PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Coconut Creek, FL (Broward/WPB County border)

cezieg
03-31-2013, 02:25 AM
Hello everyone,

My name is Charles, I'm 26, and back in college. Starting next semester actually to finish out my AA over the next year and a half while working part time (meaning I have routine non-intensive core classes for the next year and a half). In order to learn more I'm also volunteering one day per week at the South Florida Wildlife Center, where they do a majority of the wild bird rehab/rescue in this part of the state.

While this may sound like a lot, I actually have quite a bit of free time. I usually compress class schedules into three days per week with one online, then will work+volunteer a total of 3-5 days each week in the afternoon. I'm not a fan of 8/9am classes due to lower retention that early in the morning if the lecture/math is on the dull side. So at the minimum that leaves 4 first-half-the-days completely free each week and every morning with free hours.

My interest in falconry started a few years back when I first saw the raptor show at the local Ren Fest. It was a pair of red tails that really captured my heart! Just seeing them fly in such coordination, intensity, and control. All while having a strong bond with the handler made me really want to get involved with the sport. A few years later I had a cockatiel and acquired a personal love for birds on top of just an interest. I know, not really a bird of prey, but a fantastic and intelligent bird nonetheless. The California Hawking Club Apprentice Study Guide just came in yesterday and I've already started perusing it + making note cards. Not going to lie, I was pretty excited to see it in the mail only a few days after ordering it! :D

I'm hoping to join the Florida Hawking Fraternity even though their date for yearly dues has passed. Unfortunately there isn't much on the site in terms of what the club does activity wise, so I'm figuring on emailing them tomorrow to see if there is anything in the relatively near future to check out and what the best way to get involved would be, whether it's helping flush rabbits or just show up to meetings to meet people.

Anyways, hopefully there are some other South Florida regulars on here to meet and talk to. Thanks for reading guys!

Hawkmom
03-31-2013, 06:48 AM
To get the basics, go to this site: www.themodernapprentice.com You will get a lot of information there.

Breeze
03-31-2013, 09:41 AM
(welc) Charles! Hope you link up with some Florida folks soon!

cezieg
03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
To get the basics, go to this site: www.themodernapprentice.com (http://www.themodernapprentice.com) You will get a lot of information there.

Thank you for the link, Kitty! I browsed a few other recent introduction posts to see what kind of general information has been offered and noticed that was the main site most posters referenced. It's really is a great site :)

(welc) Charles! Hope you link up with some Florida folks soon!

Thanks Deb! I hope so too!

rri32701
04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi Charles.I'm sure the FHF will accept new members anytime.I do know from past experience that if your not a member most likely you wont get any response from them.I suggest you join and request a list of falconers in your area.If you join and Neal doesn't furnish you a list then send me a PM and I will foward it to someone who will.Hunting is pretty much over for now and wont start again till sept.The club picnic is the begining of Oct.and the meet is in Jan.In the meanwhile your on the right track and you should be able connect with some falconers in your area in plenty of time.

eplevinski
04-02-2013, 12:16 AM
beeer Hi! :)

cezieg
04-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi Charles.I'm sure the FHF will accept new members anytime.I do know from past experience that if your not a member most likely you wont get any response from them.I suggest you join and request a list of falconers in your area.If you join and Neal doesn't furnish you a list then send me a PM and I will foward it to someone who will.Hunting is pretty much over for now and wont start again till sept.The club picnic is the begining of Oct.and the meet is in Jan.In the meanwhile your on the right track and you should be able connect with some falconers in your area in plenty of time.
Hi Robert,
Ah well good to know that the hunting season's timeframe is. Shame I missed out on the meet though! On the up side that leaves a little more time to collect the required equipment and not have to dine on PB&J's vs having to pick everything up in a small time-frame to be useful during season lol. Also plenty of time to bulk up on knowledge.

I'm mailing the application out in the morning so hopefully it'll arrive to the FHF in short order. I'll definitely keep you posted, thank you very much.
I did have one question, would you recommend joining the Florida Falconer's Associate right off the bat as well?

beeer Hi! :)
Haha now I know your NAFEx name, time to forum-stalk for shared learning :P

eplevinski
04-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Haha now I know your NAFEx name, time to forum-stalk for shared learning :P

YES! :D

Reefmaster1996
05-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Cool welcome to the site, I as well would like to soon become a falconer, ever since I read my side of the mountain, I will make some headway on my falconry studies this summer (I'm in highschool), and hopefully take the test this fall, we'll see.