PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NC!!!

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Hey everyone. I've recently graduated from UNC-Asheville with a Biology degree. While there I gained a real passion for raptors. I have long wanted to become a falconer but haven't yet taken the leap.

I was out doing some photography the other day and ran into four falconers that were flying Harris Hawks and I was given the pleasure of coming with them on their hunt. It was AWESOME to say the least. I'm hooked now, I am certain I want to become a falconer no matter what it takes.

I have been working with birds of prey for a while now at a local rehab clinic and love that...I think this knowledge will help me with falconry as well.

I've joined this forum in order to learn as much as I can about falconry and hopefully to find a sponsor in Western North Carolina when the time comes. I've contacted the gentlemen that I went out with also, so maybe they'll be able to help me out with sponsorship when I'm ready as well. I am also going back out on a hunt on Friday with the falconers that I've met! I'M STOKED!!!

Thanks and I look forward to gaining as much knowledge as I can from this forum!!

outhawkn
02-28-2008, 08:51 AM
(welc)

We go by first names here, whats yours?

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi. Who was it you went out with Ling? Charles? I'm in Burlington.

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
First of all...my name is Kyle. Nice to meet you all!

And yes...I was out with Ling, Scott, and Robert. We were out for a while and then another gentleman by the name of John Browning met up with us.

I've been in contact with Ling and am going out with them again tomorrow. I'm very excited about it.

I am a photographer, that is how I ran into them...I was out at a local lake taking photos of ducks and the like. The ducks scattered and I turn to see a Harris Hawk on the door of Ling's Toyota Tundra! It was wild! I asked if I could photograph his bird and they invited me to come along with them on a hunt.

Needless to say I'm hooked! I've always wanted to practice falconry but thought that there was no one in my area that did it. Well I'm SO glad I was wrong about that.

If anyone would like to see the photos I've got them posted on an online photo album of mine...just let me know.

Thanks for the welcome!!

Kyle

chamokane
02-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Welcome, Kyle. I hope falconry adds as much to your life as it has to mine.

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm sure it will. It's all I have thought about for the past week! I know it's what I want to do. I'm just glad I ran into those fellas the other day.

FredFogg
02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey Kyle, (welc) to the fourm! I am a falconer from Winston-Salem and you can't beat that bunch of guys you have up there, so you are in great hands. I know what you mean about not knowing any falconers and not knowing I could do this. Many, many moons ago, I had dinner at this lady's house in Virginia and she had two Harris Hawks. I couldn't believe she had them and soon learned from her she was a falconer and all the steps to become one. I went out hunting with her the very next day and I was hooked. The rest is history! It is now not just part of my life, but part of who I am and I am involved with my birds 365 days a year (well, 366 this year LOL). If you have the passion, you will be hooked for the rest of your life.

Good luck,

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't get many chaces to fly up your way, but if you're ever in the peidmont let me know.

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 03:27 PM
One other thing....

Do you all think it would be too imposing to ask if my girlfriend can come along with us? She's been wanting to get into this as well and would love to see how it's like up close and personal.

I'm just afraid to ask them and sound too imposing on their hunt.

What do you guys think?

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't get many chaces to fly up your way, but if you're ever in the peidmont let me know.

I sure will!! What type of bird do you fly?

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
If they say no you can come out and beat bushes for me and my fiance.

FredFogg
02-28-2008, 03:30 PM
One other thing....

Do you all think it would be too imposing to ask if my girlfriend can come along with us? She's been wanting to get into this as well and would love to see how it's like up close and personal.

I'm just afraid to ask them and sound too imposing on their hunt.

What do you guys think?

Hmmm, knowing those guys, I don't think they are going to mind having a nice looking girl tagging along! I would just keep an eye on them! LOLbox2

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I fly a big HH female, and getting a male gyr/saker today.

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I fly a big HH female, and getting a male gyr/saker today.

Sweet! I'm curious to find out what kinds of raptors do well in the NC mountains. I am sure that my first will have to be a Red Tail as a Kestrel seems a more difficult first bird. But after that what?? All of the guys I was out with yesterday flew HH but Robert's was missing a couple talons from squirrel bites, I'd hate for this to happen to my bird!

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 03:38 PM
most guys in NC fly Harris' and red-tails.

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Hmmm, knowing those guys, I don't think they are going to mind having a nice looking girl tagging along! I would just keep an eye on them! LOLbox2

How'd you know she was a hottie!! Haha

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 03:42 PM
It wouldn't matter them if she was or wasn't. hahaha

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 03:42 PM
most guys in NC fly Harris' and red-tails.

