PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Matthew in Wake Village TX

talonsgrip1
02-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone:D

I'm Matthew Ransom and I live in Wake Village TX (just outside Texarkana). I'm in my second year of apprenticeship with my second sponsor and second redtail. Boy! Have I got a lot to learn.

My first sponsor was near Sedona, AZ and was almost entirely hands off Though he only lived two towns over, he was always very (too) busy to spend time with me. He flew peregrines, though I was never allowed to see him hunt with them. Begging was no use. Because of this, my falconry has mostly been forum, book and self-taught: not the best way to learn.

I moved to Wake Village Texas and ended up with no falconers on the Texas side for nearly a three hour's drive. I do have a friend and former Brewer apprentice in the next town, Alfred Johnson, who has been very helpful. Unfortunately, he's usually busy or out of town.

I've only seen Brian Baker catch game (squirrels) with a redtail. As you can see, I've had a difficult but not untraveled road as an apprentice. I've heard of others having it much worse, so I count my blessings. Long distance sponsorship sucks even in the best of times. No one can see me make bone-headed mistakes and offer a timely correction.

For anyone who doesn't know Gary Brewer. He's a great squirrel hawker (just get near him and he'll tell you so). I can't judge one way or the other, since I know little of other squirrel hawkers. This being said, Gary has a few quirks as a sponsor. I find them challenging at times.

* He will not initiate contact with any of his apprentices. They must always call him.

* He says he started squirrel hawking in the US, his ways are better than anyone elses, and he can prove it.

Though I'm in my second year, I'm really starting my first when it comes to hunting. I've only ever caught one rabbit with my last bird. I couldn't find game :( . I know now that her weigt was too high (response was terrible. I'm surprised she didn't bugger off).

Weight and response is spot on with my 38 ounce female redtail, Sunny. She may even be a bit sharp. I'll have to try her at 39 and see about her response. Now I just need to kill some squirrels and do it well and consistantly.

chamokane
02-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Welcome, Mathew.

If it was easy to get into falconry, everybody would do it and we wouldn't have anyplace left to hunt.toungeout

If the truth be known, we all still have a lot to learn. That doesn't change.

Do you see more game where you are living now?

Bodarc
02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Welcome Matthew

I'm sure Gary wasn't the first person to ever hunt squirrels with his bird but he WAS very instrumental in getting it accepted as a viable game animal for red-tails. Through his books, articles and speeches, he has done more than anyone I can think of to introduce squirrel hunting to falconers.

If you ever attend one of his seminars, you'll hear one of the most interesting talks your likely to find. Personally, I found him very friendly and even going out of his way to greet and talk with anyone who approached him.

If he ever does tell you anything, you would be wise to consider it very long, even if you wind up doing it a different way. You'll prob be a little smarter to keep a few of your thoughts to yourself instead of blabbing all over the internet when you just admitted you don't know what you are doing. Some people have earned their respect.......see if you can't earn yours.

thumbsupp

robhawkyyz
02-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Good to have you here... east Tx. huh? a lot of pine trees full of squirells. stomp'em!!! You will learn a lot from hands on experience. "fly low and beat the radar"... have fun!!!

everetkhorton
02-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Matthew:
(welc)aboard! Sqr. hunting is a ball, I took my first sqr. in 1975. It was fun then and is fun now. Post often and have fun.

wesleyc6
02-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Glad to have you on board. I can't help you with the squirrels, but if you ever want to ride out near Lubbock, TX, I can show you a bunny.

Most people know I started bunny hawking in the US and assume my ways to be best.

Ducking for cover!!!!:eek:

robhawkyyz
02-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Matthew:
(welc)aboard! Sqr. hunting is a ball, I took my first sqr. in 1975. It was fun then and is fun now. Post often and have fun.

1975 !!! ? and he is stll kick'in? the squirrels in the butt that is.LOL

wesleyc6
02-16-2008, 10:21 PM
1975 !!! ? and he is stll kick'in? the squirrels in the butt that is.LOL

Odds are the squirrel he killed was older than metoungeout

everetkhorton
02-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Glad to have you on board. I can't help you with the squirrels, but if you ever want to ride out near Lubbock, TX, I can show you a bunny.

Most people know I started bunny hawking in the US and assume my ways to be best.

Ducking for cover!!!!:eek:

Chris:
An old friend and falconer once told me,"ten miles from home everyone is an expert". Now you can duck box2or beeerdrink

robhawkyyz
02-16-2008, 10:28 PM
that's because Ev is gettin' slow...

chamokane
02-16-2008, 11:16 PM

Wes,
Can I get an autographed copy of your book?

wesleyc6
02-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Wes,
Can I get an autographed copy of your book?

It will be a real short book confusedd

Lunaries
02-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi, there! Welcome. I think I might have gone through Wake Village a time or two; I lived in Commerce (not TOO far away from Texarkana) for a couple years a while back.

outhawkn
02-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Matthew

Glad to see you made the leap. Lots of squirrels on here,er,uh I mean squirrel hawkers.................toungeout

Have fun and post often. You'll get a lot of good help

Bryant Tarr
02-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Mathew, welcome aboard! There's lots of good people here willing to share experiences. (welc)

FredFogg
02-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey Matt,

Welcome to the forum! The only thing I know about squirrel hawking is I like to watch my red-tail catch them! LOL

Chris L.
02-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Matt,
welcome to NAFEX.. we have a great group here. We also have many sqr. hawkers here. So ask away

good luck

again Welcome

kenbro77
02-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Welcome matthew, glad to see you join the forum. I got to hunt squirrels with Manney, one of Gary's apprentices at the THA meet. I too hunt squirrels and try to copy Gary's style. Once again ... welcome.

jfneumann57
02-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I hunted squirrels the past 3 years but no where near and expert. Welcome to the forum.