PDA

View Full Version : Eagle enthusiast from Texas

Lampropeltis
08-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Hello all!

While I may be new to this board, I am not new to raptors or eagles. I have about 10 years of experience training various eagle species and about 12 years of experience with raptors in general. I started in 98 at a fairly well known raptor center while I was in college. I was associate with (and even employed by) them for about 6 years. I was lucky enough to work with many bald and golden eagles while working with said center. Along with eagles I was lucky enough to get to train peregrine, lanner and saker falcons; merlins and kestrels; broad winged hawks, red shouldered, red-tailed (of course - one of my absolute favorites even if they are a dime a dozen :D), and even a (misimprinted) coopers hawk; black vultures and turkey vultures; the standard array of north american owls (GHOW, BNOW, BDOW, EASO). I have also worked at several zoos in the US. My experience at zoos includes working with condors, bateleurs, white backed vultures, lappet faced vultures, ornate hawk-eagles, african fish eagles, and the great harpy eagle. I've been fortunate enough to glove train bateleurs, african fish eagles and harpy eagles. I have developed a very distinct appreciation for all raptors, but as you can probably tell, I definitely love large eagles. I would say my dream scenario would be to run a facility that displays and breeds all of the worlds large eagle species and works to provide North American zoos with these animals. I definitely believe that there are not enough eagles represented in zoos. I look forward to getting to know people here and look forward to great conversations.

Lampropeltis
08-20-2013, 01:24 PM
forgot to add my sig - sorry!

Erik.

eminart
08-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Welcome!

And tell me how I can get an ornate hawk-eagle. ;)

Lampropeltis
08-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks eminart. Dallas world aquarium. Be ready to shell out some cash though ;)

Keith Denman
08-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Hi Eric

I just got back from S Africa where I had the pleasure of working with Black eagle, African Hawk eagle and various forms of falcons and other raptors. I too have a long history of working with large birds and love the eagles. What part of Texas are you in?

Lampropeltis
08-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Hey Kieth

Lucky you! I love verreaux's eagles. I hope to work with one (heck even see one) someday. There are a few black eagle breeders in Europe, hopefully we'll have some breeding here someday - not sure why there are no specimens in AZA zoos but they sure would be a handsome addition to any collection. Btw, im in hill country - kinda all over it these days. What part are you in?