PDA

View Full Version : 2013 NAFA National Meet

FredFogg
04-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Ok folks, its that time. Registration is now available for the 2013 NAFA Meet in Alamosa, CO. I would stress to everyone that you read all the requirements before jumping in and registering because I am fearful that folks will register, see all the crap that they have to go through and then decide not to go and we will have to issue a bunch of refunds. So I am warning you to read the entire Meet page and investigate all that it will take before registering. Personally, with all that is required, you couldn't pay me to go to CO to fly my birds! What a load of crap! I do truley feel sorry for the falconers of CO and this is just my personal opinion, but I feel this will be the least attended NAFA Meet in recent times.

Anyhow, go the Meet Page (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm) and read all that is involved. One new aspect this year is in order to make your hotel reservation, you will have to have your Meet Registration Number, which will be issued to you when you register online. If you download the mail in form and mail it in, once it is recieved and your payment (check or credit card) clears, you will receive an email with your Meet Registration Confirmation which will include your Meet Registration Number.

If anyone has any problems registering, please contact me and I will help as much as I can. If you have questions about all the hoops and whistles you have to go through, contact the Pete Rodas, the Meet Chairman.

Good luck and I hope everyone has a great time!

footbound
05-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Thank you for the heads up on CO. With the above info combined with what I have heard about their heavy handed fish cops I won't drive into the state for any reason. So it begs the question, why are we having a NAFA meet there? There must be other states nearby with enough rabbits and ducks for a few days of hawking.

Saluqi
05-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Thank you for the heads up on CO. With the above info combined with what I have heard about their heavy handed fish cops I won't drive into the state for any reason. So it begs the question, why are we having a NAFA meet there? There must be other states nearby with enough rabbits and ducks for a few days of hawking.

Good question, this may well be the last meet for Colorado. Alamosa is a nice town, and there have been some historic meets there in the past, but the heavy handedness of the state makes holding a meet there less than desirable. Every year it gets tougher and tougher to find suitable sites for the national meet.

Tom Scheib
05-01-2013, 08:47 AM
WOW. I traveled through CO last Sep. I never checked their regs. Wasn't hunting, just stopped to see friends but it appears if the fish cops had stopped I would have needed a non-res lic.
Nothing like being considered guilty beforehand.

Tasha55403
05-01-2013, 09:42 AM
And an import permit, and a health certificate (though that's pretty much every state now, though they don't all do much to enforce it unless it's commercial). There are definitely more falconry friendly states than Colorado:p

rkumetz
05-01-2013, 11:56 AM
And an import permit, and a health certificate (though that's pretty much every state now, though they don't all do much to enforce it unless it's commercial). There are definitely more falconry friendly states than Colorado:p

Is the Colorado import permit free? If so they are $100 more falconry friendly than Vermont.

raptrlvr
05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
I was just in Alamosa about a month ago. I registered for the meet this morning and booked my room. Here are a couple of shots I took. You will be about 30 miles from Great Sand Dunes National Park.
Alamosa is the city on the left of this picture.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/_546_zpsb69d1151.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/raptrlvr/media/_546_zpsb69d1151.jpg.html)
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/_544_zps1f2a2e84.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/raptrlvr/media/_544_zps1f2a2e84.jpg.html)
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/_225_zps21973002.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/raptrlvr/media/_225_zps21973002.jpg.html)
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/_218A_zps70864abc.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/raptrlvr/media/_218A_zps70864abc.jpg.html)

Saluqi
05-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Is the Colorado import permit free? If so they are $100 more falconry friendly than Vermont.

It is Ron, I checked with Pete Rodas this morning about costs, the nonresident CO falconry license ($55.25 + $10.00 habitat stamp + $5.00 CO duck stamp) replaces the need for a small game hunting license and are the total fees to be paid to the state of Colorado, you still have to get a health certificate from an APHIS accredited vet before going to CO. I think it cost me $75 for a nonresident small game license in Nebraska last year, so it's about the same.

rkumetz
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
It is Ron, I checked with Pete Rodas this morning about costs, the nonresident CO falconry license ($55.25 + $10.00 habitat stamp + $5.00 CO duck stamp) replaces the need for a small game hunting license and are the total fees to be paid to the state of Colorado, you still have to get a health certificate from an APHIS accredited vet before going to CO. I think it cost me $75 for a nonresident small game license in Nebraska last year, so it's about the same.

I think we should change our license plates from "Vermont / Green Mountain State" to "Vermont / Slightly more falconry friendly than Hawaii" frus)

sakerjack
05-01-2013, 12:23 PM
I just tried to book at the number that is on the NAFA Web site,, he said all rooms were booked and he was of no help...
Call the Meet Hotel Directly 719-598-5833, had no problems..

Tasha55403
05-01-2013, 12:54 PM

Ah...thanks Paul! That's very helpful! The way I was reading it, it looked like you needed the non-resident falconry license in addition to the hunting license-I like your version much better, lol :)

Lowachi
05-01-2013, 01:39 PM
so I have to buy all that license crap, health certs and go thru hoops to work the meet...this is getting ridiculous! If I wasn't committed.....

didn't see dogs, etc listed, I presume I'll have to have HCs on them too.

Tasha55403
05-01-2013, 02:21 PM
so I have to buy all that license crap, health certs and go thru hoops to work the meet...this is getting ridiculous! If I wasn't committed.....

didn't see dogs, etc listed, I presume I'll have to have HCs on them too.

