PDA

View Full Version : Seeking info on who's who in Montana falconry.

KC7NIS
03-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Hello Everyone,
My name is Jason and I live in Eastern part of the state in Glendive,Montana. I am currently a stay at home dad for now until college starts in the Fall. Being a Journeyman Electrician and a soldier for half of my life has gave the ole body a good workout over the years so I am looking at something less labor intensive for a career lol. I was exposed to Falconry in the Persian Gulf both tours I was there as it was part of the culture I was around and I fell in love with the raptors I seen. I guess I am like anyone else and have always had an interest in Falconry, but now I am ready to commit to being a falconry apprentice if I can find out who to get in contact with about this because my letter to the Montana Falconers Association with the Billings address got sent back as being undelivered so I am back to square one. I requested the information from the Montana FWP and am expecting this any day, but I was wondering if anyone knows anybody that lives on this part of the state to contact for an introductory hunt and/or that has time to answer some of my questions. I have a pretty good falconry library established (books,VHS,DVD's) and have been viewing everything for about ten years so I really look forward to being involved on here. I better sign off for now and get the kids to the easter egg hunt across town since they are doing it here early this year( it is supposed to snow again tommorow) so take care all and I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Saluqi
03-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Hello Everyone,
My name is Jason and I live in Eastern part of the state in Glendive,Montana. I am currently a stay at home dad for now until college starts in the Fall. Being a Journeyman Electrician and a soldier for half of my life has gave the ole body a good workout over the years so I am looking at something less labor intensive for a career lol. I was exposed to Falconry in the Persian Gulf both tours I was there as it was part of the culture I was around and I fell in love with the raptors I seen. I guess I am like anyone else and have always had an interest in Falconry, but now I am ready to commit to being a falconry apprentice if I can find out who to get in contact with about this because my letter to the Montana Falconers Association with the Billings address got sent back as being undelivered so I am back to square one. I requested the information from the Montana FWP and am expecting this any day, but I was wondering if anyone knows anybody that lives on this part of the state to contact for an introductory hunt and/or that has time to answer some of my questions. I have a pretty good falconry library established (books,VHS,DVD's) and have been viewing everything for about ten years so I really look forward to being involved on here. I better sign off for now and get the kids to the easter egg hunt across town since they are doing it here early this year( it is supposed to snow again tommorow) so take care all and I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Hi Jason,

I'm sending you a PM with contact information for a Montana falconer who can help you. Thanks for your interest!

sharptail
03-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Hi Jason,
There are not a lot of falconers that live in extreme eastern Montana. JD Solmensen lives at Glasgow. JD has describe his area as the best Sharptail Hawking in the world.

http://www.greatplainspeales.com/

Renouned Falconer and Author of N. American Falconry & Hunting Hawks, as well as other books, Hal Webster lives at Fort Peck. He recently achieved the age of 93. The 9th edition of his and Frank Beebe's book is due out in June and his new book, co-authored by past American Falconry Conservency President Bill Murin, WILDLIFE LAW AND FALCONRY(http://www.falconryconservancy.org/), should be available in April. I can hardly wait for my copy to arrive.

There has been no shortage of high quality falconry being practiced in the region. The late Chad Cyrus was known to host hawking to some of the best falconers from Sheridan Wy. and the P. Fund yearly. I am not sure who is still hawking around Miles City since Chad's passing, a few seaons ago. He was a good friend and great Falconer.

As for myself, I live in extreme NE Wyoming, 30 miles south of Alzada Mt. and hawk in Mt. every year. If I can be of assistance just let me know.

oldguy
03-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Jase. Looks like you have got some good leads for contacts already.
As we talked about before, ask three falconers a question and you'll get at least four opinions. Later.

Breeze
03-30-2013, 08:20 PM
(welc) Hi Jason! You've found a good site to gather info from. Hope you get linked up with someone in your area real soon. :D

flymt
03-31-2013, 05:18 AM
welcome Jason just a note to let you know Hal Webster lives in Fort Benton not Fort Peck

Ally
06-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Oh it's been a while since I've been on here (Not much to chat about during the slow process of the moult, and new dogs to train and summer activities like fishing and camping :) ) But welcome Jason!
You are in some of the best hawking for upland birds this side of anywhere, and there are some great longwingers out there who can really show you what it's all about. I'm way over in Missoula on the west side so I can't offer a lot but it's great to see another Montanan representing :)
Our state FWP has been through some staffing changes recently, so I think their communication might be a little haywire. Sometimes calling the Helena office can help get things moving.
Good luck!