PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER!

Whitebird
01-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Hi Everyone!
I just joined and wanted to say hello- and tell a bit about myself. I started flying birds-redtails- in 1972- at age 12-guided by some master falconers that I met out in the field-- got my falconry permit at 16- and I flew them for about 15 yrs- on and off- in S. CA and MT.I have always ended up with really big female redtails- I really love them- because they are just like little eagles... in a way-. I really wanted to fly a golden eagle-my sponsor had one- but at the time I didn't think I would ever get the chance. But now that I am back in NM - I met a master here who has invited me to help him train his 6 yr old tiercel golden- a bird who hasn't flown in a couple of years due to some injuries. I am just now getting my NM permits for the next year's season. I feel like I am just starting over and it is REALLY exciting! Falconry here in NM is different than S. CA.- because of the open terrain here- but I am so happy with the fields here- wide open expanses of sage brush that holds many,many jacks- and quite a few cottontails- and quail. The falconers that I have met here are great and very supportive- and- right around the corner from me!
I'm a wildlife artist- and specialize in falconry art- I will be posting some pics of my art later for eveyone to see-one of my latest paintings is going to be on the new front cover of the Northwoods' catalog! It's a Northern Gos just a second before making contact with a mallard drake in the Olympic Peninsula. I also print t-shirts -in an environmentally sustainable way- with no solvents used and no waste-- at all- ( ie...it's not screen printing- which uses cancer-causing solvents that get dumped into the water table- thousands of gallons worth a day)- If you have a good photo of your bird- I can print it on a shirt for you. I will post pics of my shirts in the falconry equipment section. They are quite beautiful - as I can tie-dye the shirts to match the colors and patterns of your birds! I have been doing t-shirt printing like this now for about 8 yrs- My t-shirts hold up great in the wash because they are not ink jet transfer printed- or silk screened- so the printed image will never peel, crack or come off in the washing machine. Of course, you can say whatever you want to say on the shirt.
Thanks to the falconry websites like this one - the art of falconry will always be alive and growing! I look forward to reading and contributing what little knowledge and experience that I have accumulated over the years when I flew birds- and as I grow in knowledge flying the golden this year. I know I am going to learn a lot from this bird-- HO! Tim McCarthy

wesleyc6
01-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Howdy Tim,
Quite the falconry resume you have there!!!! Glad to have you here. I look forward to seeing your art work and hearing about the eagle. I have a friend here in GA that is pretty well know for his wildlife art too. Steve Hein is his name. He runs the raptor center at GSU.

I am heading your way next summer I believe. We will be in El Paso TX which is right at the border in NM. We have already begun making contacts and downsizing things here! I am about to train a new longwing, which I am very green at, but I want a good head start on it before we get to TX where I plan to longwing and fly my HH's extensively.

everetkhorton
01-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Tim:
Welcome to the site. It is nice to see that your dream come true. It is nice that you started at a early age. I started in 1973 but at the age of 25. NM is sounding better all the time. I have never been to NM but I think I would like to take a trip there. Sounds like a nice place. Can not wait to see some of the art work.
Good luck with the eagle etc.
Ev. Mi.

`Chris L.
01-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Tim,
Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy them as much as we all are. I can't wait to see your art work. I may be interested in a shirt for sure.

NM sounds good to me too. i am kind of torn between that and texas.. but I am sure texas is where I will end up [smilie=eusa_pray.gif]

again welcome I and look forward to reading your posts