PDA

View Full Version : New from Middle Tennessee

Elle the Duck
02-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Right now I'm on the information stage. I had looked into falconry in Texas, but Tennessee is a whole different state.

I figure e best way to go about it is to learn as much as I can before I try to gain an apprenticeship, so here I am.

Hi!

Lowachi
02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
welcome to the party

Acutus
02-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Welcome Elaina! I just got here myself and believe me you'll get plenty of information hanging out here!

Breeze
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
(welc) Elaina! You've found a great site for tons of information. Good luck on your falconry journey!

Kenny Ellington
02-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Welcome to NAFEX!(welc)

Elle the Duck
02-06-2013, 06:05 AM
I ordered the California Hawking apprentice guide and manual, and I have the Falconry Manual by Frank Lyman Beebe coming in on the library for an inter loan.

Did I miss any books that are must reads?

I'm having trouble getting the TWRA to return calls or answer the phones/emails to actually figure out how to get the package for the state, although several PMs have landed me some great people to talk to (although I hope they understand my reluctance is not them, but I know practically nothing at this point as far as practical stuff goes).

Live2hunt2003
02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
The bible of falconry "North American falcons and hunting hawks" is a must read allso .
There's a couple online tests that help to. Just my two cents........

Live2hunt2003
02-06-2013, 08:58 AM
The apprentice how to train rt hawks is good , and if you can find and ate going to squirrel hawk , Bushy tails and Buteos is a great read........

sevristh
02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
The bible of falconry "North American falcons and hunting hawks" is a must read allso .

Though this has been discussed before on a different thread, I still disagree. I think this book goes far more in depth than most people really need. Is it a valuable resource to the community? Sure. But I would not call it a must read for every (or even most) apprentice/s.

Now William Oakes' book (The Falconer's Apprentice) on the other hand is very succint and practical. I think it basically reads like an instruction manual for training a RT. It may not answer every problem, but that is what the sponsor is for. I definitely think it qualifies as a must read.

Live2hunt2003
02-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Though this has been discussed before on a different thread, I still disagree. I think this book goes far more in depth than most people really need. Is it a valuable resource to the community? Sure. But I would not call it a must read for every (or even most) apprentice.

here in Ohio, the whole test comes from this one book, or so I was told by our ent officer.