PDA

View Full Version : Isaac

Takasho
12-08-2006, 04:54 AM
Hi guys,

My name is Isaac, I'm flying a male Harris hawk in Japan. I know it's the "North American Falconers' Exchange" but I'll be back in the States in about 8 months. :lol: I've probably read a bunch of posts from most people on one list or another but don't write much so many of you may not know me. I hope to be able to post more often on this forum and get to know you all better. Happy hawking!

-Isaac

Jimmy
12-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Isaac.
I've "seen you around". Good to see ya again.

wesleyc6
12-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Good to see you here Isaac. Are HH's popular in Japan? Ready to be back in the states?

`Chris L.
12-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi guys,

My name is Isaac, I'm flying a male Harris hawk in Japan. I know it's the "North American Falconers' Exchange" but I'll be back in the States in about 8 months. :lol: I've probably read a bunch of posts from most people on one list or another but don't write much so many of you may not know me. I hope to be able to post more often on this forum and get to know you all better. Happy hawking!

-Isaac

Isaac, Glad you joined the board. I know the board says north american excahnge but it is not just limited to those in north america... I created the forum for all falconers world wide.

What type of game are you flying your harris at in Japan. Is falconry big in Japan?

I hope you come to the forum often.. again please consider this forum open to all ... not just NA falconers

Chris

Takasho
12-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys,

To answer a couple questions:

Harris hawks are gaining popularity in Japan like everywhere else. Unfortunately there just aren't many people that fly at game. Lots and lots of pets. A lot of those that do fly at game are traditionalists who think a goshawk is the only bird that can catch things...I'm working hard to prove them wrong! :D

And yes, I'm more than ready to be back in the States! With urban sprawl out of control there just isn't much game around here. I'm having an awfully hard time putting stuff up for my Harris.

Most people hunt ducks but we also have pheasants, small herons, moorhen, bunnies in some areas (not mine), and assorted dicky birds. Lots of feather, hardly any fur.

Again, thanks for the welcome! Happy hawking!

wesleyc6
12-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey Isaac,
Now that I think about it, didn't you have a spar or something like that? Did you get it going well?

Takasho
12-11-2006, 04:02 AM
Sorry, I was out hawking all weekend so couldn't reply. 8)

I had a spar until the beginning of this year. Lost her to asper (I think, no autopsy so I'll never know for sure). She caught a couple pigeons but I really didn't do her justice. Fun bird when she was on thou, her first pigeon was about the coolest flight I've ever seen. Flushed a flock of about 20 pigeons from about 20 yards away. She flew right up the middle and smacked a young bird but couldn't hold on. The pigeon took off and she did a 180 mid-air and turned on the afterburners. They disappeared around the corner of a building and I found her with the pigeon 15 yards later. 8)

Having a bit of trouble getting the Harris started this year. We've only caught a small heron and game is awful hard to come by but we're keeping at it and I hope to be able to add some cool stories as the season progresses.