Technically, you're always supposed to have that when crossing state lines now:P They've just never enforced it before with domestic pets. From what I hear from vet friends, they're taking it more seriously now though.

PeteJ
05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Technically, you're always supposed to have that when crossing state lines now:P They've just never enforced it before with domestic pets. From what I hear from vet friends, they're taking it more seriously now though.
It won't be long before they make YOU produce immunization records before you can come in their state. Pretty much a way for the state to make basically free income for doing nothing is all I've ever been able to tell with these sorts of things.

COMEAUX
05-01-2013, 03:26 PM

What ticks me off the most,we go get the HC for our animals and no one checks them, I was at one meet that wardens were there to check our HC.frus) My vet will be smiling come November though!

Lowachi
05-01-2013, 03:45 PM
What ticks me off the most,we go get the HC for our animals and no one checks them, I was at one meet that wardens were there to check our HC.frus) My vet will be smiling come November though!

CO will be there ta check everything I'm told. Since I never fly at a meet, may just leave them all home. High price to pay

latham
05-01-2013, 06:00 PM
I just tried to book at the number that is on the NAFA Web site,, he said all rooms were booked and he was of no help...
Call the Meet Hotel Directly 719-598-5833, had no problems..

Thanks for the heads up Ken..but the number you listed is INCORRECT. The correct direct line number is 719-589-5833. I just registered with no problem using the 800 number listed by NAFA. Bob

sakerjack
05-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up Ken..but the number you listed is INCORRECT. The correct direct line number is 719-589-5833. I just registered with no problem using the 800 number listed by NAFA. Bob

WHOOPS,, I talked to that guy for like 15 minutes and he kept saying sorry the hotel was FULL and he tried to book me into the Days Inn next door..
Maybe he was unaware, it was early in the day.... OR one of us at too much!!!!

FredFogg
05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
The hotel should be asking for your NAFA Meet Registration Number, if they don't, make sure it is the correct hotel and if it is the correct hotel, let us know because they are supposed to be only booking people that week that have the NAFA Meet Registration Number which will be at the top of your Meet Confirmation Email.

Lowachi
05-02-2013, 01:53 AM
since I have ta buy a license, guess Mario's gonna have ta sacrifice a nap, & I'm gonna go kill something one afternoon..

COMEAUX
05-02-2013, 05:10 AM
WHOOPS,, I talked to that guy for like 15 minutes and he kept saying sorry the hotel was FULL and he tried to book me into the Days Inn next door..
Maybe he was unaware, it was early in the day.... OR one of us at too much!!!!

Yeah, I called early about 6:30 their time,got Tim and that is what he said. called back at 9:30 and no problems...see ya there beeer Gonna have to ask around this summer about getting a sack of mud bugs for ya in November....will keep ya up-dated :D

PeteJ
05-02-2013, 08:22 AM
I'd ask them for a HC for their prey populations because you paid to have your bird defined as fit just for their satisfaction, and you'd like it to leave in the same shape you brought it into their state. Seems only fair right?

rkumetz
05-02-2013, 08:50 AM
I'd ask them for a HC for their prey populations because you paid to have your bird defined as fit just for their satisfaction, and you'd like it to leave in the same shape you brought it into their state. Seems only fair right?

The state of VT jerks us around on this and it is absurd. They require a HC and $100 import permit for a VT falconer to bring in a bird even if it was
trapped 50' from the VT border. There is no permit needed for domestic animals or pets ranging from a hamster to a draft horse and an out of state falconer can bring a bird here and stay indefinitely without a a health certificate or import permit.

Why? Who knows. We have no poultry industry to speak of and judging by the birds we can trap legally there are very few birds of prey here in the first place to infect with anything.

And what of those pigeon racers? They transport their birds all over and release them sans permits.

I would not be as bitter about this if everyone who brought ANY animal into the state needed a permit and HC but falconers are being singled out.

OK enough ranting. This thread seems to have morphed from a meet threa to health certificates but I needed to vent.

FredFogg
05-02-2013, 09:28 AM
OK enough ranting. This thread seems to have morphed from a meet thread to health certificates but I needed to vent.

No problem Ron, sometimes we all need to vent! LOL peacee

Tom Scheib
05-02-2013, 10:19 AM
About 10 yrs ago I was at an entry point from Canada to the US. Some hunters were being hasseled about the geese they had in a freezer and the threat of bird flu. Then one of the hunters pointed to the sky as a huge flock of geese flew overhead going south. The conversation ended and they were waved thru.

Ken S.
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the info everyone! Not sure I'll be able to drive to this one from MD, but might leave my bird home and fly out for a few days if I can find some people to tag along and go hawking with.

colelkhunter
05-02-2013, 01:17 PM

AND see the states liability insurance in case your bird gets hurt while in their domain. :D

goshawkr
05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
The state of VT jerks us around on this and it is absurd. They require a HC and $100 import permit for a VT falconer to bring in a bird even if it was
trapped 50' from the VT border. There is no permit needed for domestic animals or pets ranging from a hamster to a draft horse and an out of state falconer can bring a bird here and stay indefinitely without a a health certificate or import permit.

Why? Who knows. We have no poultry industry to speak of and judging by the birds we can trap legally there are very few birds of prey here in the first place to infect with anything.

