PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Spotted in Maryland

zx2run
08-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Just figured I would pass this through the grapevine.

There have been reports of a falconry bird frequenting the area of Wabash Drive (in the neighborhood of "Cool Spring") in Bel Air, MD.

The bird was first reported seen in a backyard on Thursday.

To me...it appears to be a passage Red-Shouldered Hawk.

I have a contact number if anyone has information.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/zx2un/IMG957599_zpsc1597471.jpg

Ken S.
08-03-2013, 02:41 PM
No idea who's that would be in this area. It's just across the river, probably a half hour or more from me. Maybe I'll grab a pigeon and head over that way this afternoon when my son gets up from his nap if I can.

sevristh
08-03-2013, 05:10 PM
It does look like a passage red-shoulder. Which means the hapless falconer that mistakenly tried to train it was probably in such a hurry to get rid of it once it started screeching that he/she forgot to take the equipment off before they tossed it out the door! :D

zx2run
08-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Did you end up driving around the area this afternoon Ken? Any luck?

Ken S.
08-03-2013, 08:37 PM
The bird was recovered, hope to find the owner asap. It came down to my lure with a quail tied to it and I was able to make in and grab a jess. I was told it landed on a guys arm earlier in the day to eat some steak... so it's probably a good thing I went over there. Aother falconer was there and a bunch of people from the neighborhood, etc. It was more audience than I like but went pretty smoothly.

Dirthawking
08-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Good to hear! Any leads on the owner?

zx2run
08-03-2013, 08:52 PM
The bird was recovered, hope to find the owner asap. It came down to my lure with a quail tied to it and I was able to make in and grab a jess. I was told it landed on a guys arm earlier in the day to eat some steak... so it's probably a good thing I went over there. Aother falconer was there and a bunch of people from the neighborhood, etc. It was more audience than I like but went pretty smoothly.

Great to hear! Hopefully the owner will be found soon. Keep us updated.

Breeze
08-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Excellent news, Ken! Hope the bird and owner are reunited quickly! Will watch this thread, to see how this turns out. Great work, in getting the bird!

Red-tail71
08-04-2013, 07:32 AM

Thanks Ken! Great job brother!clapp

lxlMurdoclxl
08-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Ken,

Any luck finding the owner of that red shoulder? Lost at a tame hack?

sakerjack
08-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Good job Kenny!!

MD Hawkman
08-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Way to go Ken ! Kudos
amennn

zx2run
09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Any news on this bird? Was the owner ever found?