Yeah....that's what I've found with most of my research.

You'd think there would be some Kestrel flyers up my way due to all the starlings! Maybe too high maintenance of a bird though?

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 03:44 PM
my fiance/apprentice is trapping a kestrel for her second year.

FredFogg
02-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Sweet! I'm curious to find out what kinds of raptors do well in the NC mountains.

You will soon learn to fly the bird that suits whatever game you have the most of. I can't find many rabbits and I don't like flying a harris on squirrels, so I got rid of my harris hawk. I fly a red-tail on squirrels every year. I also fly a coopers hawk on starlings, grackles and crows in the spring and summer. A lot of folks try falcons, but you have to have some pretty wide open spaces to fly them and where I live, there just isn't any. If you are willing to drive a long ways to get to those areas, then you can fly a falcon. I have some great places to fly a falcon on crows in the mtns of VA and some day down the road I plan on getting a female pere/saker and do just that. But just not the right time in my life right now.

FredFogg
02-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah....that's what I've found with most of my research.

You'd think there would be some Kestrel flyers up my way due to all the starlings! Maybe too high maintenance of a bird though?

I have flown two kestrels and had great success with them. I will have another one of these days. But I wouldn't recommend them as a first bird, you can't beat a red-tail

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 03:51 PM
You will soon learn to fly the bird that suits whatever game you have the most of. I can't find many rabbits and I don't like flying a harris on squirrels, so I got rid of my harris hawk. I fly a red-tail on squirrels every year. I also fly a coopers hawk on starlings, grackles and crows in the spring and summer. A lot of folks try falcons, but you have to have some pretty wide open spaces to fly them and where I live, there just isn't any. If you are willing to drive a long ways to get to those areas, then you can fly a falcon. I have some great places to fly a falcon on crows in the mtns of VA and some day down the road I plan on getting a female pere/saker and do just that. But just not the right time in my life right now.

I understand....in Black Mountain there are some nice spots away from roads and the like that are FULL of starlings. A Coopers would be sweet! The woodland hawks are my favs! I've have a wild one that hits goldfinches and doves at my birdfeeder all the time.

It's a calm and quiet morning and then BLAM!!! That steel blue streak comes from across the yard and takes its quarry. I was actually taking photos in a blind the first time I saw it. It hit a bush that all the finches had fled to. I was so astonished that I didn't even take a photo.

I feel that apart from falcons the woodland hawks, Sharpies, Coopers, Gos(although I've never seen one) are the scariest hunters. They hunt fast animals. I hate picking the juvies up off the interstate after being hit by cars though. UNC-A has more juvie Coopers in the freezer than any other raptor. We think it's because they chase their quarry across the road at low levels, but I've never seen one get hit by a car.

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Kyle what rehab place you work at?

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Wild For Life

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Never heard of it I helped out Nina at her place up in Banner Elk once or twice.

laj
02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Wow Kyle, you waste no time at all. You found all these forums and asking really good questions before I even suggest them to you. Bravo!

As far as sponsor goes, I am a first year general and have the least amount of experience of the bunch and I feel a little uncomfortable having an apprentice so soon. Regardless who end up sponsoring you, you got 5 falconers within 30 minutes away and we go out together most of the hunt!

BTW, we will be hunting in the Asheville/Candler area tomorrow morning behind an industrial park with 3 Harris'. I will not call it a day until we bag at least 3 bunnies boxingg

laj
02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Oh yeah, if you can make it your girlfriend is more than welcome. We can always use an extra pair of eye telling us where the bunny went lol. If we don't do any good over here we may head back to Owen park/WW area.

And if Fred tells you to put on a coat and bring an umbrella on a bright sunny day I suggest you do so when it comes to falconry.

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Sounds good Ling...just hit me up tomorrow with directions!

thanks!

laj
02-28-2008, 05:07 PM
We'll be meeting around 8:30 after we drop our kids off at school. I-40W exit 44. I'll email you Scott and Robert's number so you'll have an extra contact.

And LOL @ Fred and James comment about your girl.

jfneumann57
02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
You're lucky Klye Ling never invites me to come hunt rabbits in the mountains.:(

Chris L.
02-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Kyle, Welcome aboard... It looks like you have made some friends .. be careful of those NC boys, if you have pretty teeth you may hear the ever so popular banjo playing helpp

Again welcome to NAFEX.. good luck with your falconry and please keep us posted on your progress

oh yeah, dont ever hesitate to post pictures...