And what of those pigeon racers? They transport their birds all over and release them sans permits.

I would not be as bitter about this if everyone who brought ANY animal into the state needed a permit and HC but falconers are being singled out.

OK enough ranting. This thread seems to have morphed from a meet threa to health certificates but I needed to vent.

The Health Cert requirements are driven by the USDA, and are tied to concerns for the domestic livestock industry being protected.

The real base concerns that the USDA has are very valid and real. However - please be prepared for a shock - once a large government beuaracracy took this real concern and implemented rules to protect against it things got stupid, silly and onerous. Brief pause for recovery from that shock....

The USDA rules are contradictory and complex about interstate travel of animals. They mandate that each state implement requirements of their own to suit the federal standards (similar to how falconry is handled). And each state takes the USDA lunacy, puts their own flavor on it, and viola! We have our little mess.

The USDA rules exempt dogs and cats explicitly unless they are produced in large commercial breeding operations, but the language is confusing. The USDA rules are supposed to apply to all other live animals crossing state lines, and I believe definitely including pigeons.

In times of actual emergency, like a bird flu or Newcastle break out, the USDA already has all the legal tools they need to lock things down and deal with problem. The paperwork need to move hawks and parrots and pigeons around is just silly and onerous, and often ignored anyway.

What is really needed to fix this is for NAFA and the AFC to try talking some common sense to the USDA and see if we can get included in the excemption. Sadly, the USDA seems to be in a mood to crack down more, not less. But that is where we really need to fight this lunacy. There are other groups who can join us - others who have animals that should be excempt but aren't.

sakerjack
05-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I called early about 6:30 their time,got Tim and that is what he said. called back at 9:30 and no problems...see ya there beeer Gonna have to ask around this summer about getting a sack of mud bugs for ya in November....will keep ya up-dated :D

Chris my friend , the flight is booked, car booked, hotel booked,, NOW if you can get some of them BUGS that would make the trip.. With that said,,the Coon Ass Shrimp Boil has me salivating already.

rkumetz
05-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Chris my friend , the flight is booked, car booked, hotel booked

Sounds like you spent all afternoon on the phone with your bookie! :D

Lowachi
05-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Chris my friend , the flight is booked, car booked, hotel booked,, NOW if you can get some of them BUGS that would make the trip.. With that said,,the Coon Ass Shrimp Boil has me salivating already.
thumbsupp thumbsupp thumbsupp

mainefalconer
05-02-2013, 07:45 PM

Ken,

You're way ahead of me man! I've gotta get off my butt and get booked! Tomorrow....
See you boys in Alamosa! :D

Dirthawking
05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
I just tried to call and make my reservation and I was told that the hotel has the NAFA meet there from November 23 through December 1st.

Did somebody change the meet dates? Or am I just confused? noidea

Saluqi
05-02-2013, 08:19 PM
I just tried to call and make my reservation and I was told that the hotel has the NAFA meet there from November 23 through December 1st.

Did somebody change the meet dates? Or am I just confused? noidea

Those are the right dates, T-giving is the 28th.

Dirthawking
05-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I see that. I was using an old calander. My mistake!

Dirthawking
05-02-2013, 08:36 PM
And in reading the requirements, I remember another reason why I left Colorado....frus)

sakerjack
05-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Sounds like you spent all afternoon on the phone with your bookie! :D

Yes and all I did was just lose money!!

Adam Chavez
05-18-2013, 10:34 AM
There is definitely a lot of hoops to jump through but I am going to go for it anyway. The main hotel sold out its 113 rooms the first day.

FredFogg
05-18-2013, 04:29 PM
There is definitely a lot of hoops to jump through but I am going to go for it anyway. The main hotel sold out its 113 rooms the first day.

Hmmm, I guess they aren't requiring the Meet Registration Number because as of date, only 37 people have registered.

falcipiter
05-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Fred,
I got on the registration site right away on the 1st of May. Then called the hotel. They did ask me for the registration number. Now I did call the 888 number first and they said it was booked so, doing a little investigating, I found the direct number to the hotel and all went smoothly.
Except for the glitch of the 888 number for a general registration booker, all went well if you follow the instructions.
See you in Colorado.
Cheers,
Michael

Dirthawking
05-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Hmmm, I guess they aren't requiring the Meet Registration Number because as of date, only 37 people have registered.

PM sent

KBuck
05-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Read in a NRA magazine yesterday where sportsman are asking everyone to boycott hunting in Colorado due to their new anti gun legislation.How does everyone feel about not supporting sportsman who traditionally support us?I understand this would be a setback due to manhours spent arranging this meet to hold it in another state.I haven't attended a meet in several years but was going to make this one.Guess I'll have to wait till another time.

Dirthawking
05-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Not sure I totally agree with the anti gun statement. They did tighten up a few laws. Not that I agree with what happened to a state I used to live in, but I don't really see it as anti gun.

That being said, I may have missed a few things that got pushed through, i.e. background check restrictions, magazine capacity, ccw permits.

rkumetz
05-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Read in a NRA magazine yesterday where sportsman are asking everyone to boycott hunting in Colorado due to their new anti gun legislation.How does everyone feel about not supporting sportsman who traditionally support us?I understand this would be a setback due to manhours spent arranging this meet to hold it in another state.I haven't attended a meet in several years but was going to make this one.Guess I'll have to wait till another time.

