PDA

View Full Version : More input.

Lycan333
01-28-2014, 09:26 PM
I've just started to learn about falconry and am excited to get involved.

mcogar88
01-28-2014, 09:56 PM
First of all you need to read the Forum Rules at the top of the page, and make sure you sign each post with your name otherwise you will get in trouble on here. Now that we have that cleared up, (welc). Illinois has many great falconers, I would suggest looking into to the IFO forum. http://illinoisfalconers.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1. The best thing to do is get out and get hunting with some falconers. and see if this is for you. There is a meet February 9th in Bloomington which is worth looking into. Also I suggest picking up a couple books and start reading, and going through forums and reading post. It's not a easy process to become a falconer, but if it's truly something you want it's achievable and well worth all the effort. Good luckrtsqrl

Lycan333
01-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Great, thanks for the info.

Tom Scheib
01-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Brandon,

What Mike Cogar didn't tell you about himself is that he was at the same place you are not that long ago. Now he's got a PRT on his fist and they're catching rabbits. Good Luck.

Fwanck
01-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Welcome aboard! :D

katzenjammer360
01-31-2014, 01:25 PM
As a fellow IL falconer, welcome!! You luckily ended up in a great place for fur and feather in this state. I'm stranded down here in the boondocks >.< You'll definitely want to make that Bloomington meet if you can, it should be a blast! Bloomington's the place to go in IL and most of the IL falconers will probably try to make it. You should meet some great contacts that way. Welcome again! I hope you enjoy it here :)

katzenjammer360
01-31-2014, 04:37 PM
P.S. Was the title of this thread a Short Circuit reference?

Lycan333
02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Hey you got the joke!

Lycan333
02-05-2014, 11:18 AM
What would anyone suggest as some of the best books on falconry? I'm looking for instruction in falconry as apposed to history.

gemiller
02-05-2014, 01:21 PM
California Hawking Club Apprentice Study Guide and Apprentice Manual
The Falconers Apprentice
American Kestrels in Modern Falconry (if kestrels are up your alley)
Trapping Essentials - (make sure your sponsor if you have one is ok with you reading how to on trapping, some like to teach their way before you get a "book plan")

katzenjammer360
02-05-2014, 07:24 PM
The Falconer's Apprentice: William C. Oakes. THIS IS THE BOOK that every apprentice should read. It's very cheap and very clearly written.

The Red Tailed Hawk: Liam McGranaghan (hard to find but I just learned you can rent it from Davidson's falconry website.

American Kestrels in Modern Falconry: Matt Mullenix. This is a great read even if you don't plan on taking a Kessie. They're really fun birds to read about.

The CHC study guide and manual are absolutely the best. Probably 80% of the questions on the IL test are from that book.

North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks is AWESOME if you can borrow it from somewhere (check the library), it's very expensive to purchase.

Buteos and Bushytails is a good one if you plan to hunt squirrels with a RT. Again, out of print, so see if you can track down a copy to borrow.

sharptail
02-06-2014, 05:17 PM
North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks is AWESOME if you can borrow it from somewhere (check the library), it's very expensive to purchase.True, it is spendy, but should just go up in value and worth every penny. Hal is soon to turn 94 but is still around so you could get your new copy signed, if it is important to you. You can order from Western Sporting@ ph. # 307 672-0445

mcogar88
02-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Bill Oaks, also has a good book called the "Beginners Circle" which is also worth picking it up. I think it's around 15 bucks. It's a collection of articles he has wrote for American Falconry Magazine. Also get a subscription to American Falconry Magazine. I think its 36 bucks a year or something like that. Read all you can just remember when you get a sponsor his word is gold.