'll try them on Thursday, hopefully.

You are a wealth of information James [smilie=icon_pray.gif] , but I am worthy.

tescobedo
02-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Before I go bothering the SC Game Commission. Does anyone know what paperwork, other than a hunting license, is required to bring a bird over to hunt?

Baine
02-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Tony

You just need your fed permit and a copy of your state hunting license (for hunter safety). A small game license is all you'll need from SC.

We did contact SCDNR and talked about the possiblity of getting a temporary permit like they use in field trials but it won't happen for this meet.

There will be SCDNR personel at the meet. I think about 4-6 were there last year and they joined in the hunting. None of them had any previous experience with falconry. They really seemed to enjoy it.

Baine

tescobedo
02-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Baine,

Thank you.

That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure. I'll hit the first Wally World once I cross into SC.

Again, thanks.

lcfalconer
02-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Tony,
A Nonresident 3-day Hunting License (small game only) is $40.
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/licenses/pricing.html

You can buy it online for a $3 fee if you want to avoid a stop at Wally world.
https://ssl.sc.gov/DNRLicensing/EntryPage.aspx

Wayne

tescobedo
02-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Tony,
A Nonresident 3-day Hunting License (small game only) is $40.
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/licenses/pricing.html

You can buy it online for a $3 fee if you want to avoid a stop at Wally world.
https://ssl.sc.gov/DNRLicensing/EntryPage.aspx

Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks for the info. I normally prefer to do things online. However, when it comes to licensing nothing beats waiting in line to ensure they see all the required documentation [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] .

Baine
02-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Wayne

Thanks for the link. I didn't know SC had it available online.

Baine

Jimmy
02-20-2007, 10:51 AM
I forgot about needing a SC hunting license...... Then after reading Tony's post, I almost went online and bought one. Then I remembered that I'm not even bringing a bird [smilie=BangHead.gif]

My wife will be hunting though, so I guess she'll need one. My daughter will be flying her bird too, but she's underage and won't need one.

Looking forward to the meet, guys. Can't wait to see everyone there!

wesleyc6
02-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I will be there too and will be birdless myself. I am going to leave Nolan at home. I figure we can watch a buteo sit as well as we can a falcon. hehehehe.

See you guys there!!!!

`Chris L.
02-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey is that damn red coat coming. He wont make up his mind [smilie=icon_pidu.gif] .. Come on Davy, bring you happy butt up here. Stop in my house on your way up for a frosty beverage. Tony said you can stay at his hotel.. or I have a place if you need one.

Come on man... I have been looking forward to meeting you. Every time I talk to you on the phone you dont give me an answer.. Come on Davy... come on... peer pressure..

lcfalconer
02-20-2007, 12:58 PM
I’m bummed that I won’t be able to make it this year. My daughter has her region band concert and it just can’t be missed. She’s on track for a full ride to college via her trumpet playing. So between the falconry meet and me NOT having to pay college tuition and the associated costs, falconry is loosing this battle.

Wayne

`Chris L.
02-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Wayne,
We will always be here ... congrats on the college bound daughter.. you cant beat not having to pay for it [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] ... we will miss you for sure

Jimmy
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
What time does everyone plan to be there? We'll be there Friday, early evening. Hopefully, by 7:00 pm. Are most of you staying at the Holiday Inn? If anyone wants to ring me Friday night, call my cell. 404-680-1940.
Also, we'll be bringing 2 dogs. Does anyone else's birds fly over dogs?

wesleyc6
02-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I am planning for 7pm or so myself.