I am not a big fan of gun legislation but I think it is a stretch to say that other hunters traditionally support us (falconers). When they were first trying to legalize falconry in VT all of the other hunting and trapping people were smiles and handshakes until they realized it would draw fire from the tree huggers and animal rights people. Then all you could see was the dust from them fleeing and they wanted nothing to do with falconry.

FredFogg
05-26-2013, 06:44 PM
I am not a big fan of gun legislation but I think it is a stretch to say that other hunters traditionally support us (falconers). When they were first trying to legalize falconry in VT all of the other hunting and trapping people were smiles and handshakes until they realized it would draw fire from the tree huggers and animal rights people. Then all you could see was the dust from them fleeing and they wanted nothing to do with falconry.

I have to agree with Ron, our biggest obstacle to getting Sunday hunting for falconry in NC was the dog hunters. They were already allowed to run their dogs but didn't want anyone else to be out there. Let's face it, when it comes down to it, each group is going to stick with its group and do whats best for it. Boycotting the NAFA Meet, in my opinion, isn't the way to go. I would think folks could make more of a statement boycotting any event that involves guns, after all, isn't that the point? confusedd

rkumetz
05-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Fred,
I see where you are going with that but IMO boycotting gun related events in CO would have exactly the outcome that the proponents of farcical firearms statutes would like - less gun toting people in their state. The way to piss them off would be to sponsor events to ATTRACT gun wielding out of state people and use the proceeds to fund lobbying to make the laws more firearms owner friendly.

Ron

SimoneBird
07-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Hey folks, I don't remember the meet hotel getting full by June but I called and it was full. Damn. I have an international guest coming with me and she stayed in the meet hotel last time the meet was in Alamosa and really wanted to stay in the hotel again. I feel bad! I tried to get on a waiting list and they said there was not one? But then had me leave a message with someone named Felicia. Soo, if I really can't get a room at the meet hotel (damn) can someone recommend another hotel in Alamosa? I've never stayed in a hotel in Alamosa. Or does someone have an extra room they are holding on to ??? :D

Lowachi
07-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Might contact Pete Rodas & see what he can do for you or recommend

Saluqi
07-02-2013, 07:58 AM
People always cancel, just show up and see if they have a room.

Tom Scheib
07-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Rent a local camper and stay in the parking lot.

SimoneBird
07-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys, I got on a wait list so we'll see.

raptrlvr
07-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Simone, you might try the Riverside Hotel. When I was in Alamosa earlier this year, I went by it and thought that if I didn't get a room at the meet hotel that I would try the Riverside. I don't know anything about it other than its just a couple of blocks away from the meet hotel and right on the river that runs through town.

jim backus
07-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Is anyone trapping during the meet?What are the requirements?
jim

FredFogg
07-09-2013, 08:15 AM
jim

For non-residents, left nut, first born child and who knows how much paper work to trap in CO, if it is anything like the rest of their regs! LOL

SimoneBird
07-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks very much for the tip, Jim!

Lowachi
07-09-2013, 11:13 PM
jim

swing thru KS.

jim backus
07-10-2013, 02:51 AM
Thanks Fred,but I will need that left one a while longer.They can't have my first either(maybe the second,he aint right).

Rich, good idea.
jim

460shooter
07-10-2013, 09:30 AM
jim
Out of state residents have to apply for permit. Season for out of state trapping starts September 1st. I don't know the cost of the permit, but Libby seems to do pretty well with the turn around time, at least for the stuff I've worked with her on.

I will check my regs for more info, then re-post.

Ok, the cost is $150 and there are only 20 permits handed out. Here is the link to the regs, and the info you need is on page 7.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch06.pdf

raptrlvr
07-16-2013, 03:23 PM
My vet called Colorado today and asked them about the Health Certificate. He was told that I would need to get a import permit {for Colorado} before they would accept the health certificate and that the health certificate is only good for 14 days. Anybody know if this is correct and what does a Import Permit cost in Colorado?

jmnucci
07-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Here is a link to our regs. On page 14 it outlines the requirements regarding a field meet. I would interpret it as if you've pre-registered for the field meet you do not need an import permit, just the health certificate.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch06.pdf

Hope this helps.

Saluqi
07-16-2013, 03:44 PM
My vet called Colorado today and asked them about the Health Certificate. He was told that I would need to get a import permit {for Colorado} before they would accept the health certificate and that the health certificate is only good for 14 days. Anybody know if this is correct and what does a Import Permit cost in Colorado?

Check post #8 of this thread Jim. There's no mention of an import permit there, or on the NAFA web page (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm) about needing an import permit. Health certificates:

A. All participants importing raptors specifically for this meet will need to contact Trish Menchaca of the Colorado State Veterinarian Office at Patricia.Menchaca@state.co.us within 30 days of that transport to arrange for preapproval of a valid health certificate from an accredited veterinarian certifying that the bird(s) are disease free. Be sure to advise Trish that you will be registered for the 2013 NAFA Meet by the first day of that meet.

jmnucci
07-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Here is a link to the non-res falconry permit as well. $55 isn't that bad. I thought CO DPW would rake you over the coals. Plus for the extra 25 cents you can get lost and someone will come and find you free of charge.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/SpecialLicenses/Falconry/FalconryNon-ResidentLicenseApplication1.pdf

raptrlvr
07-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks Paul, I had read all the posting before, but, when I called the vet today, he then called Colorado and was told a import permit was required. Maybe my vet is not approved to do HC's. I'll have to check it out a little farther.

