PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Idaho!

WilliamB
05-15-2013, 04:13 AM
I'm completely inexperienced with falconry, but have found it fascinating sense I was a boy. I currently live around Boise but am planning to buy a house in northern ID this year. Anyway, I'd like to learn more to see if falconry is something I could be able to get into and commit to. Thanks for having me :)

- Bill B.

oldguy
05-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi Bill,

Welcome to NAFEX. Boise valley has a bunch of falconers. Have you been to the Archives ? Highly recommended.

Good luck wherever you end up.

WilliamB
05-15-2013, 12:18 PM
No, I hadn't heard of it until a couple days ago, and would like to make a trip before we move. I actually moved here from the Seattle area last summer, but we miss the mountains and trees and want to head north lol.

Thanks you for the welcome!

sharptail
05-15-2013, 12:55 PM
No, I hadn't heard of it until a couple days ago, and would like to make a trip before we move. I actually moved here from the Seattle area last summer, but we miss the mountains and trees and want to head north lol.

Thanks you for the welcome!I am hearing that! My daughter has been there for about 7 years and wants out. Seems like Boise gets the worst of hot in the summer and can still have tough winters. On any given day you can find yourself in a traffic jam. SW Idaho used to be a great place to fly longwings. Now it is fairly crowded, with housing developments popping up in strange places, well out of town.

Even so, their is still a lot of flyable quarry for other types of falconry, even right in the city limits. Potential quarry in town are Pheasant, Quail, Ducks, probably Cotton Tail Rabbits and many others.

WilliamB
05-15-2013, 01:06 PM
We moved here in May of 2012, and through the summer we had over 3 months of 90+ degree weather, with many days above 100 (108 was the hottest at my work). Yet during the coldest part of the winter, I was seeing temps below zero while heading to work. Working in a shop building firetrucks, we often had to have the doors open, or even spending time outside, and neither side of the spectrum was comfortable. I was accustomed to the rather mild summers and winters of living near the coast.

Anyway, we are looking to buy well north with some acreage and a little more breathing room =)

Tom Smith
05-15-2013, 03:00 PM
We moved here in May of 2012, and through the summer we had over 3 months of 90+ degree weather, with many days above 100 (108 was the hottest at my work). Yet during the coldest part of the winter, I was seeing temps below zero while heading to work. Working in a shop building firetrucks, we often had to have the doors open, or even spending time outside, and neither side of the spectrum was comfortable. I was accustomed to the rather mild summers and winters of living near the coast.

Anyway, we are looking to buy well north with some acreage and a little more breathing room =)

I would look more before I leap. I worked in northern Idaho for a few summers, unbearable heat from the humidity. Often temperatures over a 100 degrees and just sweat city. Every ten days I took four days off and back to S/E Idaho and more pleasant weather. The temperatures were the same but it felt cooler because it is dryer.

WilliamB
05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Egh... I didn't think it got that hot up there. Climate info I found showed like 82-83* F as the average during the summer.

I've never been to S/E ID but assumed (you know what they say about that) that S/E and S/W Idaho where about the same idea in terms of terrain, climate, etc. Isn't there a lot of people around S/E Idaho as well? We're looking to find something quite rural.

Tom Smith
05-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Egh... I didn't think it got that hot up there. Climate info I found showed like 82-83* F as the average during the summer.

I've never been to S/E ID but assumed (you know what they say about that) that S/E and S/W Idaho where about the same idea in terms of terrain, climate, etc. Isn't there a lot of people around S/E Idaho as well? We're looking to find something quite rural.

S/E Idaho gets hot but it was perhaps just a little cooler that S/W Idaho last summer but what was bad, and for Boise to, was the all the perpetual smoke from all the wildfires. Sometime it is not like that but I'm afraid it will be bad again the summer. Two summers ago and the one before that it was rain lots and lots of rain, so one never knows. Have you considered south central Idaho and the Salmon River country? That might be worth checking out for the things you want. Mountains, rural, low populations, snow but livable, and lots of wide open country and pine forests and a bit cooler in the summer. Check out this website Lost River falcons especially the hawking photo gallery. http://www.lostriverfalcons.com/ That is a south central Idaho location.

oldguy
05-15-2013, 08:11 PM
"Rural" is a good way to describe S.E. ID. I believe Boise is the only city in Idaho with a traffic report on the news.
Last winter was a cold one. Last summer was hotter than normal. Average temperature in ID is relative. Southern ID might get 10 in. moisture a year in the valleys. As many feet or more in the mountains.
One thing to remember about N. Idaho. even though there are mountains and forests, it is lower in elevation than Southern Idaho.
I like the dry climate here. Great for raising prairie falcons !

