PDA

View Full Version : NJ Winter Meet Jan. 24 -25, 2014

joekoz
12-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Those of you who attended the New Jersey Falconry Club’s Winter Meet last year, and attended other meets in our area including the Regional NAFA Meet, know that without question it resulted in more game taken per day per falconer than any other meet in our area.

Because of the high level of bunnies everyone encountered last year, as well as the other game available in the area, we decided to hold this year’s meet at the same location.

You can find information about this year’s meet, as well as register on-line for the meet by visiting our club’s website. http://newjerseyfalconryclub.com/?page_id=850 (http://newjerseyfalconryclub.com/?page_id=850)

Note: FYI for out of state falconers considering attending this meet - Sunday hunting is permitted under the New Jersey Falconry Regulations.

joekoz
12-29-2013, 02:45 PM
If you are from out-of- state and planning on attending our meet, New Jersey offers a $36.50 Non-Resident Two-Day Small Game Firearm Hunting License (Consecutive Days Only & required in addition to your Falconry Permit).

Non-residents must have a record of either a resident license from any state or proof of successfully completing an appropriate hunter education course in the license data base in order to obtain a license to hunt or trap in New Jersey.

The following Licensing Agents are within close proximity of our meet location:

Bob's Little Sport Shop - Glassboro, NJ 856-881-7575
Borough of Swedesboro -Swedesboro, NJ 856-467-0202
Dick's Sporting Goods - Deptford, NJ 856-384-8533
Greenwich Twp. - Gibbstown, NJ 609-423-1038
Kmart - Mantua, NJ 856-468-7575
The Sports Authority - Sewell, NJ 856-262-6285
Wal-Mart - Deptford, NJ 856-384-3211

joekoz
01-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Well I’ve made 3 trips down to our upcoming met location in Swedesboro since my last post and scored on bunnies each time.

The meet is just 5 days away and it looks like the weather is going to do its part to make this another great meet. The weather forecast is calling for clear sunny skies on Friday the 24th with a high of 26 degrees; overcast with a high of 35 degrees on Saturday the 25th; and partly cloudy with a high of 28 degrees on Sunday the 26th.

Hope to see you there.

nycfalconer
01-19-2014, 11:22 AM
I'll be there Joe!peacee

joekoz
01-20-2014, 08:09 PM
After reading the thread “Is anyone having good hawking weather?” and the comment that“you guys in the northeast don't even need to answer”. I decided to check to see if there were any changes to the expected weather for our upcoming meet.

I’m glad I did and I’m happy to report that the forecasted conditions which were looking very good a few days ago got even better. The weekend forecast is holding firm and they're forecasting 3 to 5 inches of snow tomorrow with cold weather up to and through the weekend. This should work to keep the ground covered with snow through the upcoming weekend meet resulting in excellent bunny hunting conditions.

robbeth
01-22-2014, 10:13 PM
See you Friday

Heero
01-22-2014, 11:12 PM
I was thinking of coming. Too late? Will there be anyone flying longwings I can watch and badger? Also, are there some sort of special requirements Id need to complete to bring my kestrel over state lines?

Mike

joekoz
01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
I was thinking of coming. Too late? Will there be anyone flying longwings I can watch and badger? Also, are there some sort of special requirements Id need to complete to bring my kestrel over state lines?

Mike:

It's not too late. If you don't register on line and just show up that would be OK.

We have a number of club members who fly long wings. I expect several to be at the meet. Swedesboro is on the west side of the state, and the 2 members of our club who fly large falcons and live in south jersey fly their falcons on the marshes about 50 miles away on the east side along the jersey shore. I expect everything will be frozen in tight in the area of our meet, and that the possibility of anyone driving over to the marshes to fly on ducks is low.

Out-of state falconers have been bringing their birds to our meets without any issues for years, and to the best of my knowledge there are no special requirements that they need to meet to do so.

robbeth
01-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks to all who attended even though the weather wasn't the best on Saturday I think most still had a great time

joekoz
01-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Well the expected 3 to 5 inches of snow we were expecting several days prior to our meet turned out to be 8 to 10 inches of snow.

Once again there were plenty of bunnies in the immediate area of our meet,. However following the snow the temperatures were down in the single digits ,and when we arrive on Friday morning it was 7 degrees with all of the cover (briar patches, etc.) topped with snow. The bunnies used this to there advantage making it difficult to get good slips.

As Rob mentioned above, we received more snow with heavy winds on Saturday. None the less despite difficult conditions I believe everyone was able to flush game, and quite a few rabbits as well as a few squirrels were put in the bag.

Things cleared up on Sunday with morning temperatures in the 20's, and everyone who hunted on Sunday morning saw a minimum of a half dozen bunny slips with several falconers taking doubles.

He's a link to pictures from our meet posted on our club website. http://newjerseyfalconryclub.com/?page_id=850