PDA

View Full Version : The Four Week Window

gos'n
05-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Just recieved a copy of this book. Very interesting concept.
I have a new falcon coming soon, and am thinking of trying to develope it in the way described. There will have to be some adjustments made for the east coast environment I will be hacking in, and I was wondering what others think of the method, and how they might have implemented it.

California Native
05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
John,

Using a similar plan with hacking from home, I developed two different falcons in 1979 and 1981. Each turned out well. Each were eyas birds raised from 21-24 days of age. In each case they were developing longer than 4 weeks.

Hacking is of course not new and methods vary as to how anyone brings their birds along. Nothing I have done has produced better falcons than by using this method.

Dan

gos'n
05-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Bump.

bobpayne
05-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Just recieved a copy of this book. Very interesting concept.
I have a new falcon coming soon, and am thinking of trying to develope it in the way described. There will have to be some adjustments made for the east coast environment I will be hacking in, and I was wondering what others think of the method, and how they might have implemented it.

I haven't implemented it with a longwing, but I will........ have several shortwings that where hunting before penning and have always enjoyed the way the hawks hunted!

I really enjoyed the book makes good sense to me, wish that I was on the ball and ordered my late season peregrine purchase early instead, but work had got in the way.

carlosR
05-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Hi, I devoured this book last year when imprinting my new goshawk. It's an excellent read and the results were well worth it. It's a different take on raising a bird and I believe a very appropriate way of raising an imprint.
Good luck and don't let the scary aspects of the tame hack prevent you from doing this. You will spend so little time training your hawk and a lot of time flying your hawk.

americansharpy
06-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Lynn gave a presentation at the Vernal meet in 2011 on this topic. Great stuff!