Yeomanfalconer
07-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Not sure I totally agree with the anti gun statement. They did tighten up a few laws. Not that I agree with what happened to a state I used to live in, but I don't really see it as anti gun.

That being said, I may have missed a few things that got pushed through, i.e. background check restrictions, magazine capacity, ccw permits.
The NRA sickens me lately. I say, lets all go to Colorado, just cause.

FredFogg
09-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Well, things change, I am coming to the meet! Now to figure out all this stuff I need to get before crossing Colorado's state line so they don't arrest me! LOL

JRedig
10-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Ok, roll call, who's going?

I'm in with a bird and a couple dogs this year! Tick tock tick tock!

Lowachi
10-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Ok, roll call, who's going?

I'm in with a bird and a couple dogs this year! Tick tock tick tock!

well duh, my hoard is on board. I'm only bringing the prairie, the setter & 2 doxies. Brandon's comin' via Mario, w/jerkin & his redtail. Don't know what I'm coming home with ;)

COMEAUX
10-30-2013, 12:32 AM
I'll be there with 3 birds 2 dogs and a happy Vet back in Texasfrus)

Dirthawking
10-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Brandi and I, a trailer full of dogs and birds.

SimoneBird
10-30-2013, 03:04 AM
I'll be there with a dog or two and probably a bird or two and a Kiwi.

Saluqi
10-30-2013, 09:14 AM
I'll be there with a gos, two falcons, and a dog. I did the paperwork this week, got my vet cert and scanned it and emailed to Trish somebody or other and got my import number, and sent in my app and check for a falconry permit/hunting license. It was easy, though a little confusing. Do it now before they get swamped and it's crazy.

Shehawker
10-30-2013, 09:50 AM
I'll be there, with one gos and one maybe two dogs.

-missy

FredFogg
10-30-2013, 01:46 PM
I will be there with a couple hawks and some good bourbon! :D

Ken S.
10-30-2013, 02:02 PM
It's too far for me to drive but I hated the thought of missing it this year, so I'm flying out for a few days. I'm not going to bring a bird with me this time, so hopefully I can tag along with some of you guys.

mainefalconer
10-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Okay, so I'm sitting here making my "to-do" list, and so far it looks like this;

Shake the hand of Rich B. the genius leather man
Convince Redig to give me a piggy-back ride around the weathering yard.
Bow down at the feet of Emperor CoonAss
Get Mario and Brandi's dogs so wound up that it makes M&B crazy(er)
Hang with my "feral" sister Simone and tease her Kiwi friend
Pester the hell out of Domski
Ask Missy if I can watch her fly her gos
Drink bourbon with Fred
Tag along with Ken and whomever he convinces to take us out.

Have I missed anything??? :D
Can't wait.
See y'all in Alamosa.

Dirthawking
10-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Yes. Bring scoop shirts for everybody! And the most important......stand in the middle of the weathering yard modeling your jacket!

JRedig
10-30-2013, 08:08 PM
I sure hope mcneff lost some weight in a year...otherwise, no piggy back rides!

FredFogg
10-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Scott, if you drink enough bourbon with me, you won't have to remember to do all that other stuff! LOL

Although I know you are just about to die to go out hawking with a bunch of Harris Hawkers since you love Harris Hawks so much! :eek:

Lowachi
10-30-2013, 10:54 PM
As long as there's Jack in Coke in yer other hand,...gotta see this piggy back ride

DLemieux
11-01-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't know whether I should be happy or sad that I didn't make that list.

Jeff, I'm a little worried about your physical abilities if you're concerned about McNeff's weight.toungeout

I'm looking forward to saving some money on Tuesday. After giving blood 2 or 3 drinks will have me on the floor.:D

raptrlvr
11-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Are health certificates required for dogs at this meet? I don't see anything about that and I am going to my vet tomorrow to have the HC"s done for the birds.

COMEAUX
11-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Are health certificates required for dogs at this meet? I don't see anything about that and I am going to my vet tomorrow to have the HC"s done for the birds.

Jim, I called them and yes frus)

JRedig
11-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Jeff, I'm a little worried about your physical abilities if you're concerned about McNeff's weight.toungeout

Married life is treating him...um..."well"...yeah, that's it. ;)

Saluqi
11-08-2013, 09:04 AM

I think the don't ask, don't tell policy is in effect.

raptrlvr
11-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey Paul, I am coming up to Abq this Sunday afternoon and staying till Monday afternoon. Will you have any time to put the back packs on the 2 birds?

COMEAUX
11-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I think the don't ask, don't tell policy is in effect.

I've been to every meet from 2000 on and was checked 1 time in Utah. I feel that if I have to go through all the trouble and expense then they should be on hand to see that we have them. I figure the time I do not get them then they will check frus) I was really thinking about not going because of all the BS,but I will be there, but I think this will be the last one I go to that I have to get health certs. for my animals! OK I don't feel any better,still pissed :mad:

jfincher
11-08-2013, 10:58 AM
does the out of state falconer also need a health cert.? Colorado...aka California lite.

COMEAUX
11-08-2013, 11:15 AM
does the out of state falconer also need a health cert.? Colorado...aka California lite.

