PDA

View Full Version : still trying to get started

Deernuts
02-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Hi, All
My name is John Ortino. I live in Alabaster, Alabama, about 20 miles south of Birmingham. I have been hunting for 32 years. I have just stepped down from president, to vice president, to just a member of Deernuts Hunting Club. I just want to enjoy hunting without the business side of it… We have over 1000 acres, located south of Tuscaloosa. I have wanted to get into falconry sense I was a teenager. But now my kids are grown, my wife passed away ten years ago. So as the song says, Time Is ON My SIDE… I save all my Vacation time for Hunting. So now you know where my head is… For allmost two year's now I have been looking for someone to tagalong with, on some hunts. And hopefully get a sponsor. I have plans for my Mews, but would like some input on them before I have my contractor get started.
Here are my plans for my Mews. The 10'x20' shed will be built on top of cement blocks and cemented all the way around bottom. 10'x5' will be work room. You would enter from front door of work room, and enter Mews from interior door which stops accidental flyby out of Mews area. The double barn doors would be locked except for cleaning. The window openings would have pvc pipe with conduit pipe inside of pvc.I was thinking of having a coated chain link, fencing from the top of the roof overhang, in front of mews 16'x20'for weathering area. It would have a two gate system also to keep flyby's from happening. Both Mews and weathering area would have the same ¼" hardware cloth, underground and around bottom edge. I have a drawing but can't copy to this posting...
Thanks, John Ortino

Dirthawking
02-19-2014, 09:31 PM
First tip. Don't build anything until you have a sponsor lined out.

eminart
02-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Welcome aboard! PM sent.

Deernuts
03-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Update, I have gone on two tagalong hunts. I knew I wanted to do this, but it's official. I'm HOOKED... I'd like to thank Joan Wymer, Scott wright, Sandra Allinson and Mike Germana. Thanks, John Ortino

eminart
03-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Glad you've been able to get out and hunt.

I feel like I should warn you that life as you knew it is over. You'll never drive anywhere again without looking for hawks on the roadsides. And the rest of your years will be filled with chasing a finicky bird around, while you act like a rabbit/squirrel dog and run yourself ragged in the brush. You'll have hawk s*** somewhere on your floor, counter, table, and/or walls at all times. Most of your friends will wonder why you don't just get a beagle and a shotgun. Your acquaintances will think you dress up like an 11th century british nobleman and parade around in your tights with a hawk on a glove. And if you're married, it had better be to a very understanding woman.

But it's worth it.

Muckafoonee
03-05-2014, 12:26 PM

I feel like I should warn you that life as you knew it is over. You'll never drive anywhere again without looking for hawks on the roadsides. And the rest of your years will be filled with chasing a finicky bird around, while you act like a rabbit/squirrel dog and run yourself ragged in the brush. You'll have hawk s*** somewhere on your floor, counter, table, and/or walls at all times. Most of your friends will wonder why you don't just get a beagle and a shotgun. Your acquaintances will think you dress up like an 11th century british nobleman and parade around in your tights with a hawk on a glove. And if you're married, it had better be to a very understanding woman.

But it's worth it.
Truer words have rarely been spoken firsts

yosemity71
03-05-2014, 12:44 PM

But it's worth it.

+1 !! amennn

forensics
03-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Sounds as though you made contact with the correct folks. It's a great group and a good club. I have gone to two of their meets as they were close to me and was impressed with them all. They do have a new President as I would guess by now you have learned. I have a gentlemans name I will pm you that appears to be your age that is wanting to also meet some new comers even though he is Master Level. Once your hooked your hooked. Expect a great experience in your venture. There are ups and downs but both can be and most often are very rewarding.