PDA

View Full Version : Powermax or Rt plus ???

Ricko
10-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Can someone help me decide? Flying a female Gyr/ Per.

calebstroh
10-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Both!

Ricko
10-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Both!

Lol....could you be a little more specific?

skooky20
10-10-2012, 10:41 AM
hybrids have to have two transmitters on, power max for distance, rt+ for longevity.

Big Foot
10-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Powermax..
Strongest transmitter on the market. It's only available as backpack/tail mount though. for a leg/neck mount rt+ would be my first choice.

calebstroh
10-10-2012, 06:19 PM
See, git both! :D

Ricko
10-11-2012, 12:50 AM
See, git both! :D

LOL....quite the salesman Caleb

sugezwolf
10-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Can someone help me decide? Flying a female Gyr/ Per.

Hi Rick - for a big ranging hawk like that I would put an RT Turbo on a backpack and tail-mount a Powermax.

Gerry x

Saluqi
10-11-2012, 09:00 AM
hybrids have to have two transmitters on, power max for distance, rt+ for longevity.

Chris is right, under the new regs you are required to have two transmitters on all hybrids.

Ricko
10-13-2012, 03:17 AM
Chris is right, under the new regs you are required to have two transmitters on all hybrids.

Yes, I know. Been flying here with dual merlin 1/3 leg mounts. Just looking for something different and more powerful.

latham
10-15-2012, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=Ricko;261191]Can someone help me decide? Flying a female Gyr/ Per.[/QUOTE

I use two RT Plus...Bob

calebstroh
10-15-2012, 11:01 PM
I've been flying two seasons with the dual RT+'s as leg mounts on my tiercel. Honestly they work fine...great in fact. Went on a hell-of-a-doozy yesterday! I could-a wrung his neck!

But its a little too much weight in a funny spot for the little bird, so I'm looking to run the powermax on a backpack, and one RT+ on the legmount. Overkill, but I'm still a little twitchy about things...

dliepe
10-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Yes, I know. Been flying here with dual merlin 1/3 leg mounts. Just looking for something different and more powerful.
Have you had a problem with them Rick... They've never, I mean never let me down. They are long range and long lasting.
I recently picked up one of the new LL transmitters. The 4. It's really nice with a magnetic switch, long life and really short antennna. Shorter than the RT I believe.

Ricko
10-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Have you had a problem with them Rick... They've never, I mean never let me down. They are long range and long lasting.
I recently picked up one of the new LL transmitters. The 4. It's really nice with a magnetic switch, long life and really short antennna. Shorter than the RT I believe.

David...Nope. never had a problem with the Merlins except one time my bird pulled one of the antennas off. Just wanted something else as a back up. Ive heard good things about the RT plus.

dliepe
10-28-2012, 09:11 AM
David...Nope. never had a problem with the Merlins except one time my bird pulled one of the antennas off. Just wanted something else as a back up. Ive heard good things about the RT plus.
Yup,
My only issue is with the length of the antenna. On big stoops there is alot of tourque on the base of the screw in. That can weaken that attatchment point. A heavy bead of glue will help a bit. I cut a few inches off the end of the antenna as well to minimize the whip. It only diminishes range by a few miles.
That new ll 4 is super short and long life and long range. That one I really like. It's antenna is the shortest on the market I believe. Super product.
The Marshalls burn batteries......they have powerful signals but with that power you get a quicker burn. I had a micro and couldn't replace the batteries qick enough.

Ricko
10-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Yup,
My only issue is with the length of the antenna. On big stoops there is alot of tourque on the base of the screw in. That can weaken that attatchment point. A heavy bead of glue will help a bit. I cut a few inches off the end of the antenna as well to minimize the whip. It only diminishes range by a few miles.
That new ll 4 is super short and long life and long range. That one I really like. It's antenna is the shortest on the market I believe. Super product.
The Marshalls burn batteries......they have powerful signals but with that power you get a quicker burn. I had a micro and couldn't replace the batteries qick enough.

David, Thanks for the info. It sounds like you are a fan of the Melin 1/3 rds? I was thinking of possibly just buying an extra one of those.

calebstroh
12-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Rick,

An update: As planned, I installed a backpack on my tiercel and have been using the Powermax/RT+ combo for over a month.

I couldn't be happier with the results.

The Powermax does seem a little big for my bird but it hasn't seemed to affect his flying. I still attach one RT+ via leg mount. Both use batteries at a different rate, but I always turn mine off after each use…and make sure they’re off via the signal tester. I haven’t had to test them overnight or anything…but I suppose that exactly the point of using good equipment.

We have had several "fly-abouts" the last few weeks, and it was very nice having two different transmitters. At times the RT+ was actually the preferred signal...depending on which way/how he was flying or perched.

I know many folks will say that two transmitters is too much, but I disagree. There have been a couple instances that only one transmitter was coming through and having both has given me confidence. If you have the means to do so it’s a great combo.

Also, I have heard of several birds this season that have had one transmitter fail (or it didn't get turned on) and I'm sure they would have the bird still if they used two, or were using a quality transmitter like Marshall.

Anywho...damn fly-off birds....

-caleb