PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Montana, Jobs supporting Falconry

VigorBird
02-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Hello, my name is Markey Straub and I just turned 30 a few weeks ago. I live in East Helena, Montana. I am very interested in Falconry and would like to receive training and classes for it. I've been reading books and resources online, but I would like to know more about jobs that support Falconry or even future jobs in Falconry where I can work with the birds. I understand Falconry can be demanding on the expenses and schedule. I'm unemployed at the moment and I would like to know which kind of jobs you guys do or would recommend for supporting Falconry. I am sure having a full time job would be unfair to the birds, so I need some kind of balance. I would appreciate any information and help on this.

In case you guys are wondering, I'm very much interested in Kestrels, even though weight-measurement on them would be difficult due to their high metabolism. I am also interested in Harris' Hawks. It would be appreciated if you have any tips and information on them even though I'm still reading about them. Never know if I miss anything. They're awesome birds. Thanks, guys!

JRedig
02-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Welcome to nafex, please read the forum rules again. Also spend some time searching, this has been covered a lot.

jim backus
02-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Get a job that has layoffs built in so its not your fault that you " have"to fly the birds.its really simple for me.when i have the time i dont have the money.when i have the money i got no time.just like everything else you make the time for the things you wanna do.
jim

Ally
02-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Welcome to NAFEX, Markey. You would be very hard pressed to find falconry classes in the US---your best bet would be to find a local falconer who you could go out with to watch and learn from. Helena has a few falconers, and the rest of us are scattered around the state. Ray Gilbertson, part of our Montana association, could probably direct you to more folks that live closer to you.
Wow, it is really great to see so many new faces from Montana popping up. Welcome again, and keep doing your reading. There is so much great info here!

Hawkmom
02-22-2013, 06:17 PM
If you have not seen it before, read this site: www.themondernapprentice.com