Quattro15
02-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Kyle, Welcome aboard... It looks like you have made some friends .. be careful of those NC boys, if you have pretty teeth you may hear the ever so popular banjo playing helpp

Again welcome to NAFEX.. good luck with your falconry and please keep us posted on your progress

oh yeah, dont ever hesitate to post pictures...

I have a lot of raptor shots....I took photos of Ling's, Robert's, Scott's and John's Harris's the other day. I also have got some pretty good shots of a VERY tame juvie Red-Tail. I even got to watch him hit a bunny while I was photographing him! Although due to the size it's probably a her.

Anyhow they are here....http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylequattromani

I hope you guys like them, I've been doing photography for about 10 years. It was hard to shoot the Harris hawks as the sun had gotten too high in the sky to get a good photo.

Enjoy! And I love criticism...good or bad.

Thanks!!

FredFogg
02-29-2008, 10:36 AM
I have a lot of raptor shots....I took photos of Ling's, Robert's, Scott's and John's Harris's the other day. I also have got some pretty good shots of a VERY tame juvie Red-Tail. I even got to watch him hit a bunny while I was photographing him! Although due to the size it's probably a her.

Anyhow they are here....http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylequattromani

I hope you guys like them, I've been doing photography for about 10 years. It was hard to shoot the Harris hawks as the sun had gotten too high in the sky to get a good photo.

Enjoy! And I love criticism...good or bad.

Thanks!!

Great photo's Kyle! I used to raise Mandarin and Wood ducks! I love them. That is a great shot of the wild juvie red-tail eating the rabbit. Now that is a bird you would have wanted to trap! LOL

Chris L.
02-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Great pictures.. I love taking pictures.. you really have a talent for sure

thanks for posting the link

Quattro15
02-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Great photo's Kyle! I used to raise Mandarin and Wood ducks! I love them. That is a great shot of the wild juvie red-tail eating the rabbit. Now that is a bird you would have wanted to trap! LOL

Yup!!....She's one big mutha!

What's the deal on trapping, ONLY Juvies?

Quattro15
02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
I went back out with Ling and the gang today also! Their Harris hawks got three bunnies in a couple hours. What a rush!! I'm 100% positive that this is for me. I've just got to get thicker clothes so I can get in those brambles!

Thanks Ling, Scott, and Robert....I hope that in a while you guys will have another hawker to hunt with.

FredFogg
02-29-2008, 10:01 PM
I went back out with Ling and the gang today also! Their Harris hawks got three bunnies in a couple hours. What a rush!! I'm 100% positive that this is for me. I've just got to get thicker clothes so I can get in those brambles!

Thanks Ling, Scott, and Robert....I hope that in a while you guys will have another hawker to hunt with.

Klye,

Briarbusters.com, a NC company. You can get some stuff cheap at the end the season.

laj
02-29-2008, 10:42 PM

It was great having you with us today, Kyle. You can't ask for a better day when all three hawks made kills and plenty of chases. Next season I'll equip myself with video cameras!

FredFogg
02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
It was great having you with us today, Kyle. You can't ask for a better day when all three hawks made kills and plenty of chases. Next season I'll equip myself with video cameras!

Ling, you all are starting to piss me off! You are having way too much fun up there! LOL I wish Wordell wasn't out of commission, I would have liked to come up one more time before the season ended. I definately will be back next year if you will have me! I know Dan wants to come back too and you all need to come down here one Saturday. We won't be able to give you all those bunny chases but we can give you plenty of squirrel chases.

laj
02-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Ling, you all are starting to piss me off! You are having way too much fun up there! LOL I wish Wordell wasn't out of commission, I would have liked to come up one more time before the season ended. I definately will be back next year if you will have me! I know Dan wants to come back too and you all need to come down here one Saturday. We won't be able to give you all those bunny chases but we can give you plenty of squirrel chases.

You know you and Dan are welcome anytime! This new spot we have been hunting lately is great. We made about 10 kills there in 2 weeks time and we lost 4 today...we'll just call them breeders. I am still 50/50 about releasing Bugs since I got the Harris and I will definately head your way if I decide to intermew him.

jfneumann57
03-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Ling who is Bugs?

Quattro15
03-01-2008, 12:27 AM
That's his Red Tail. I got to meet him today as well. Nice lookin' bird if you ask me.

Jenifre
03-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Guess I am jumping in late on this one. Nice pics Kyle. I am pretty new to this site as well. No doubt you have heard from some great people so far.