PDA

View Full Version : Just getting a feel in northern Wisconsin.....

twintrades
07-04-2013, 01:07 PM
I havent taken the test yet. (aug 1st is the new test here) But boy boy do i have the itch..... Made a Bc trap, and repeating sparrow trap. Filling the freezer with chippies and squirrels. Going to start my mews soon. Doing TONS of reading and i think i have all the books in our area on falconry from the library's!

I found a sponsor near me finally. Been talking every 3 days to him. He flys a kestrel now and is getting merlins soon. I cant wait to take the test and get started! Wanted to do this for yrs and figured now seems like a good time!

Bryant Tarr
07-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Welcome aboard Kyle! Sounds like you have a good start. Whereabouts are you in the Northwoods and what do you hope to fly and hunt?

twintrades
07-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Im in Rhinelander. Our family owns 1740 some odd acers of land. And then there is the farmers around me. So i have the area to do it. And im Prolly going to be going with a red tail. Id like a Kestral but im thinking about the winter and what in the world i would hunt.... With a red id chase down the rabbits. Guess time will tell. For now im gathering info and supplies. Im tanning a hide soon for some buck skin. (yea im ubber handy)

Where are you from Bryant?

Bryant Tarr
07-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Oh, you can have tons of fun with a Red-tail in the Rhinelander area! I think you would be wise to fly a red-tail first anyway. You can always try a kestrel later.

I grew up in Madison and have moved many times over the years but keep ending up back in the area. I live near Reedsburg / Lyndon Station. Been a Wisconsin falconer for most of the last 32 years.

twintrades
07-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Well some day we may meet. After im lic and have a bird your more than welcome to come up and hunt with me. What do you fly?

Bryant Tarr
07-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Well some day we may meet. After im lic and have a bird your more than welcome to come up and hunt with me. What do you fly?

Sounds good! I mostly fly red-tails and goshawks at bunnies and squirrels. Will be trapping a passage red-tail again this fall most likely.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Dennis Samnee
07-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Hey Kyle,
Welcome and your in for a big journey.
You would do well to hook up with Bryant.He is a really good falconer and a master hoodmaker.Might want to think about getting a hood from him since he is close by if you have not already got one.
Good luck Kyle
Dennis Samnee in Mo.

twintrades
07-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Well ill be..... I did not know that bryant was a hood maker! Ill send ya a pm!

Bryant Tarr
07-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Hey Kyle,
Welcome and your in for a big journey.
You would do well to hook up with Bryant.He is a really good falconer and a master hoodmaker.Might want to think about getting a hood from him since he is close by if you have not already got one.
Good luck Kyle
Dennis Samnee in Mo.

You are too kind, Dennis. I am not a master at anything. And Kyle, there are LOTS of REALLY good hoodmakers here on NAFEX...do a little searching around and explore what is out there. However, if you do plan to fly a red-tail, I specialize in sort of "Old School" Anglo-Indian Style hoods that work great on these hawks. Dennis makes a mean Anglo himself!

Mine look something like this: