PDA

View Full Version : New here

Zarafia
02-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Hello there. Just found this forum today and thought I'd take a look. It's kind of nice to have a forum for people over here.
Anyway, I trapped my first redtail in 1996 a second in 1997 and bought a lanner falcon in 1997 also. Had the lanner till 2003 and went four years birdless. I got an imprint sakret last fall and was training him to fly at crows when just a month ago I lost him when his heart burst while lureflying. He was an awesome guy. A friend of a friend heard of my loss and offered me a retired breeder of his. She is a twenty year old saker falcon and I hope to learn about courtship from her. I had origionally had hopes of lureflying her, but that may not become a reality. I don't want to push her as she is such an old lady.
I am very interested in sakers and plan on getting another teircel to imprint and fly this year, with long term hopes of breeding sakers in the future.
If anyone has an unwanted saker please pm me, I'm hoping to learn as much about the species as possible and there is no better way than keeping and caring for and working with the birds themselves.

Chris L.
02-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Welcome to NAFEX. Sorry to hear about your saker. It sounds like they are your passion for sure. Good luck with the breeding. I would be interested in seeing how it goes.

Please dont hesitate to post as we all are a friendly group.

oh yeah, Can you please sign all your posts with your real name. It is best to just put it in your signature in your 'user cp"

let us know if you need anything

again welcome

Zarafia
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you. Oh and by the way, I am in Florida just outside Gainesville.
I've been fascinated by sakers for quite some time now. Actually when I got the lanner I really wanted a saker but couldn't quite afford one. So I went with their closest (and cheaper) relative.
Sorry about the name thing, it never even occured to me.
Thanks,
Meridith Manning

chamokane
02-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Welcome, Meridith. I've only flown one Saker, and that was at a bird abatement job. She seemed like she could stoop the lure forever.

everetkhorton
02-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Meridith:
(welc)aboard! Please post often and have fun. Photo's are always welcome also. Avators are also welcome.

Zarafia
02-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanx for all the welcomes. I'm afraid that posting photos has been very hard for me to learn. So far I have not been sucsessful.
My sakret Tupac had a super personality and was fun to fly. I'm not very good at lureswinging, but I'm better than I was because of him. Trying to increase the number of passes he made was challenging because he was so quick and agile, I had trouble keeping it away from him. And that bird could maintain his weight just by looking at quail once a day. I rember with awe the way he could flip himself around in flight. I swear he could nearly fly upside-down.
I really miss him, but I know he enjoyed his life thoroughly, and he died instantly in full flight, doing what he liked most, getting ready to steal my lure.

Thanx,
Meridith

Rudd
02-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Tupac?

sharptail
02-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Welcome Meridith!

outhawkn
02-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Hello Meridith, glad to see you on this side of the pond.

(welc)

goshawks00
02-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Glad to see you here Meridith, hope you enjoy your stay ...
Barry

Zarafia
02-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi Bill, its good to be here. I didnt even realise that this was here till yesterday.
To those of you wondering, Tupac was the sakret I trained last year. He got his name from the young man who hand raised him and when he started flying he called him back with his name so he knew it well.
I really am very happy to have found a forum thats mostly folks from this side of the pond. Not that I have anything against Europeans, but there is so much on the Internationational site that just doesn't apply here. I once got scolded for posting information on keeping your birds safe from cats and dogsfrus.

Thanx,
Meridith

outhawkn
02-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi Bill, its good to be here. I didnt even realise that this was here till yesterday.
To those of you wondering, Tupac was the sakret I trained last year. He got his name from the young man who hand raised him and when he started flying he called him back with his name so he knew it well.
I really am very happy to have found a forum thats mostly folks from this side of the pond. Not that I have anything against Europeans, but there is so much on the Internationational site that just doesn't apply here. I once got scolded for posting information on keeping your birds safe from cats and dogsfrus.

Thanx,
Meridith

I should of said something.......................

If its not too hard, I'm sure some folks on here would be interested in what happened to you bird. Its a rather unusual situation.. If you dont want to thats K.
Still glad your here.

Zarafia
02-18-2008, 02:03 PM
No problem. I will start a thread in the longwings section. Its easier, just having another bird in the house, to remember Tupac with joy.
I have a lot of exploring to do here. Last night I read a super thread here about making an AI hat. So much information so little mind I mean time.

Thanx,
Mere