PDA

View Full Version : 2014 CHC/NAFA Joint Regional Meet - Topaz, NV

FredFogg
07-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Well folks, it is on! Click here (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/RegMeet.htm) to read more about the joint CHC and NAFA Regional Meet in Topaz, NV on January 15th - 18th, 2014.

California Native
07-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Well folks, it is on! Click here (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/RegMeet.htm) to read more about the joint CHC and NAFA Regional Meet in Topaz, NV on January 15th - 18th, 2014.

Fred,
Frank and Linda Ely live near the lake and lodge and Frank does a great job at putting meets together. The lodging at Topaz Lake Lodge is nice and the food at the lodge is good and reasonable in cost. There is a service station next to the lodge and the RV park is also nice. There is a lot of land to fly on both private and public. It's a beautiful setting. There a other restaurants north, south and east.

Dan

JRedig
12-13-2013, 11:45 AM
So who's going to make it out for this?

I have a chance to be in the area for work that week/weekend...

Lowachi
12-13-2013, 12:17 PM
So who's going to make it out for this?

I have a chance to be in the area for work that week/weekend...

now that's convenient ;)

JRedig
12-13-2013, 12:44 PM
And why the heck is it on a Wed-Sat...confusedd

lewsouder
12-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey Jeff, if you're going to be in the area, look me up. Might even share some duck slips! :D

Shehawker
12-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Anyone know if California or Nevada have special permit needs for bringing/hunting a raptor?

DLemieux
12-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Anyone know if California or Nevada have special permit needs for bringing/hunting a raptor?

This should help Missy. http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Documents/2014CA_NAFA_Meet_Flyer.pdf

Shehawker
12-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Darren, I did look through all the meet info I could find and didn't see anything. I'm hoping that means nothing is required :D

lewsouder
12-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi Melissa. No special permit to bring a bird into NV. Just be sure to get all the appropriate licenses depending on the game you are planning to hunt. Go to the NDOW website to buy licenses on-line.

Shehawker
12-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks Lew! Now just trying to confirm for California. The regs old and new do not mention needing any sort of vet checks just a valid falconry permit from your state. Just want to be sure.

lewsouder
12-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Nothing for CA as well. If you are flying a Gos, then you will most likely be hunting Smith Valley which is in NV. Lots of jacks, few bunnies.

WHITEGOS
12-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Hi Fred,

You coming to the meet this year? You came a few years ago I remember. I live 15 miles from the meet and will be there.

Mark
Fred,
Frank and Linda Ely live near the lake and lodge and Frank does a great job at putting meets together. The lodging at Topaz Lake Lodge is nice and the food at the lodge is good and reasonable in cost. There is a service station next to the lodge and the RV park is also nice. There is a lot of land to fly on both private and public. It's a beautiful setting. There a other restaurants north, south and east.

Dan

WHITEGOS
12-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Jeff,

The CHC meets has always been since 1975 Wed to Saturday, Sunday allows time to travel home before work on Monday.

Mark
And why the heck is it on a Wed-Sat...confusedd

FredFogg
12-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Hi Fred,

You coming to the meet this year? You came a few years ago I remember. I live 15 miles from the meet and will be there.

Mark

Hey Mark, I think you have the wrong Fred! I wish I had been to a meet out that way and I wish I could come this year but the NAFA Meet in Alamosa is the furthest west I have ever been hawking. I will make it one of these days!

goshawkr
12-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Nothing for CA as well. If you are flying a Gos, then you will most likely be hunting Smith Valley which is in NV. Lots of jacks, few bunnies.

My father in law used to live in Smith Valley. I dearly miss visiting him during the hunting season.....and harassing the Jacks in his neighborhood.

lewsouder
12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Too bad about the lack of bunnies this year. Just two seasons ago, you couldn't walk 10 yards without stepping on one! The drought conditions the last two years has really affected the population. Not good for jacks either but they seem to be more resilient...and harder to catch.

WHITEGOS
12-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi Fred,

Ok sorry, wrong guy.