Tom Smith
05-15-2013, 08:19 PM
"Rural" is a good way to describe S.E. ID. I believe Boise is the only city in Idaho with a traffic report on the news.
Last winter was a cold one. Last summer was hotter than normal. Average temperature in ID is relative. Southern ID might get 10 in. moisture a year in the valleys. As many feet or more in the mountains.
One thing to remember about N. Idaho. even though there are mountains and forests, it is lower in elevation than Southern Idaho.

Dan, Are you kidding or have you not been east lately it is almost continuous city from Inkom to Ashton. In some areas it is a little sparsely populated but that is Indian Reservation. Of course there are bits and pieces of wilderness here and there.

oldguy
05-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Dan, Are you kidding or have you not been east lately it is almost continuous city from Inkom to Ashton. In some areas it is a little sparsely populated but that is Indian Reservation. Of course there are bits and pieces of wilderness here and there.

Well actually the last time I was east of Pocatello was two summers ago. We stayed on I-86 so didn't really see much hawking country.
You would know better than I.

Tom Smith
05-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Well actually the last time I was east of Pocatello was two summers ago. We stayed on I-86 so didn't really see much hawking country.
You would know better than I.

Yes, it seems a little different from the interstate but once one is out and about it is a little different. If one had plenty of gas money there is a lot of country with in a 75-100 miles of I-86 and I-15 that would do for a trip weekly or every other week but on a daily basis it will kill you, I used to do it though back when I had some scratch.

WilliamB
05-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Well, by rural I mean living-20-minutes-outside-the-nearest-town-of-1000-people rural which seems fairly easy to find up north. It'd probably be the same in the southern parts as well.

The lower elevation was something that drew me to that area. I'd assume we'd experience not significant amounts of snow (like 2-3+ feet at a time) and generally milder weather than here in the Treasure Valley area.

I realize that you won't get a coastal climate unless your, well, living on the coast. But I'd like to find something fairly close to what we had back home, just with a little less gray skies, and more distinct seasons.

Below: Just a few minutes from my old house.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3270/5875974012_7d599a191f_z.jpg

This dry and dead Treasure Valley area makes me feel like I'm in a post-apocalypse movie sometimes painkillerr

Tom Smith
05-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Well, by rural I mean living-20-minutes-outside-the-nearest-town-of-1000-people rural which seems fairly easy to find up north. It'd probably be the same in the southern parts as well.

The lower elevation was something that drew me to that area. I'd assume we'd experience not significant amounts of snow (like 2-3+ feet at a time) and generally milder weather than here in the Treasure Valley area.

I realize that you won't get a coastal climate unless your, well, living on the coast. But I'd like to find something fairly close to what we had back home, just with a little less gray skies, and more distinct seasons.

Below: Just a few minutes from my old house.

This dry and dead Treasure Valley area makes me feel like I'm in a post-apocalypse movie sometimes painkillerr

Bill, I certainly feel a certain anxiety about what you perceived as a apocalyptic world around Boise last summer. I'm not looking forward to this years fire season that looks like it will be worse than last summer. Orange sun for days on end and the terrible stench wildfire smoke and smoke so thick it looked like fog. In my area we lost about 75 homes to wildfire last summer. Just thinking about it for this year made me want to move to the coast myself.

Looking at your scenic picture made me wonder if you have taken a drive up to the Cascade/McCall/New Meadows area just a short distance from Boise. Last summer may not have been the best for the smoke but I think you would find it similar to your picture and it is only about a 100 miles from Boise. And then in a little different direction is Bear Valley/ Stanley and the Saw Tooth Mountains very spectacular and not to far from Boise either.

Some of these places you would find that the practice of falconry in the falconry season would be nearly impossible. So since you haven't started falconry yet, if you like that type of place I would reconsider my falconry ambitions. To a falconer what constitutes beautiful country would look much different than to the average person.