:eek:

Lowachi
11-08-2013, 07:03 PM
just left the vet. $345.00 for 3 dogs & prairie...damn!

raptrlvr
11-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Hate to tell you this Rich, my vet did the 3 birds today for $21.24 and thanked me for telling him about the sport of falconry.

JRedig
11-08-2013, 07:46 PM
You guys have to pay your vet's? confusedd :D

Lowachi
11-08-2013, 08:26 PM
You guys have to pay your vet's? confusedd :D
most of that was shots on the dogs, minus rabies,,, he didn't break down the receipt. Vernal was over $500, and I gave 2 of those dogs away ;).

Entry no. was quick & painless though. Slick!

FredFogg
11-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know if you have to have your actual CO falconry license on your person while you are out hawking or can it be in the vehicle? NC gives us wallet size licenses but the CO license is huge. I have put my CO falconry license, Health Certificate, Habitat Stamp, HIP and copies of 3-186A's in a gallon zip lock bag. Do I have to carry all of that with me when I am hawking?

Oh yeah, HC's for 2 birds was $55 each for health checks and then $25 for the actual HC. And let me say, what a scam? The health checks consisted of basically irritating my birds. Of course, they had to bring in several young folks that hadn't done a health check on a raptor. They hold the bird down on its back, hooded as I instisted on that, pull the wings out, look at all the feathers, note that EmmyLou didn't molt a secondary feather on each wing. OMG! Look at her mouth, check her feet, check her vent and then make me take the hood off so they can look into her eyes! That's it! $55, hell, I could have done that! And then they do it to my red-tail. I know I should have thought this but I was kind of hoping she would have grabbed the girls glove that was holding her down because she had on these welding gloves and I can assure you, her talons would have went right through them. LOL

Question - do all the birds that migrate through CO have health certificates? frus)

JRedig
11-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Question - do all the birds that migrate through CO have health certificates? frus)

A question asked repeatedly of our state personnel when we are required to get a health cert for bringing birds back into the state. Go to SD and get a redtail? Need a health cert to bring it back. Who knew you could get a job stopping raptors at the border and giving them physicals? I want in on that gig.

Goes right in line with recommendations to heat the mews for redtails in a MN winter...who's knitting sweaters for the wild birds?!!!

Stupidity really knows no bounds and it seems to be getting worse.

Dirthawking
11-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Yes you are supposed to have your permit on you. I used to keep mine in a zip lock in my hunting vest. As well as one in my wallet, glove box, hawk box, falconry box, etc...

FredFogg
11-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Yes you are supposed to have your permit on you. I used to keep mine in a zip lock in my hunting vest. As well as one in my wallet, glove box, hawk box, falconry box, etc...

Ok, I think I will bring it to work and reduce it down to wallet size and keep the original in the zip lock bag in the car.

FredFogg
11-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Ok, I haven't worn long johns since deer hunting back in WV when I was a kid and I am pretty sure my mom bought them at Sears. I know they have better long johns now days and from the weather forecast, it looks like I am going to need them while I am out there. I remember reading that there are some really good ones out there now but can't remember the names, anyone have any idea where to get therm and what? Sporting goods stores or WalMart or what?

Dirthawking
11-09-2013, 01:49 AM
I get mine from Walmart. Stand out in the yard rain or shine every year in them with little problem. Also used to work outside year round when I worked in Colorado. Might have just been used to the cold but Walmart ones always worked for me. Your milage may vary.

Saluqi
11-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Anyone have the link of where to get the habitat stamp and CO duck stamp? Thanks.

FredFogg
11-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Anyone have the link of where to get the habitat stamp and CO duck stamp? Thanks.

It should be on the Meets page (http://n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm).

It is in Section C on the Meet page, just click on the links to take you to the Habitat Stamp and you will also be able to select your Waterfoul stamp.

FredFogg
11-10-2013, 03:39 AM
OK folks, last chance to pre-register for the NAFA Meet in Alamosa. I will be taking the online pre-registration page down and access to it from the Meet page today at 6 p.m., right before I leave for work. So if you want to register, you better do it TODAY!!!!!!!

Also, if you are waiting to register at the meet, there are different requirements as far as import permits and such, so take note and read about these requirements on the Meet page (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm) on the NAFA website.

ukroper
11-10-2013, 04:48 AM
:D Fredd, will you be bringing that cheap ass cola with you again??toungeout;)

FredFogg
11-10-2013, 07:45 PM
:D Fredd, will you be bringing that cheap ass cola with you again??toungeout;)

Nope, I will be buying what ever cheap ass diet cola they sell in CO! toungeout

FredFogg
11-10-2013, 07:55 PM
NAFA Meet Pre-registration is NOW CLOSED!!!!!

See you all in Alamosa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me add, you can still register at the Meet but you will have different restrictions than if you had pre-registered! See the Meet page on the NAFA website for these restrictions.

NMHighPlains
11-10-2013, 08:10 PM
NAFA Meet Pre-registration is NOW CLOSED!!!!!

See you all in Alamosa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What!?!!! Wait!!!! :eek:

:D

ukroper
11-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Nope, I will be buying what ever cheap ass diet cola they sell in CO! toungeout

:D:D:D:D

Jahkristjanfari
11-17-2013, 01:44 AM
Can't wait for next week. I will be in Alamosa for T-day, (my parents grew up there), so it's a second home to me. This is my first meet- what are the must-see events? Let's hear your tips for a NAFA meet virgin.

