PDA

View Full Version : Keychain cam

K-Horn
11-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Thought this might be interesting or useful to share with you all. Many of you have probably seen this before though. I bought this keychain cam a long time ago to use for getting some unique offroad footage. When I bought it at the time it was less than $20 and came with the needed mini sd card. It is the same size (and even looks like) a car alarm fob. So it is really small and lightweight. On a full charge it will record for about 30 minutes straight and then can be downloaded to a pc. As far as the brand, there are a few options out there but the one I got was called 808 keychain cam. Thought someone might like to attach this to their raptor some how for some interesting footage. They are tough as like I said I used mine for offroading. Also they are cheap enough that if they get lost you aren't out of a huge investiment. The following youtube vid is one that i took with mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQNbDxw0lC0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

hawkerev
11-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Kyle, does it record in HD ? what format ?

Thanks for sharing .

K-Horn
11-12-2012, 01:56 AM
The one that I purchased doesn't however there might be some that do. Not sure on the format....pretty basic...not the greatest quality but pretty decent for the price.

longwinger2010
11-12-2012, 09:43 AM
How did you stabilize it so you don't get that Blair Witch nausea from the camera bouncing all over the place?

K-Horn
11-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Lol.....the camera itself was inside a piece of foam with the front just barely sticking out enough to get a clear shot. It was secured using an elastic strap with velcro ends which I wrapped around the frame of the truck.

MtnMan
11-13-2012, 11:08 PM
I have one of these camera's too.

I've mounted it on my RC sailplanes, and have backpack mounted it on a female peregrine, female gyr/prairie, and female redtail. It's not too bad, and none of the birds appeared to even notice it.

This clip here is mounted on my peregrine last fall. She went AWOL on me, and I recovered her at this public hunting area several miles from my house. I recovered her there after a telemetry chase. When I found her in this narrow band of trees between the dykes I considered myself lucky that nobody had shot her... I could hear shotgun blasts as I pulled in, and saw some hunters to the left.

I called her down and fed her up quickly to get out of there. Went home, ate supper, and sat down to watch where she'd gone. That was when I realized she'd been shot at...

At about 18-19 seconds into the clip is where the guy under her shot up at her. There were actually two hunters in the blind, and in every other case I heard while I was there they both fired. In this instance, only one of them did. Based on the film, and where I saw the hunters, she flew over them at least once before they shot at her, and once again after they shot. I have to wonder if they heard her bells and that's why they didn't both shoot, or why they didn't shoot again? You can hear them shoot again at about 1:48, and hear how different the sound quality is when the gun is a little ways off (125yards?) and not pointed at the camera.

This bird was hit by a pick-up truck a few weeks later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdQevdnmdQ

K-Horn
11-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Very cool vid Phil....though it saddens me as a hunter. Sad to see hunters that dont verify a target before taking a shot at it. The way I was raised as a hunter is not to take a shot unless you are 100% sure of not only your target but what is behind it as well. Sorry to hear about the sad end to your beautiful Falcon.