PDA

View Full Version : Can We Revisit the "Like" Button Idea?

Zarafia
02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
These days everybody is on FB. We all know how nice it is to just be able to "like" a post.
Many different forums have recently included this option. I would love to just add my support to certain posts, rather than feeling like I have to post and say something in order for folks to know that I think something is a good idea.
This forum doesn't need a sheer post count. Everybody knows this is the best forum for serious US falconers.
Can we revisit the "like" button idea?

Keith Denman
02-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Hi Meridith how are you doing? How has your goat been doing?

Acutus
02-18-2013, 11:34 PM
These days everybody is on FB. We all know how nice it is to just be able to "like" a post.
Many different forums have recently included this option. I would love to just add my support to certain posts, rather than feeling like I have to post and say something in order for folks to know that I think something is a good idea.
This forum doesn't need a sheer post count. Everybody knows this is the best forum for serious US falconers.
Can we revisit the "like" button idea?

I "LIKE" This! :D

kimmerar
02-19-2013, 01:15 AM
I too have wanted to hit the Like button while reading a post :).

drmchsrmle
02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
I "LIKE" the idea too!

JRedig
02-19-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm curious, what's the net positive gain for NAFEX in having a like button? Ok, so 50 people liked a post...now what?

Shehawker
02-19-2013, 11:34 AM
The # of likes could be an indicator of thread quality, plus if it is linked to other social sites it is an easy way to share with your buddies.

Lowachi
02-19-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm curious, what's the net positive gain for NAFEX in having a like button? Ok, so 50 people liked a post...now what?

as if a button is going to stop this bunch:D.. that's the beauty of this place...whether they like it or not, yer gonna get an opinion, which is what the post was for. I'd rather see something constructive or that "hardy handshake, pat on the back or the warm glow of success" comment than a "like". That's what FB is for. ok, there's my opinion.

JRedig
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
The # of likes could be an indicator of thread quality, plus if it is linked to other social sites it is an easy way to share with your buddies.

Lets say 50 preapprentices like a thread/post who have no background in falconry, that automatically means it's a good one? That scares me. There needs to be some way to quantify who's doing the "liking" and why...i've seen other forum systems where you can endorse a thread or post, but your username is clearly displayed as the endorser. Even then, it's not like it's a guarantee the person endorsing knows anything about what they're doing.

I see it all the time with people who are interested in falconry. They "love raptors and falconry and can't wait to get start because it's so amazing!" and they have no idea what they're talking about. These same people usually make quite a presence known online but won't put forth the effort to come out hawking/hunting. Do you want them liking posts and threads? I don't.

I'm not saying there is or is not a way to do this cleanly, but for the amount work to set it up and manage it, I have a hard time seeing an up side. Ultimately it's up to Chris L. and something tells me he's going to want to see a positive reason/value adder for doing it.

goshawks00
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
I like what Jeff said!! I don't like the like idea, I hope you like thatfrus)

goshawks00
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
. Ultimately it's up to Chris L. and something tells me he's going to want to see a positive reason/value adder for doing it.

I think if you had to pay a dime for every "like" you post and it went to the site Chris would like that:D

wingnut
02-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm with Jeff on this one too. It doesn't take that long to do a quick reply. Leave the like button on FB.

sharptail
02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
It is a great idea. On FB you can click on the Likes Button and see who all likes a post. Those that don't like the idea are not required to use it. We live in the age of super fast info being available and THE L BUTTON is a big part of it.

Zarafia
02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
It is a great idea. On FB you can click on the Likes Button and see who all likes a post.

You all make excellent points (yes, even you, Barry :) ). Yep, 50 likes from 50 apprentices wouldn't lend much credibility to a post. But 50 likes from falconers we know and respect would mean a great deal.
Really it's a time saver and a way to say, "Yeah, I agree."
Like Jeff, I usually look to see who has "liked" something I am interested in.
If Chris and the mods don't want to do it then no problem. I may ask again in another three years :).