Ps, I'm volunteering 150 acres of my family's private land outside the city if any of you crazies wanna catch some critters with you're critters. Hopefully that pays my registration fee ;) ;)

raptrlvr
11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Jahkristjanfari, sent you a PM.

FredFogg
11-20-2013, 05:19 AM
And the journey begins! See you all here! peacee

mainefalconer
11-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Same here...
I'm flying out tomorrow morning. See you all soon!
Can't wait!

raptrlvr
11-20-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm driving up tomorrow morning. Its an 8 hour drive for me.

Roper
11-20-2013, 09:17 AM
I posted the weather report for the next ten days in Alamosa yesterday ,, anybody seen the post I cant seem to find it ??
as people were asking what kinds of clothing to bring

JRedig
11-20-2013, 12:22 PM
I posted the weather report for the next ten days in Alamosa yesterday ,, anybody seen the post I cant seem to find it ??

It's in the thread, "alamosa and what to wear." ;)

Lowachi
11-20-2013, 12:29 PM

saw it confusedd

Heading out zero dark thirty Friday morning. see y'all. Travel safe!!!

Shehawker
11-20-2013, 03:28 PM
So excited to head out this Saturday! I'm jealous of those that have already started their trip.
So question for those who are more familiar with Colorado, Given the choice between taking a route on I70 and then through Salida or going through Grand Junction and then through Montrose to reach Alamosa, which would the Coloradains recommend?

-missy

JRedig
11-20-2013, 08:31 PM
It be gettin' cold this week! DAMN! I have to completely rethink the clothes i was bringing...ha

Lowachi
11-21-2013, 03:01 AM
It be gettin' cold this week! DAMN! I have to completely rethink the clothes i was bringing...ha

now ya know why I /Mario don't wanna stand out there til zero dark thirty ;)

raptrlvr
11-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Thursday 6am. Birds are loaded and I think all else that I will need for the NAFA meet. Fast breakfast with the wife and I'll be out of here by 6:30. Hope all of you have a safe trip and we'll see you in Alamosa.

raptrlvr
11-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Arrived at the hotel about 20 minutes ago. Rooms are nice, but, not fancy. The weather is very overcast and cool. I have a non smoking room, but, step out into the hallway and it really smells like cigerattes. Gonna head down town and check the joint out.

raptrlvr
11-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Woke up around 2 am and looked out the window. It was snowing and the snow is still falling 2 hours later.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z74/raptrlvr/raptrlvr022/_14271_zps1a2ecf92.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/raptrlvr/media/raptrlvr022/_14271_zps1a2ecf92.jpg.html)

Ken S.
11-22-2013, 09:54 AM
I fly into Denver tomorrow morning early... if that snow keeps falling I'm gonna have an exciting drive down to Alamosa in a little compact rental car! I hope to see y'all by 1:30pm... I'm excited to get out there!

raptrlvr
11-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Well, its 7:45 am and its still snowing. I drove {slide} over to WalMart and the roads were defiantly slippery. The snow plows have been working all morning, so, traffic is still moving. The cold really made the birds lose weight last night, so, they are about 15 grams lighter than what I normally fly them at. They spent the night in the trailer.

ukroper
11-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Spent a great evening with Saluki and his beautiful family & friends in there lovelly home in Nm, eating REAL mexican & drinking a keg of alepeaceepeacee
Be heading out to Alamosa today following MrRedig....SEE YALL SOON !

Thanks Paulrockonrockon

talonslair
11-24-2013, 12:18 PM
There was a plan to come over but other things got in the way ,drive safely as there's a few having accidents enroute, never assume a gritted road is just a wet road!

Mick

JRedig
11-25-2013, 09:20 AM
So far the weather has been very "winter wonderland". I for one, love it. Quarry abounds, friends everywhere, it's the morning of day 3 here and it's already been an awesome week! Supposed to clear off and turn gorgeous, hopefully today.

Smaller turnout for sure, but man it feels like family around here. Let's get this party started!

RyanAnt
11-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Jim?! So the only picture we get from the NAFA meet is the snow on the truck?! :D:eek:rantttoungeout

skooky20
11-25-2013, 11:27 AM
ryan i was thinking the same thing.

FredFogg
11-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Out this morning with some HH guys and this is what we had to tromp threw!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/Mobile%20Uploads/32D0CC27-4066-4AB0-9AB8-A8C9E3607608_zpsabod9ffr.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/FredrickFogg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/32D0CC27-4066-4AB0-9AB8-A8C9E3607608_zpsabod9ffr.jpg.html)

And this is what we have to deal with just about everywhere we fly !

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/Mobile%20Uploads/D241CDFD-378D-4F86-BCFB-A54F12219563_zpshlg3kzpn.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/FredrickFogg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D241CDFD-378D-4F86-BCFB-A54F12219563_zpshlg3kzpn.jpg.html)

EmmyLou caught 2 bunnies but I forgot to get any pics.

wyodjm
11-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Out this morning with some HH guys and this is what we had to tromp threw!

[URL=http://s261.photobucket.com/user/FredrickFogg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/32D0CC27-4066-4AB0-9AB8-A8C9E3607608_zpsabod9ffr.jpg.html]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/Mobile%20Uploads/32D0CC27-4066-4AB0-9AB8-A8C9E3607608_zpsabod9ffr.jpg[/URL

Looks like prime goshawk hawking weather and conditions to me! :)

goshawks00
11-25-2013, 07:10 PM
2x

bluehawk1
11-25-2013, 08:21 PM
If anyone wants a photographer along, I've got a good friend named Conrad Tan. He's pretty good, and would be ecstatic to be able to photograph some in flight action.