Hey Mark, I think you have the wrong Fred! I wish I had been to a meet out that way and I wish I could come this year but the NAFA Meet in Alamosa is the furthest west I have ever been hawking. I will make it one of these days!

Shehawker
12-30-2013, 02:39 PM
So what is one to expect weather wise in January at Topaz?

lewsouder
12-30-2013, 04:08 PM
It has been between 40-50 degrees during the day and dropping into the teens at night for the past two weeks. I'm praying for snow!

FredFogg
12-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi Fred,

Ok sorry, wrong guy.

No problem Mark! I bet you were thinking of Fred Seaman!

Yeomanfalconer
12-30-2013, 07:53 PM
It has been between 40-50 degrees during the day and dropping into the teens at night for the past two weeks. I'm praying for snow!
Any big stock yards with Starlings and pigeons?

California Native
12-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Any big stock yards with Starlings and pigeons?

Eric,
One in Smith Valley..lots of birds around it.

Squirrelhawkin
12-30-2013, 08:44 PM
I went out to the Topaz meet in 2007 with a friend and had a blast! I wish I could make it this year. Coming from Connecticut,where just seeing 3 rabbits in one day is worth calling all your hawking buddies,the number of jacks was just insane. We saw more rabbits the 1st day than we would see in the whole season back home!!!! Not getting ripped to a bloody mess by briars was a nice touch too. Everybody we met was as nice as you could be. Dan McClurg made my trip by taking us out with his gos. She hammered a couple jacks. Flushing jacks for the Suffredini brothers eagle was a blast too. I gotta get back out there one day.

calebstroh
01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Not much chatter here...lets get some pre-meet dialoged going!

For those that have been in the area, what can we expect game and hunting wise? If someone wants to get an accipiter on some Chukar partridge I know a few spots and have bird dogs...the hiking could be intense though.

Are there any extracurricular activities that would be of interest to a group of falconers?

Many out-of-staters coming? I know there is a group of lady falconers that are getting ready for some kind of super secret shindig, can us fellas come too? How about the NAFA board and crew?

If anybody from Colorado is coming can you pick something up for me? :D

Shoot, I gotta start packing...

Saluqi
01-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Not much chatter here...lets get some pre-meet dialoged going!

For those that have been in the area, what can we expect game and hunting wise? If someone wants to get an accipiter on some Chukar partridge I know a few spots and have bird dogs...the hiking could be intense though.

Are there any extracurricular activities that would be of interest to a group of falconers?

Many out-of-staters coming? I know there is a group of lady falconers that are getting ready for some kind of super secret shindig, can us fellas come too? How about the NAFA board and crew?

If anybody from Colorado is coming can you pick something up for me? :D

Shoot, I gotta start packing...

I wish I could attend, but time and money won't allow it. Should be a super meet, I've heard it's good jack rabbit hawking, and I bet there are plenty of other game in the area.

Caleb, I'm assuming you want some genuine Colorado Coors, right? I know in Utah they only sell the 3.2 stuff, yuk!

Have fun!

DLemieux
01-13-2014, 02:30 PM
I wish I could attend, but time and money won't allow it.

Is that because of all the overtime you'll have to work from those Philippine muggers taking all of your money?toungeout You should have had Manny with you.boxinggbox2

Ricky Ortiz
01-14-2014, 02:48 AM
I'll be there chasing jacks.

Rmoglich
01-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Just a reminder for everyone, make sure whenever you are hunting you personally have permission from the landowners! Not just a "go ahead" from someone who may or may not have permission. Already had some people hunting on land that is strictly a "call first" field, this week. Many farmers in the area are generous and falconry friendly, but they do like to know who is walking their fields, so it never hurts to spend an extra 5-10 minutes to talk to them before hunting.

lewsouder
01-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Well guys and gals, now that the meet is over, does anyone want to give a review? Due to work commitments I could not hunt during the day but I did attend the banquet. I would like to hear people's take on the event, as well as the hawking.

skooky20
01-29-2014, 11:12 AM
and pics we need lots of pics