PDA

View Full Version : Patience, a frustrating virtue

K-Horn
12-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Hey all. I have been on this forum for some time now, just not very active. I read as much as I can here.....of which there is a ton of valuable information. For those who haven't seen my few posts, I will fill you in. My wife and I have been long time admirars of this beautiful sport. However, I am active duty Air Force and we live on base. With the frequent deployments and current living situation (tiny back yard) we decided to hold off on starting our apprenticeships until we were able to dedicate more time and space to the sport. With that being said, I have about 1 1/2 years (612 days.....but who's counting) left in my military career. So now we have started back at the research, equipment collection, etc. I do have a deployment coming up so it will be nice to have something to read about during the little downtime I will have. Research has been a double-edged sword for me though. I thoroughly enjoy learning about this sport, the equipment, history and the different species of raptors used. However, the more I read the less patience I have. If find myself trying to justify a way to start sooner.....then try to talk myself out of it based on logic. It is a real tug-o-war between my mind and my heart. So, wish me luck all in the never ending battle of patience! I am sure some of you can relate.

Peanut789
12-18-2013, 04:37 PM
i appreciate you serving in the military and protecting or freedom God blessyou

i know how you feel, i am in miami florida and i havent even come close in finding anyone here that is in to falconry and you figure we have so much open fields down here to hunt .

Mornblade23@yahoo.com
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Wow I admire the patience. I had to put a hold on falconry for years due to secondary education and the nature of my past career. I'm finally in a place in my life where I'm working on getting back into the sport. Falconry is one of the rare arts in this world that you really never leave behind. Take heart...It will be waiting for you when you are in a more suitable situation. In the mean time join the clubs and organizations that help further falconry.

K-Horn
12-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys for the support and words of encouragement! I would love to get out there with some local clubs and falconers but working 70+ hours a week right now puts a real damper on things. As far as equipment, have already started gathering some and started looking at the DIY section for making things like jesses, perches and leashes......gonna be fun!

sharptail
12-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I didn't wait, I started when I was 14(1968). You could say that Falconry has taught a thing or 2 about patients, but every year it is a struggle to be as patient as my style of sport requires. I can remember many times over the years when I was exceedingly patient, but most years I take just one step too many and end up flushing birds when my falcon is out of position. Falconry is self renewing when it comes to lost patients.

All the best