PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Central Florida

Sweetpea1
12-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi all! Newbie from Florida here. (I live near Orlando Florida.) I do not have a bird or a sponser yet. I am still in the research stage. Getting close to being ready to try to find someone to train me soon though ! I hope I can find a great person to learn from. I have been reading a lot falconry books, doing online research, and plan to go to a local raptor center to volunteer soon too. Thanks for letting me tag along to learn things, I will try to not be too much of a pest. Thanks! Mary Sharp

sharptail
01-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Welcome aboard Mary!

michaelberan
01-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Hello and Welcome

tripwest
01-05-2013, 12:56 PM
welcome

Sweetpea1
01-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Thank you so much! Loving all the pics and learning a lot!!! Thanks! Mary Sharp

Breeze
01-05-2013, 10:50 PM
(welc) Hey Mary! Welcome to the forum and thanks for the compliment on my bird, Breeze! You're right - I AM happy in the pictures and enjoying my bird more than I can convey. He's awesome!

Study up for your exam, get a good sponsor, put your mews together and come join us! A bird requires a good bit of your time, but they are totally worth it. Doesn't feel like work - it's just too much fun! Doing some cleaning in my mews last week, had to lock my bird out in the weathering yard area to get him to let me do it. He's a character - kept flying in and landing on my fist to observe what I was doing. He wasn't looking for food; I don't feed in the mews so he would have no reason to expect anything to eat. Simply very curious and wanted a close up view of what was going on! Maybe he figured I needed close supervision - after all, it was his living quarters being messed with. :D

Again, welcome to the site!

Tyme2fly
01-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Enjoy your journey!! It's all worth it !!!

Sweetpea1
01-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks, I am loving it so far. Nice pic of you and your bird by the way! Take care! Mary Sharp

rri32701
01-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Hi Mary,welcome to the forum.I would say you live in a good place for what you want to do.The Avian Reconditioning center in Apopka(north Orlando)can always use volunteers and there's a fair amount of Falconers so finding a sponsor shouldn't be a problem for someone serious about it.Good luck

rri32701
01-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Also the Florida Hawking Fraternity's annual meet is this weekend.It's a great way to meet the local falconers.

Sweetpea1
01-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up! That is the place I was going to go check out! ;0). Is the FHF meet members only do you know? Where is it going to be? Will people have their birds with them? Ohh! I am getting excited! I hope it is nearby! I am going to try to find their website right now! Thanks! Mary Sharp.

raptor38
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
The FHF meet is in Sebring, Fl. If you are not a member you will be able to join right at the meet. Many people do bring and hunt with their birds.
All the best