WilliamB
05-16-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the 75 homes being lost. I couldn't imagen how terrible that must feel for those families. :( And yeah, the smoke around the Boise area last year was pretty overwhelming. I took a picture one day, that looked just like the dark rain clouds from back home, only it was smoke on an otherwise bright sunny day.

Last summer I took a drive up through Boise City to another town (lowman?), I can't remember the name for sure, than out through Garden Valley to Banks and back down to Boise. Garden Valley area was very beautiful, and honestly I would be very comfortable up there, if it wasn't for the serveral feet of snowfall at a time that I hear about (speaking of, I should probably look into it more myself) I enjoy a bit of snow on the ground, but don't want to have to buy a snowmobile just to go get groceries lol.

I have not looked into the Bear Valley/Stanley or Saw Tooth Mountain areas at all, and will look into them, thanks!

I loved Alaska when I visited up there a few years ago, but the short days and excessive weather makes that a no go.

Your assessment on me having to reevaluate my falconry ambitions may unfortunately have some merit. I'm the type of person (haven't met many like me) that once I get interested in something, I really get into it. From music to investing/business to blacksmithing and several outdoor activities. Reading countless books on the subjects (well over 200 on investing alone), spending hundreds (if not more) hours online learning everything I can and getting as much hands on experience as I can.

Unfortunately until I see what hawking is like in-person, I won't know for sure if it's something that is for me. The idea of it really sounds like it is something I could go crazy over, but I realize that I don't know what I don't know about it yet which is why I'm spending time here on this forum and browsing the internet. That lack of certainty will probably be proof to most that falconry may not be for me, which may very well play out to be the case. I'd love to beat bush for someone to start seeing it in person.

Anyway, falconry obviously isn't a big enough part of my life for it to dictate where I want to move right now, though some day it might. Thank you for your replies, Tom, you've been a help!

sharptail
05-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi William,
The multiple aspects of what all is lumped under the name falconry vary greatly. After someone goes out and beats the brush a few time, they have just scratched the surfice of just one aspect, with only one(or few) varity(s) of ratpor(s), in one environment.

In general catigories one could seperate raptors into hawks, falcons and eagles(yes, I know I am leaving out owls). In size raptors run from(pun intended) the kestral to eagles. Flight style should start with direct pursuit to full waiting on and everything in between. Each division has it's devotees. The twists and turns of each branch can be very different from each other. One example could be in micro falconry where a Sharp Shinned Hawk could be flown out of a shoe box at your local Micky D's resturant, to catch a sparrow within 15 feet of you, to a Merlin flown at Starling at a speck in the sky, herding them in a huge 'bait ball' like preditory fish feeding on Sardines in the ocean. Looseing sight of a merlin under these conditions is a regular occurance and they may well be picked up with the use of telemetry some miles away, after eating their prize. These are just 2 examples under the heading of Micro Falconry and there is so very much more, in other catigories to this sport.

Give you self the gift of time to explore the several aspect and perhaps you to will be bitten by some form of the falconry bug and perhaps it will help dictate where you choose to live.

I am so sorry to read that you were shot! If it has not happend already, I pray for your full recovery! I could not even imagine the pain and hopefully will never have too.

WilliamB
05-16-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm a very patient person and a natural student of the world. Be it next year or 20 years from now, falconry may find it's way into my life. The more I learn about it every day, the more amazed I am about it. I know myself well enough to know that if I were to take the plunge into falconry - I'd likely devote a fair piece of my life to it until the day I die.

Only thing is, I've not yet taken the plunge, and other aspects of my life are pushing me to places it sounds like falconry my not be ideal. (Doesn't mean I won't try some day though ;)

It also sounds apparent that I really need to learn more about the all the different aspects of falconry, I hadn't realized there was such diversity. Your definitely right on point with giving myself time to discover =)

As for getting shot, it actually wasn't as big of deal as I imagened it would be lol. I think firearms scare a lot of people (let's say in a bank robery scenario) due to the natural human fear/anxiety of the unknown. It was physically fairly paralzying in terms of going about my life normally for several weeks, but about a month and a half after it happened, I've been fortunate enough to have a 100% recovery, minus the scars. Thank you for your concern!