Zarafia
02-19-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm with Jeff on this one too. It doesn't take that long to do a quick reply. Leave the like button on FB.

Doug, I hear you. It doesn't take much time or effort. But sometimes it just seems kinda superflous to post just to say, "Yeah, I think he's right." Or, "I agree." Or, "I like this post."
The way I look at this forum in particular is sort of like a bunch of us sitting around in a big circle. Liking a post, to me is sort of like nodding where folks can see you, showing your approval without having to stand up and say, "Yes! I agree!"
I don't know if I went too far off there, but that's my best decription of how I see it.

xjturnerx
02-19-2013, 05:18 PM
The way threads get flooded with replies that also post any pictures or post that is being replied to crowds the thread and slows it down. Ideas........people could have their status listed as moderator licensed apprentice or observer? Or however. And each thread could say for example...like by 2 moderators, 36 licensed falconers, 10 apprentices and 6 observers. With people able to view the names of those who liked it. Just an idea.

goshawks00
02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
How about a 'I don't like 'also?

Zarafia
02-19-2013, 06:09 PM
That would be ideal!

wingnut
02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Doug, I hear you. It doesn't take much time or effort. But sometimes it just seems kinda superflous to post just to say, "Yeah, I think he's right." Or, "I agree." Or, "I like this post."
The way I look at this forum in particular is sort of like a bunch of us sitting around in a big circle. Liking a post, to me is sort of like nodding where folks can see you, showing your approval without having to stand up and say, "Yes! I agree!"
I don't know if I went too far off there, but that's my best decription of how I see it.

Actually it really doesn't really matter to me. I never use the "like" on FB. I either take the time to comment or I don't. Superflous to me means going beyond what is necessary and if someone has taken the time to make a point or post a photo or story I will comment on it if it is relevent to me.

Zarafia
02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. (And yes, you got the definition of superflous right.)

FredFogg
02-19-2013, 08:49 PM

That is my biggest beef with FB, they allow you to Comment or to Like or to Share but they don't have a Don't Like button. So you see a post and it has 3 million likes but I know for a fact that it would have 6 million Don't Like's if that was available. If you are going to have one, you have to have the other.

sevristh
02-19-2013, 08:51 PM
I think the potential negative side to a 'like' button is that it shows up on that person's FB page. This means we are drawing all kinds of attention to the forum and drawing in every Tom, Dick, and Harry that happens across the person who liked its page.

Not sure why I am sharing why I don't like the idea, because I AM pretty sure that Chris would never go for it. :)

Zarafia
02-19-2013, 08:56 PM
I think the potential negative side to a 'like' button is that it shows up on that person's FB page. This means we are drawing all kinds of attention to the forum and drawing in every Tom, Dick, and Harry that happens across the person who liked its page.

Not sure why I am sharing why I don't like the idea, because I AM pretty sure that Chris would never go for it. :)

Dave, so nice of you to comment.
You have a very nice night.

FredFogg
02-19-2013, 09:08 PM

Dave, I think you are misunderstanding, the Like/Don't Like buttons would be on each thread on NAFEX, no connection to FaceBook. So the only way anyone would see them is if they were on NAFEX.

Or at least, that is my interpetation of what Meridith wanted! confusedd

Zarafia
02-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Dave, I think you are misunderstanding, the Like/Don't Like buttons would be on each thread on NAFEX, no connection to FaceBook. So the only way anyone would see them is if they were on NAFEX.

Or at least, that is my interpetation of what Meridith wanted! confusedd

You are quite correct, Fred. What I'm talking about is a feature already available on this forum's format. No connection to anything else. It is just similar to the "like" button on fb. No interaction.

sevristh
02-20-2013, 04:49 PM
O. I. C.

Sorry. Carry on! :D

Dirthawking
02-20-2013, 05:35 PM
You are quite correct, Fred. What I'm talking about is a feature already available on this forum's format. No connection to anything else. It is just similar to the "like" button on fb. No interaction.