FredFogg
11-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Looks like prime goshawk hawking weather and conditions to me! :)

Jeff Redig took a duck with his goshawk on Sunday, haven't talked to him today so not sure how he did. But yeah, this is goshawk heaven!

HGlider
11-25-2013, 09:24 PM

OMG in the 40's? Try Yankton SD in 75' Two HHs rode in the laps of the driver and passenger they were so cold. Not kidding.

JRedig
11-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Jeff Redig took a duck with his goshawk on Sunday, haven't talked to him today so not sure how he did. But yeah, this is goshawk heaven!

Had great flights on whitetail jacks, grabbed the first one 3 times but kept getting peeled off! I think we got them on video. Still havent seen a cottontail yet...

bluehawk1
11-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Had great flights on whitetail jacks, grabbed the first one 3 times but kept getting peeled off! I think we got them on video. Still havent seen a cottontail yet...
Nice! would love to see the video!

FredFogg
11-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Not as cool as Jeff's video but a pic of Jerry and his red-tail Sheeba on a bunny. It was about 15 degrees out and the bunnies were everywhere, lots if fun!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/Mobile%20Uploads/A8BED89A-8C67-4B0B-87CD-CD66AD46A8CD_zps84dwhscf.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/FredrickFogg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/A8BED89A-8C67-4B0B-87CD-CD66AD46A8CD_zps84dwhscf.jpg.html)

Red-tail71
11-27-2013, 06:34 AM
Congrats Mr Jerry! Way to go Sheeba, you deserve that turkey neck this Thanksgiving! Take care and I look forward to seeing you guys again!

JRedig
11-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Not as cool as Jeff's video but a pic of Jerry and his red-tail Sheeba on a bunny. It was about 15 degrees out and the bunnies were everywhere, lots of fun!

That was a good flight over a gorgeous sunset, that bunny almost made it! Maybe she'll go after a whitetail today, No 1030 chick feedings!:D

dwit1990
11-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Hello everyone,

Kind of a last second thing here...

Turns out I will be in CO for Thanksgiving and I'll be about 2 hours from the meet. Hoping to make it down either Friday or Saturday. I will be without my bird; however, so I was hoping someone wouldn't mind a tag-along. I'd love to see some eagle falconry or some high-flying long wings... but I really don't have that much of a preference.

If anyone wouldn't mind, shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll get in touch with you this afternoon or tomorrow - I'll be on a plane this afternoon.

Much appreciated, and good hawking,

-Dan

FredFogg
11-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone from Alamosa!
Someone gave me a Thanksgiving bird, well, not really, but it was the bird!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/Mobile%20Uploads/1D44425C-CDDF-45B5-99E5-3BD1CE8AA4C1_zps7x3wxgai.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/FredrickFogg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1D44425C-CDDF-45B5-99E5-3BD1CE8AA4C1_zps7x3wxgai.jpg.html)

FredFogg
12-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Lauren and Jack Oar!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/IMG_1100_zpsa0270070.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/FredrickFogg/media/IMG_1100_zpsa0270070.jpg.html)

sakerjack
12-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Jack and Lauren , great photo!!

JRedig
12-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Who the hell is fred fogg!?

goshawks00
12-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Froghorn,s half brother.............

Lowachi
12-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Froghorn,s half brother.............

hahaha

SimoneBird
12-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Who the hell is fred fogg!?

Don't EVEN get me started....

GONEHAWKN
12-02-2013, 02:26 AM
Don't EVEN get me started....

Why aren't any pics of Fred being posted? I know there had to be at least one taken the entire time he was there.

FredFogg
12-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Why aren't any pics of Fred being posted? I know there had to be at least one taken the entire time he was there.

Here you go Bill, this is one you will like!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/Mobile%20Uploads/55EEFC38-179A-4F9C-A621-AA485504F95A_zpseivyr3ft.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/FredrickFogg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/55EEFC38-179A-4F9C-A621-AA485504F95A_zpseivyr3ft.jpg.html)

And one more of my Emmou's last bunnie on Friday!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/Mobile%20Uploads/78C6429F-FE7A-46CD-8DBF-E0614DAFA1ED_zpsepym2ig6.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/FredrickFogg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/78C6429F-FE7A-46CD-8DBF-E0614DAFA1ED_zpsepym2ig6.jpg.html)

Lowachi
12-02-2013, 09:57 AM

repeated abuse of camera like that caused huge chip failure :eek:

roscogruen
01-31-2014, 12:59 AM
man, i quit noticing how long that is. i was astounded by the number of jacks and reports of unfrozen ponds. alamosa is a great place for a meet so long as the game remains. my birds got two white-tail's and a few CT's.

i highly suggest riding the water slide!

i'd like to mention that the "counts" of game and non-game animals taken by states. they are public information. i requested such a report but haven't heard anything back. i was able to speak with a TPWD person about the counts though. he was very helpful.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/roscogruen/alamosa%202013/IMG_20131127_150855.jpg (http://s1131.photobucket.com/user/roscogruen/media/alamosa%202013/IMG_20131127_150855.jpg.html)