Lastly - I've seen a few of the threads on book recommendations but they seem to be geared towards 'well it depends on what kind of bird you want' go with XYZ, etc... Could you recommend a book for someone who is 100% new to falconry, that gives a good general overview of the world of falconry? Preferably one with good illustrations, though not required.

sharptail
05-17-2013, 12:07 PM
I will recommend Two. The Complete Falconer, by Frank Beebe. The 9th edition of North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks, by Beebe and Hal Webster is being printed currently and can be pre-ordered from Western Sporting at a discount. It is due out in June. It is a two volume set. You may want to see if you can get a copy signed by Hal, he is 93. Frank is gone. The pre order price is about $90., that includes a 10% discount.

WilliamB
05-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Awesome, thank you!

Yeomanfalconer
05-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Try Blue Lakes Ave. in Twin or around the Chubback Wal-mart if you want to experience worse than Boise. At least here in Boizee we are trying to embrace big-cityum.

WilliamB
05-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Boizee lol. It took all of 10 minutes of me being here to be corrected that it's "Boy-see" not "Boyz-E"... I let the person know, that I'll keep that in mind, but "Boyz-E" is how the rest of the world, outside of this area, pronounces it. :P

We're looking at a couple places pretty closely now, up in the Sandpoint/Bonner's Ferry area, as well as 1 other in the Colville WA area. We'll see what happens. ^.^

Yeomanfalconer
05-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Boizee lol. It took all of 10 minutes of me being here to be corrected that it's "Boy-see" not "Boyz-E"... I let the person know, that I'll keep that in mind, but "Boyz-E" is how the rest of the world, outside of this area, pronounces it. :P

We're looking at a couple places pretty closely now, up in the Sandpoint/Bonner's Ferry area, as well as 1 other in the Colville WA area. We'll see what happens. ^.^
If you come from somewhere else, even thirty years ago, it's Boizee. If for no other reason than to piss off the smug natives.

Tom Smith
05-28-2013, 11:22 PM
If you come from somewhere else, even thirty years ago, it's Boizee. If for no other reason than to piss off the smug natives.

Curious Eric, but are there any smug natives left, I thought it all was immigrant feriners by now. I know that is the case with the falconers. I'm willing to bet almost a 100% came from somewhere else.

WilliamB
05-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Well, being 28 years old and new to the area, I guess I wouldn't know one way or the other really. =)

And yeah, it's pretty amazing, the amount of out-of-state license plates you see in this area. Which I'd imagen, barely touches on the amount of people who didn't grow up in this area.

Tom Smith
05-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Bill, don't think my comments were directed at you. More at Eric who is usually on the prod, or so it seems, for a friendly ruffle. When Eric arrived in Idaho with a horde of other falconers back in the 70's there seemed to be a theme among the bunch that they were going make Idaho falconry a show case for falconry nation wide.

Many falconers that were already here had come from somewhere else to escape the conditions in their state of origin. The previous immigrants enjoyed some of the best falconry practiced anywhere probably in the whole world.

Then the newer guys showed up bent on civilising us and making model rules and regulations modeled after the rules and regulations they didn't like in their home state that made leaving there desirable.

In the meantime there occurred a quiet mass exodus of the previous immigrant falconers to other places that looked better. I say mass but there wasn't that many falconers here to form a mass and that is why it was so good here.

So I was born here and feel deeply rooted here and grew up thanking my lucky stars that I was born in such a place that was more a state of mind rather than political geographical enity that it was soon to become. So when someone insults the natives it tends to strike a tender nerve with me and I'm pretty sure Eric knows it.

WilliamB
05-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Ah, well, that sounds like a whole mess of stuff I don't need to get my nose into lol. Sounds like the world of falconry can be as competitive as a fly fisherman against fellow fisherman and not wanting them to intrude on "your" spot.

I suppose it'd be quite understandable in a way. I'm an avid fisherman, and while I usually do not practice catch-and-release, it isn't the food aspect of fishing (or sometimes even catching anything at all really) that pulls me to the water's edge time and time again. I have zero experience with falconry, and yet I can imagen getting the same... quiet contentment watching mother nature's wonders in falconry, the same as setting a fly.

It can be a little irratating having that majestic beauty interupted by others. Though one can also embrace that wonder with fellow friends. Eye of the beholder I guess.

