PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Tristate Area

GradHawk
02-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Hey there, name's Robert, but everyone just calls me Bobby. A few weeks ago, I discovered that Falconry was alive as a sport-I had long thought that it was extinct. In hindsight, the fact that I knew that trained raptors were still around probably should have given me a subtle clue. Since I have had birds of one sort or another since I was 11 (I am now 24), this naturally aroused my interest. Even more so since the sport offers me an excuse to get outdoors. I currently own two small parrots; a Cockatiel who is roughly 14-13, and a sun conure who is about 13. Previously, I also had a few fowl, however my last one-a male rouen duck who I personally raised and cared for since hatching-died two years ago.

Currently, I am boning up on what I can- I am exhaustively picking over The Modern Apprentice, and am looking for good books on the sport to further whet my appetite. I am not currently looking for a sponsor, for the simple reason that I have no clue where I will be in the fall; I applied to graduate school last fall, and until I get replies from the schools I do not know whether I will spend the next four or five years of my life in Florida, my native New Jersey, New York or even Pennsylvania. Considering the time commitment involved on both sides of an apprenticeship, and since I do not know where I will be, I figure that in the meantime I will be better served by spending the time learning. The same goes for the permits involved.

I hope to eventually become a falconer, and an ambassador for the sport. I also have what may well be a pipe dream of setting a up a breeding program someday with golden eagles and red tails to do something similar with each to what the Coulsons have done with Harris Hawks. It may be out of my reach for quite some time, but hey, a man can dream. Incidentally, the bird I am most interested in someday flying is the Harris hawk.

sharptail
02-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Welcome Bobby,
You dream big. The Golden Eagle is currently off limits for falconry take and there is a big push to get a trapping season and or Eyass take permitted again. Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't the breeding of Goldens currently prohibited? Something about if a particular activity, if not directly permitted, is not allowed? Does that sound like the US we all know and love...Land of the Free, Home of the Brave?

The rest of your dream is still very do-able and I hope that you are suscessful with all of it, including the Eagle Dreams that you would like to realize.

GradHawk
02-18-2014, 10:16 PM
I've checked the eagle subforum and read the related threads. The result is...disheartening, to say the least. Looks like I'll have to join in the fight if I want any chance of making my dream a reality. What's happened is that the USFWS has basically permitted it, but at the same time put nearly insurmountable roadblocks before any actual falconry take of the birds is permitted. Considering the fact that the bird isn't even considered endangered, this strikes me as grossly unfair. Granted, with the issue windfarms are having that may not remain the case, but in that case I would assume it would be considered desirable to have an established, genetically diverse captive population to fall back on. Not to mention, some of the eagles thus taken for falconry might have otherwise ended up decorating the ground on a windfarm.

I'm not sure if the breeding is specifically prohibited yet, but it looks like the hows and whats and whys of it all are up in the air.

Edit: It is currently prohibited. What is up in the air is if and how it will be allowed-along with the who.

Yeomanfalconer
02-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Robert, You will find sympathetic souls here on NAFEX. Join them if you want action.

Paul Ward
02-19-2014, 12:38 AM
Hi Bobby,

Just curious, what happened a few weeks ago that opened your eyes to falconry?

GradHawk
02-19-2014, 01:09 AM
I most certainly do intend to join in! Trying to figure out who specifically to get in touch with about it first.

As for what happened, it was a simple comment that I happened across while browsing the internet that talked about the Harris hawk and how it was the only social raptor, which made it easier to train. That piqued my curiosity, so I looked up a bit of info on the Harris hawk, which was how I discovered that falconry still existed. From there, I started looking up resources about falconry and what it entailed, to see if I could handle the commitment in terms of time, and if I would enjoy it.

That, in turn, led me to The Modern Apprentice, which I have been studying in my off time as a sort of working break. It also led me to Toby Bradshaw's site about Harris Hawks, and to the Coulson's site. After examining all of the above (I am in the middle of going back over TMA in order to start memorizing things) I have come to the conclusion that I can, and moreover that I would also enjoy it. I have since signed up for an associate's membership with the NJ Falconry Club, and am waiting to hear back from them. I am also looking to buy books to help me learn more, but the price tag for some of the better books mean I might have to wait a bit before getting the ones I want. All of them, anyway.

I have to say, if I had actually been educated as to the existence of this sport earlier I probably would have taken it up while still in my teens. Birds have pretty much always been my favorite kind of animal, and parrots and raptors in particular. That is kind of the reason I wish to become an ambassador for the sport in the future.

Paul Ward
02-19-2014, 02:04 AM
It definitely seems like you have the right kind of drive to pursue falconry!

You will know for sure that falconry is for you once you have studied as much as you think you can possibly handle, spent the time and money towards getting your inspections and licenses squared away, and have successfully found a sponsor who is willing to mentor you all without losing the momentum of your curiosity that drove you to start training raptors in the first place.

Joining your local club is a great idea, and talking to (even hunting with) local falconers is probably the easiest way to open your eyes to the sport. No book can prepare you for what it's really like chasing game with a trained BOP up close and in person!

lxlMurdoclxl
02-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Hey Bobby,

I think your name "Gradhawk" is quite fitting (and funny). I have been there myself, stumbling into falconry while in my Junior year of college. I had to be realistic about my commitments and time available to dedicate; passion only gets you so far in falconry.

You are absolutely doing the right thing, learning as much as you can until the time is right.

You will find a ton of information here on nafex about flying and training birds. Also a lot about husbandry, and health issues. If I would recommend 1 book to an aspire apprentice to start with, it would be "The Red Tailed Hawk: Americas most versatile game hawk" by Liam McGranaham. This book is not the most scientific, but it was a huge asset when I was learning as to what the "day-2-day" is like in falconry season. It's a great read to begin with, and incredible informative for Tri-state area terrain.

Hope you find what your looking for.

Welcome to nafex!

Breeze
02-19-2014, 01:59 PM
It definitely seems like you have the right kind of drive to pursue falconry! . . . No book can prepare you for what it's really like chasing game with a trained BOP up close and in person!

amennn to both comments! :) Big welcome to NAFEX, Bobby!

GradHawk
02-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you for the welcome! Considering there is still over six inches of snow outside, I think I will have to wait a bit before accompanying anyone in the field. Fortunately, we're supposed to start hitting the fifties tomorrow. I'm not sure what effect the brutal weather we've had up here has had on game populations though, but I suspect it isn't good. I still need to wait to hear back from the NJFC though; I haven't heard anything from them since I sent in my membership application, and I think it would be impolite for me to contact them until they contact me. I would like to be able to get out in the field though, and see it firsthand.