PDA

View Full Version : Hello! From Henderson NV

Raymond Mason
08-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Raymond Mason and I am extremely interested in falconry. I don't currently at the time have a raptor of my own; however I am planing on getting into falconry whenever I can.

At the moment I am living in a sub town of Las Vegas. We have all kinds of desert critters around here. Once in a while I will see a hawk start making a circle and patrol an area. I really don't think I can take my raptor on regular hunts at the moment so that is what is stalling me for the time being. Since I know raptors need to be feed full animals that they would catch in the wild naturally everyday I thought about something; do you guys usually hunt and gather as much game as possible to last the raptor until the next weekend hunting? I think I am going to go that route.

I have a lot to learn, and I do not consider raptors as pets; I like to call them "Hunting Partners". I consider it a prilivage to be a part of their hunting activities. I hope to get to know you guys better and hopefully learn along the way. :)

woodsrider65
08-22-2013, 10:05 PM
(welc) to NAFEX!!

Enjoy the chaos.......;)

Ally
08-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Welcome Ray! Sounds like you have an idea about the time commitment required, and good on you for waiting until the right time.
I think you'll find a lot of the answers to your questions as you browse through these forums. There's a nice search feature that will pick out key words as well.

As far as feeding goes, some people can take enough game during the season to fill the freezer to feed their hawks. This is a little harder during the summer moult when your bird isn't hunting. You can also buy frozen food at websites like http://www.rodentpro.com or http://www.mikedupuyhawkfood.com
Another option is to trap food (sparrows, etc.), and finally, you can choose to raise food (rats, quail, etc.), similar to the way some snake keepers do. So you see, there are a lot of options. The only option you WON'T really find is to run down to the pet store and buy a bag of hawk food. :P
Good luck in your endeavors, welcome to our crazy world!

Breeze
08-23-2013, 02:10 PM
(welc) Raymond! Enjoy the learning process, this is too much fun!

Raymond Mason
08-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Welcome Ray! Sounds like you have an idea about the time commitment required, and good on you for waiting until the right time.
I think you'll find a lot of the answers to your questions as you browse through these forums. There's a nice search feature that will pick out key words as well.

As far as feeding goes, some people can take enough game during the season to fill the freezer to feed their hawks. This is a little harder during the summer moult when your bird isn't hunting. You can also buy frozen food at websites like http://www.rodentpro.com or http://www.mikedupuyhawkfood.com
Another option is to trap food (sparrows, etc.), and finally, you can choose to raise food (rats, quail, etc.), similar to the way some snake keepers do. So you see, there are a lot of options. The only option you WON'T really find is to run down to the pet store and buy a bag of hawk food. :P
Good luck in your endeavors, welcome to our crazy world!

Why thank you! I was thinking about just taking my rifle and go small game hunting. My hawk would be kept at home for the time I was out so I don't have to worry about it so much. The purpose was to gather enough food for it. Then try to keep it up with hunting with my hawk. :)

I contacted my local wildlife department and they are going to send me a list of falconers in my local area. Excited! :D

Ally
08-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Sounds like it :)
Just one word of caution with shooting game animals--raptors are extremely sensitive, and lead poisoning is a HUGE concern when you're using bullets. Steel shot is your safest bet, but if you're using a rifle, a clean head shot and then removing the head is one of the only safe way to go.
Good luck!

Tom Smith
08-25-2013, 11:21 AM
I may be a little behind these days but is falconry even going to be legal in Nevada after the first of the year?

Raymond Mason
08-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I may be a little behind these days but is falconry even going to be legal in Nevada after the first of the year?

Hmm..Well the when I called the lady at the wildlife department she never mentioned this. I feel sorry for those people who started their falconry training here now. Either they have to move, or surrender their tags/falcon.

We won't be moving for another five years or so. I really, really hope no other states start following this trend of making falconry illegal. confusedd

I didn't think about lead poisoning, then again I have never hunted in my life.

Tom Smith
08-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Hmm..Well the when I called the lady at the wildlife department she never mentioned this. I feel sorry for those people who started their falconry training here now. Either they have to move, or surrender their tags/falcon.

We won't be moving for another five years or so. I really, really hope no other states start following this trend of making falconry illegal. confusedd

I didn't think about lead poisoning, then again I have never hunted in my life.

Well my post was kind of a question for those that know about how the falconry rewrite was going in Nevada. It has been kind of iffy and I was tentatively planning on moving to northern Nevada, just waiting for the verdict. I have heard that there are some areas there that are a falconers paradise. It would be a shame to lose it.

Another lesson for you: Sometimes the lady in the office doesn't know exactly what is going on, she is just trying to do her job as instructed.

harrishawker1
08-25-2013, 07:12 PM
RE; TOM

YES falconry is going to be legal here in Nevada,
Cory has confirmed that our Nv paperwork is in George Allens hands and will be ready.

Raymond Mason
08-25-2013, 07:35 PM
RE; TOM

Cory has confirmed that our Nv paperwork is in George Allens hands and will be ready.

Wow! That is great news to hear. So it is not going to be illegal? Yaaay! You made my day so much better. I was so bummed out, you gave me new hope. haill

Can you guys recommend some books I should start off reading? I got to kind of concentrate on becoming a electrician before becoming a falconer so I can support the sport. This beats golf by a long shot! :D

harrishawker1
08-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Ray
Contact Oscar Ruiz
he lives in Henderson and helps new wanna be falconers.

Raymond Mason
08-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Thanks Harris! I am gonna give him a call tomorrow. ^_^

Tom Smith
08-26-2013, 12:43 AM
RE; TOM

Hi Vinnie, that is good news, thanks.

harrishawker1
08-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Hi Tom
Its been a while since we chatted.
But anyways , yes it took long enough.

Tom Smith
08-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Hi Tom
Its been a while since we chatted.
But anyways , yes it took long enough.

Yes Vinnie, How have you been? Have you had the chance to look at your new regs (pending) and how do they look?