Tom Smith
05-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Ah, well, that sounds like a whole mess of stuff I don't need to get my nose into lol. Sounds like the world of falconry can be as competitive as a fly fisherman against fellow fisherman and not wanting them to intrude on "your" spot.

I suppose it'd be quite understandable in a way. I'm an avid fisherman, and while I usually do not practice catch-and-release, it isn't the food aspect of fishing (or sometimes even catching anything at all really) that pulls me to the water's edge time and time again. I have zero experience with falconry, and yet I can imagen getting the same... quiet contentment watching mother nature's wonders in falconry, the same as setting a fly.

It can be a little irratating having that majestic beauty interupted by others. Though one can also embrace that wonder with fellow friends. Eye of the beholder I guess.

I have no problem with you or your wanting to find a place and activities that contribute to your pursuit of happiness and if I can help you with that goal, I'm game.

I do have a problem with some falconer's that came here in the 70's and proceeded to change what we had worked for and were accomplishing to make the laws compliant to the new Fed Regs, (then) without losing anything we already had and we were doing it at a pace that didn't upset the apple cart.

Then in the latter half of the 70's there was a big influx of falconers that arrived probably in response to the Peregrine Fund relocating to Boise. Without trying to learn what we already had which I assume they thought was all wrong, with out investigating, they started rewriting the laws in their own image, so to speak. What freedoms we already had went out the window.

So I'm still a little sensitive about it, especially when I'm insulted for how I pronounce Boise or what religion I might be by one of the immigrants of the 70's. But it is light hearted at least from my point if view.

WilliamB
05-31-2013, 01:29 PM
I have no problem with you or your wanting to find a place and activities that contribute to your pursuit of happiness and if I can help you with that goal, I'm game.

I do have a problem with some falconer's that came here in the 70's and proceeded to change what we had worked for and were accomplishing to make the laws compliant to the new Fed Regs, (then) without losing anything we already had and we were doing it at a pace that didn't upset the apple cart.

Then in the latter half of the 70's there was a big influx of falconers that arrived probably in response to the Peregrine Fund relocating to Boise. Without trying to learn what we already had which I assume they thought was all wrong, with out investigating, they started rewriting the laws in their own image, so to speak. What freedoms we already had went out the window.

So I'm still a little sensitive about it, especially when I'm insulted for how I pronounce Boise or what religion I might be by one of the immigrants of the 70's. But it is light hearted at least from my point if view.

Completely understandable. Part of our desire to move east had been to get away from the growing influence around the Sound from Californians and Canadians. Both seem to enjoy being there - which is understandable - but instead of adopting a bit to the customs of the area, many have tried to push their culture onto the rest. You'll find a general distaste for both by most of the people who grew up in the Sound.

It sounds like you guys had a pretty ideal setup before the changes in the 70's, I'm sorry to hear about it. =/

Yeomanfalconer
05-31-2013, 09:15 PM

The P. Fund did not get here until 1984. From 1979 to then I think I witnessed original Idaho hunting. After that, the area was beseaged with new people. With all the Greenfalk people Mattox brought in to study the canyon at the same time, the area was awash with falconers.

Most of all of them have left, a few of us die hards are still here.

Yeomanfalconer
06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Curious Eric, but are there any smug natives left, I thought it all was immigrant feriners by now. I know that is the case with the falconers. I'm willing to bet almost a 100% came from somewhere else.
Not that fly birds anymore. Wayne Lieppert is native I believe, Jeff Gerhard was before he was corrupted by a Californian, Tom Hudson. Thats in a good way, Jeff still flies good hawks. I continualy meet native Boise people who had some exposure to Mr. Nelson, back in the day, that still aspire to be falconers, but...

Yeomanfalconer
06-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Bill, don't think my comments were directed at you. More at Eric who is usually on the prod, or so it seems, for a friendly ruffle. When Eric arrived in Idaho with a horde of other falconers back in the 70's there seemed to be a theme among the bunch that they were going make Idaho falconry a show case for falconry nation wide.

Many falconers that were already here had come from somewhere else to escape the conditions in their state of origin. The previous immigrants enjoyed some of the best falconry practiced anywhere probably in the whole world.

Then the newer guys showed up bent on civilising us and making model rules and regulations modeled after the rules and regulations they didn't like in their home state that made leaving there desirable.