And there is the problem. It is not "already available". It would have to be yet another thing that Chris has to purchase to use. I seriously doubt that Chris is rolling in the money from this site. It costs him money to host and run. Donations from members help with this, but I bet it does not pay for it. Chris would have that information. It is also why this site has supporting members. Be it through donations to the yearly dinner, or money directly to the site. Every little bit helps. It is not required to be a member on here.

goshawks00
02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
It is not required to be a member on here.

But should be..........

sharptail
02-21-2013, 02:21 PM
But should be..........

Opinions, opinions. Of course when you pay it is something bought and paid for and changes the whole relationship. How does the forum Ban or issue infractions to a paying member/part owner? Certainly the way it is done now would need to change, with paying members given more of an even hand.

goshawks00
02-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Opinions, opinions.

Actually nothing needs to be changed. This is a private site... the owner runs it the way he sees fit. Chris has done an outstanding job ( except for the chat:D), and those that moderate have done according to his criteria. I do wish there were more that supported this site, and I wish it were mandatory but as of now it's running fine the way it is. If there were more monies available I believe it would only be plowed back in to the site to make it even better, as it stands now I think it is probably the best falconry site going. As far as paying goes , Chris sets the guidelines, you pay the price and if you lean to far over the edge, you fall out...
what could be better than that.

sharptail
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
if you lean to far over the edge, you fall out...

Great imagination on the Boat thing...unfortunately the 'edge' is variable, depending on who sets 'the edge' at any given time and it also may vary from member to member.

goshawks00
02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Jeff I've been on this site for a long time as you have...in that time I can think of 3 persons ( not sure if they were financial supporters or not) that were banned. In each case they were warned publicly ( and I suspect privately) before anything took place. The moderators do a great job of keeping this site on track while allowing a huge diversity of opinion to be expressed. Yea some of them are dicks but overall respectful of everyone. You have to admit,to play on what I said, this ain't no canoe, that leans to and fro with every wave. This is like a huge oceanliner.... You know when you are getting near the edge, you are warned when you are getting near the edge, so if ya fall over....well, see ya! For sure I don't think there are these bogeymen running around shoving anyone over .... There are a set of rules to be followed, and the mods and Chris all allow some great leniency before they make the needed corrections. There are on here those that run other sites that are true dictators true thumb squishin persons... are those the kind of guys you want running the ship? Just curious....

Chris L.
02-22-2013, 11:10 PM
You all make excellent points (yes, even you, Barry :) ). Yep, 50 likes from 50 apprentices wouldn't lend much credibility to a post. But 50 likes from falconers we know and respect would mean a great deal.
Really it's a time saver and a way to say, "Yeah, I agree."
Like Jeff, I usually look to see who has "liked" something I am interested in.
If Chris and the mods don't want to do it then no problem. I may ask again in another three years :).

Mer,
I am sorry I won't be adding a like button. I feel it adds false merit to posts. I want each person to read it and post if they want. I do not want to know who "likes" it. It really doesn't matter to me if someone likes it. As you probably know I don't follow the masses...

I appreciate you wanting to make the forum better or more user friendly. Thank you for thinking outside the box and offering up suggestions. I always welcome them

Opinions, opinions. Of course when you pay it is something bought and paid for and changes the whole relationship. How does the forum Ban or issue infractions to a paying member/part owner? Certainly the way it is done now would need to change, with paying members given more of an even hand.

Great imagination on the Boat thing...unfortunately the 'edge' is variable, depending on who sets 'the edge' at any given time and it also may vary from member to member.

Jeff,

These last 2 quotes do not sit well with me. What I can tell you is you are a guest in my house and I will adjust the rules as I see fit for each member for the better of the community. I try my best to be fair but my goal is to keep the community alive and proactive. If one person has to go for the better of the community then so be it. I have to make these decisions and I can't always make everyone happy, I do try my best. What you think is fair or proper is not of concern to me, especially when you have been a member since 2007 and haven't contributed a dime to show your support....You sir don't have a dog in this fight.