PDA

View Full Version : New Member

tacatanach
02-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey guys, i recognize many of you from IFF, but for those who don't know me I'm Therese. I'm currently in grad school at Texas A&M studying insect systematics/taxonomy (subspecies users beware). I fly a tiercel peregrine (imprint) and a female American kestrel (hag). Previously I've flown a tiercel gyr x pere x merlin and a female RT.

kimmerar
02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
(welc) Theresa. Good to have you here. We love pictures also.

clapp Yeah - more kbird flyers are showing up.

I'm kind of a bug person myself - I've got praying mantis eggs in the frig so my daughter can see the process. I will be pulling them out any time. I also kept giant prickly walking sticks for a while also. When the eggs hatched they looked like little red ants running around real fast. Someday I want to try the giant rolly pollies from Madagascar. The green ones. Last I heard (5 years ago) people were not having much success with them.

Bodarc
02-24-2008, 04:30 PM
(welc) Therese

pandios
02-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Howdy fellow aggie

tacatanach
02-24-2008, 04:55 PM
(welc) Theresa. Good to have you here. We love pictures also.

clapp Yeah - more kbird flyers are showing up.

I'm kind of a bug person myself - I've got praying mantis eggs in the frig so my daughter can see the process. I will be pulling them out any time. I also kept giant prickly walking sticks for a while also. When the eggs hatched they looked like little red ants running around real fast. Someday I want to try the giant rolly pollies from Madagascar. The green ones. Last I heard (5 years ago) people were not having much success with them.

I'm a picture taking fiend when my cameras not broken. The avitar picture is of my tiercel a few months ago, and here are a couple of my birds.

Bugs rock, although I prefer my bugs dead or in the process of dying:D What can i say 1 bug in the drawer beats 100 in the bush. I have kept some beetles and madagascar hissing cocroaches as pets. Not to mention the giant belostomatid i had for a while. She was pretty cool, ate goldfish.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/tacatanach/cal2.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/tacatanach/IMGP1158.jpghttp://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/tacatanach/IMGP0380.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/tacatanach/IMGP1086.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/tacatanach/IMGP1094.jpg

everetkhorton
02-24-2008, 06:11 PM
(welc)to the site, we need a name to go along with those nice pictures. Go to the CP to find out how to do in automatically. Have fun!

chamokane
02-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Welcome, Therese. How is your Peregrine doing. I have an imprint Tiercel also.

Eagle Owl
02-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Welcome Therese!

Zarafia
02-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Welcome Therese (welc). I was just thinking about you today while I was reading a kestrel thread. You should check it out.

tacatanach
02-25-2008, 12:50 AM
(welc)to the site, we need a name to go along with those nice pictures. Go to the CP to find out how to do in automatically. Have fun!

Thanks for the welcome guys

The CP kept telling me my signature had to be less than 2 lines long and wouldnt fit with the signature ive arleady got. But if it helps my username is just my 1st 2 initals and last name.

chamokane: he did ok, i had a heck of a time getting him to go up consistantly, but we finally got it together after the NAFA meet. The ducks took forever to show up this far south, and the ones that were here were on huge water since we had a really wet summer/fall so his kills as of yet are limited to baggie pigeons (and some incidental insects). As expected the big duck numbers showed up after I left the country (the one issue with systematics and falconry is I spend a couple months out of the country every year and since my group is in South America often its right after christmas, which is why after this coming sesaon I'm planning on manipulating the molt so I can fly from July through December). I got back to the states with only two weeks left in duck season so rather than crash him and risk starting him screaming I just decided to put him up for the molt. Hes dropping down like crazy and is chupping up a storm.

Zarafia: i did see the kes thread, looks interesting. There appear to be a number of AK hawkers here, always a good thingrockon.

Zarafia
02-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Therese, you can call me Meridith here. It seems that everybodys on a first-name basis here. It took me a little while to get used to it, but it's nice.

chris kimble
02-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Welcome Therese, glad to see you over here!

Chris L.
02-25-2008, 11:49 AM
The CP kept telling me my signature had to be less than 2 lines long and wouldnt fit with the signature ive arleady got. But if it helps my username is just my 1st 2 initals and last name.

Welcome to NAFEX.. I took care of your signature for you thumbsupp. I hope you enjoy the forums we are a great group and enjoy everything falconry.

Looking forward to your posts. How is your season with the K-bird?

I'm a picture taking fiend when my cameras not broken.

your gonna fit right in then photoo

again (welc)

tacatanach
02-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Welcome to NAFEX.. I took care of your signature for you thumbsupp. I hope you enjoy the forums we are a great group and enjoy everything falconry.

Looking forward to your posts. How is your season with the K-bird?

Thanks for fixing it. the AK is progressing slowly. No kills yet (well excluding a dandilion she caught and destroyed yesterday), but we're getting close. She gets the day off today since I had a test, but hopefully tomorrow it will all come together.

your gonna fit right in then photoo

again (welc)

The important phrase to consider is when its not broken. Im super hard on cameras, tend to go break them within 6 months of purchases and considering im a grad student it takes another 6 months before i can buy a camera again. I'm currently between cameras:(

But hopefully i can borrow my sisters occasinally.

kenbro77
02-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Welcome Therese, I am sure you will enjoy this board, good group of falconers. More and more of us Texans joining.