PDA

View Full Version : Murphy

tescobedo
01-26-2007, 08:14 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/tescobedo/MurphyFeedingonLure.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/tescobedo/MurphyFeedingonLure5.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/tescobedo/MurphywithScoutTransmitteronBackpac.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/tescobedo/MurphywithScoutTransmitteronBack-1.jpg[/img]

`Chris L.
01-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Tony,
Nice looking coops my friend [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] .. Her tail looks great. Love he back pack mount.

I will give you a call this weekend

Jimmy
01-26-2007, 09:15 PM
How do you have the tail bell attached?

`Chris L.
01-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Tony, I may have asked you this.. but I forgot.. are you using a tail protector. I have mixed feelings about it. My coops tail looks great so far but I have not had her in the field and that is where I heard you loose em.

Hey, I had a ol' coops flier tell me to imp them with Harris feathers... he said she will look funny but her tail will be as stong as steel. [smilie=eusa_think.gif] That is how he used to fly his...

Jimmy
01-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Chris,
I'll show you a great way to protect her tail in the field, using a simple hair clip. They work great as a temporary tail guard while the bird feeds, or while on a kill.

`Chris L.
01-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Do you have a pic of the set up?.. like to see that for sure

tescobedo
01-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Tony, I may have asked you this.. but I forgot.. are you using a tail protector. I have mixed feelings about it. My coops tail looks great so far but I have not had her in the field and that is where I heard you loose em.

Hey, I had a ol' coops flier tell me to imp them with Harris feathers... he said she will look funny but her tail will be as stong as steel. [smilie=eusa_think.gif] That is how he used to fly his...

Chris,

I've got both a tail protector and the hair clip Jimmy mentioned. However, I'm not using either right now. If I can get Murphy comforable with me while she's on the ground eating I can better determined how she protects her feathers. Obviously when she's in yarak and on game she'll be careless.

I think I prefer the hair clip more. The transition from assisting to placing the hair clip on the bird is very efficient and easy.

tescobedo
01-27-2007, 09:20 AM
How do you have the tail bell attached?

Jimmy,

Ive got the tail bell zip tied to a tail clip. I'd really like to have had a setup I saw that was carbon fiber and allowed for both bell and transmitter/tail protector to be attached on the two deck feathers.

`Chris L.
01-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Chris,

I've got both a tail protector and the hair clip Jimmy mentioned. However, I'm not using either right now. If I can get Murphy comforable with me while she's on the ground eating I can better determined how she protects her feathers.

Tony, Yeah Nacho does not like my ungloved hand to be around her.. She gets very jumpy.. She does not mind me making in at all, especially my gloved hand, but if I start to come near her with my ungloved hand (right) she gets very nervouse. [smilie=dontknow.gif] I am trying to work on her with that so we will see.

Jimmy
01-27-2007, 05:59 PM
[quote=Jimmy] I'd really like to have had a setup I saw that was carbon fiber and allowed for both bell and transmitter/tail protector to be attached on the two deck feathers.

I've got one of those. Actually, I have several. Some are plastic, and one is carbon fiber. [smilie=smileys13.gif]

tescobedo
01-27-2007, 06:10 PM
[quote=Jimmy] I'd really like to have had a setup I saw that was carbon fiber and allowed for both bell and transmitter/tail protector to be attached on the two deck feathers.

I've got one of those. Actually, I have several. Some are plastic, and one is carbon fiber. [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Any chance I could convince you to part with one for a nominal fee?

Jimmy
01-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Is this what you're talking about? The carbon fiber is on the left. The one on the right is the one you helped put on my gos. That's a quarter for comparison.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/cuda67bnl/100_0325.jpg

tescobedo
01-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Is this what you're talking about? The carbon fiber is on the left. The one on the right is the one you helped put on my gos. That's a quarter for comparison.

Jimmy,

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Jimmy
01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
You're welcome to use either one of these. Give me a ring, and I'll drop it in the mail. If you have a spare tailmount of the regular design, you can make one using a piece of leather for the plectrum. Works just as well, and allows a little more give, since the plectrum will 'bend' a little. Make sense? I've not used a leather one yet, but some foreign friends swear they're better than the stiff ones. There's also an easier way to attach them, than the way I did so on the gos. Give me a ring at home.

falconer_39
01-28-2007, 12:52 PM
hey guys
of all my coops I have flown i have had no tail feathers broke. I think it is because in the field I use long p-cord jesses and they are long enough when she is sitting on the fist to go past the end of her tail about three inches that way her tail dont come in contact with the swivel if you use leather it is wide enough to let her tail get bent up. all it takes is just a little bend and it will weakens the feather. the round p-cord if she bates or steps back will slip between the tail feather were the leather will get hung up at the end off the feathers and thats what does the damage
just my 2 cents worth
David

Jimmy
01-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Do you have a pic of the set up?.. like to see that for sure

It's nothing more than a duckbilled hairclip, that's bent a little. Here's a pic that shows a normal one, and the modified version. Just pull the tail together, and put the clip on. It'll hold all the feathers together. The one in the pic isn't bent perfectly, but you should be able to get the idea.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q121/cuda67bnl/100_0329.jpg

`Chris L.
01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
very nice and easy.. i like it jimmy.. thanks [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

wesleyc6
01-30-2007, 10:21 AM
I have always wondered how just a strip of velcro would work that wraps around and hooks to itself. Just on the kill. When you pick the bird up, you could slide it right off. I didn't use anything on my coop and her tail stayed nice, but I only hawked her a short while. We killed multiples daily for a few weeks though.

Jimmy
01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Anything that holds the tail together will help. The original owner of my male gos used velcro. He had a very small piece of it glued to a deck feather. He then used a thin strip to wrap the tail with. Worked for him.

Takasho
02-01-2007, 03:50 AM
Hey guys,

My buddy here in Japan is the guy who makes and sells the carbon fiber plates to Western Sporting (I assume that's where you got it?). He's got a smaller one, about the size of a nickle, that may work better with the smaller birds. I hooked Lee on here up with one of the smaller ones, maybe he can say how he likes it?

We're in the process of getting a shipment of the smaller ones out to Western right now but if you're in hurry I may be able to get one to you earlier than Western. I'd have to check with my buddy, so no promises but if you're interested let me know...otherwise, keep your eye out in the Western catalogue. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]