PDA

View Full Version : Lost Falcon in River Rouge, Michigan

chrism2202
10-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Dear Fellow Falconers,

Attached below is a picture of a Falcon that has been spotted at the DTE facility at River Rouge. The person missing the bird will need to contact Karen Young (mailto:kvyoung@hotmail.com) so I can put them in touch with the DTE folks that have seen the bird as they will need clearance etc. to gain access to the site. It’s rather distinctive so I’m hoping someone will recognize the photo.
https://documents.clubexpress.com/clubs/231484/forum_message_images/Lost%20Falcon.jpg

KarenYoung
10-23-2012, 09:27 AM
As of yesterday the falcon has been seen hanging around this location. The facility where the bird has been seen is southeastren Michigan (Detroit by the river) so it could be from a nearby state as well.

PeteJ
10-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Looks like a Sakret maybe. Could be a tundra maybe, but I'm betting on a Sakret. Wasn't Kory flying one up that way someplace?

rsimone
10-23-2012, 11:11 AM
I work at the Ford Rouge site in Dearborn, very close. I Will keep an eye out. Is this bird lure trained? Would a B.C. be best method for recapture? If any assistance is needed you can contact me. rgsimone@wowway.com. Rich Simone.

KidK
10-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Looks like a Sakret maybe. Could be a tundra maybe, but I'm betting on a Sakret. Wasn't Kory flying one up that way someplace?

Pete, it isn't mine. They are both home. This is like three hours away from me. But, I agree, Saker/Sakret. Looks like it lost a deck feather at some point but grew it back in.

goshawks00
10-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Talked to a couple of friends in Windsor to see if they knew of anyone... Nope... They will be talking to some of their friends farther north that are longwingers to see if they are missing a bird. Looks like a CB band but it may be a Hess band which Canadians use instead of the seamless one we have in the states..

KarenYoung
10-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the imput guys...Rich I'll contact you if we need help, right now I may have someone to go after it. It may be from Canada as well since it's across the river from Canada, it may even be flying back and forth over the river (if our border crossing were so easy). I'll keep you all posted if anything develops. Again, thanks.

rsimone
10-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Any word on this bird?

rkumetz
10-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the imput guys...Rich I'll contact you if we need help, right now I may have someone to go after it. It may be from Canada as well since it's across the river from Canada, it may even be flying back and forth over the river (if our border crossing were so easy). I'll keep you all posted if anything develops. Again, thanks.

He goes north for the free health care and south when he wants to buy stuff without paying high taxes.

KarenYoung
10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Rich, we did go out last Thursday but did not postively spot the bird (one glimpse-maybe-of a falcon but no ID). We are now fairly sure it is a saker and that the band is not a federal band so we have no idea where this bird might be from. The storm conditions of the past few days haven't allowed us to try again, but it may well have left the area ahead of the storm. We are now waiting to see if it's seen again. Karen

KarenYoung
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Interesting update: I have been informed that this falcon was returned home. The bird was from Canada and it seems it was sighted back near it's home and retrieved not too long after it first went missing. I just found out and thought I'd share the happy ending.

Lowachi
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Interesting update: I have been informed that this falcon was returned home. The bird was from Canada and it seems it was sighted back near it's home and retrieved not too long after it first went missing. I just found out and thought I'd share the happy ending.

thanks

rsimone
02-12-2013, 08:25 PM
wow, great news, thank you.