PDA

View Full Version : New Falconer in Minnesota

Redgos15
10-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Hello all, my name is Randy Burington. I have been around falconry for my whole life because my dad had a female redtail. When I started life on my own I worked in Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, and Iowa. Now that I have settled after 20 years of moving in Cotton Minnesota which is between Duluth and Virginia. I trapped a male red tail 15 miles from my house after putting 2200 miles driving around southern Minnesota because that's where I have always seen them. On August 30th the male finally was caught. We had 5 different hawks hit the trap but never were caught in the nooses. The first day he was eating tidbits from me. The third day he was flying to me. After I noticed the mutes didn't look quite right I brought him to the raptor center at the University of Minnesota where he had high bacteria, lots of parasites the traing took a back seat for about 14 days while the meds worked. Now he is flying 150-180 feet to me all over my yard. My family thought Henry was a fitting name after a dearly departed family member. Hiram was my first choice (I am also a mason) but I agreed to honor Henry. His attitude after the medicine changed and he became very aggressive, good quality in my newbie opinion. He goes after the squirrels and chipmunks around my yard in the deep woods. I know they normally hunt rabbits but he has taken a liking to the birds around here so hopefully he will get some of the plentiful grouse around here. So if anyone has a good training for redtails on ruffed grouse I am open to learning new things.

qball
10-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Hello all, my name is Randy Burington. I have been around falconry for my whole life because my dad had a female redtail. When I started life on my own I worked in Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, and Iowa. Now that I have settled after 20 years of moving in Cotton Minnesota which is between Duluth and Virginia. I trapped a male red tail 15 miles from my house after putting 2200 miles driving around southern Minnesota because that's where I have always seen them. On August 30th the male finally was caught. We had 5 different hawks hit the trap but never were caught in the nooses. The first day he was eating tidbits from me. The third day he was flying to me. After I noticed the mutes didn't look quite right I brought him to the raptor center at the University of Minnesota where he had high bacteria, lots of parasites the traing took a back seat for about 14 days while the meds worked. Now he is flying 150-180 feet to me all over my yard. My family thought Henry was a fitting name after a dearly departed family member. Hiram was my first choice (I am also a mason) but I agreed to honor Henry. His attitude after the medicine changed and he became very aggressive, good quality in my newbie opinion. He goes after the squirrels and chipmunks around my yard in the deep woods. I know they normally hunt rabbits but he has taken a liking to the birds around here so hopefully he will get some of the plentiful grouse around here. So if anyone has a good training for redtails on ruffed grouse I am open to learning new things.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for an RT on grouse. They have already adapted to evade goshawks and the cover is generally just too heavy for a RT to maneuver. I seem to recall a guy up that way that caught one or two some time ago, but I might be mistaken (may have been a gos).

I think your time would be better spent on snowshoe hares and there are some guys in the Duluth area that have some experience there. I think it would be much more rewarding for your effort, but good luck on the grouse...post pics if you get one.