In the meantime there occurred a quiet mass exodus of the previous immigrant falconers to other places that looked better. I say mass but there wasn't that many falconers here to form a mass and that is why it was so good here.

So I was born here and feel deeply rooted here and grew up thanking my lucky stars that I was born in such a place that was more a state of mind rather than political geographical enity that it was soon to become. So when someone insults the natives it tends to strike a tender nerve with me and I'm pretty sure Eric knows it.
I can't remember many who came when I did. The first hey-day was when Mr. S. Saunders and company came in the early to mid-seventies. Mr. Dale G. was even here then. Ask Mr. Ed who the others were. My memory fails me.

Tom Smith
06-07-2013, 01:18 AM
I can't remember many who came when I did. The first hey-day was when Mr. S. Saunders and company came in the early to mid-seventies. Mr. Dale G. was even here then. Ask Mr. Ed who the others were. My memory fails me.

Those people left when things started getting sticky from all the input of those that thought they could make it better and made it worse not knowing what better was. I knew all those guys plus Ed so I don't have to ask him.

In a previous post you mentioned Tom Hudson, I didn't know him at all but a few years ago I got a message from, I think his daughter, looking for him. Since I knew nothing of him I had to tell her that, but I would keep an ear out. Now I don't have her contact information, perhaps Kelly Hardy would remember the inquiry but it has been 4 or 5 years. I think she wanted to know anything about him we might know.

kenaiboy
06-08-2013, 09:58 PM
We have no humidity up here in the panhandle and no crowds. Plenty of room and good longwinging!

sharptail
06-09-2013, 12:55 PM
What is the quarry available up there, Scott?

Yeomanfalconer
06-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Those people left when things started getting sticky from all the input of those that thought they could make it better and made it worse not knowing what better was. I knew all those guys plus Ed so I don't have to ask him.

In a previous post you mentioned Tom Hudson, I didn't know him at all but a few years ago I got a message from, I think his daughter, looking for him. Since I knew nothing of him I had to tell her that, but I would keep an ear out. Now I don't have her contact information, perhaps Kelly Hardy would remember the inquiry but it has been 4 or 5 years. I think she wanted to know anything about him we might know.
Tom was a gifted falconer, a great friend and a very screwed up individual. He would brag about having five wives and one goshawk in all those years. I feel a pull to meet his daughter as mine might have a similar experience with me. It seems like a long time ago, yet Jeff and I were just talking about him last July when we were hiking for sharp-shins.

Yeomanfalconer
06-10-2013, 09:24 PM

Did they leave or did they die?

Tom Smith
06-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Did they leave or did they die?

Weird question. You spoke of S. Sanders and Dale G. I spoke to S. the other day and Dale is on this forum sometimes. Kenny Sterner is now in Wyoming and kicking.

Yeomanfalconer
06-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Weird question. You spoke of S. Sanders and Dale G. I spoke to S. the other day and Dale is on this forum sometimes. Kenny Sterner is now in Wyoming and kicking.
Terry Heath ? Rick Holtz's wife? I know Terry Kohler has passed. Tom Hudson. Bruce Haak had one falconer from Cali die in his car while hawking(can't remember his name. John Hall.confusedd Sorry to ask a morbid question, I am just seeing more and more "Boomer" falconers passing on. Some of us have not taken real good care of our bodies. We take better care of raptors.

Tom Smith
06-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Terry Heath ? Rick Holtz's wife? I know Terry Kohler has passed. Tom Hudson. Bruce Haak had one falconer from Cali die in his car while hawking(can't remember his name. John Hall.confusedd Sorry to ask a morbid question, I am just seeing more and more "Boomer" falconers passing on. Some of us have not taken real good care of our bodies. We take better care of raptors.

Terry Heath just died a while back but he didn't leave the state because of the new wave falconry laws, he had other problems. Rich Holz's wife died because of complications of pregnancy, nothing what so ever to do with falconry, the baby lived and now has children of her own. She is a good friend of my daughters. The falconers I know that have left because things were looking to much like what they had come here to get away from left in the mid 70's and most are probably still alive. And some like Ed Pitcher have actually returned. Everyone will die at some point, I'm pretty sure, irrespective of the falconry laws.