PDA

View Full Version : RT Imprinting

forensics
03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Interested in any members that have directly had hands on experience with Imprinted RT's. From take to first hunt.

Yeomanfalconer
03-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Interested in any members that have directly had hands on experience with Imprinted RT's. From take to first hunt.
Uh, yes, there are many of us here that know of this and have the scars to prove it.
The first year with an imprint(female) is great. Tame as kittens. Fearless as a lion. Second year, things change. You can become the hunted. No fun.

NYRedtailfalconer
03-05-2014, 10:59 PM
frus) ... all that is needed....

BestBeagler
03-05-2014, 11:30 PM
I bet there have been some amazing imprint RT jack killers over the years. I would be interested to hear other experiences to. Not that I have any desire to get an imprint RT but I do enjoy listening and reading about this topic.

Yeomanfalconer
03-05-2014, 11:46 PM
I bet there have been some amazing imprint RT jack killers over the years. I would be interested to hear other experiences to. Not that I have any desire to get an imprint RT but I do enjoy listening and reading about this topic.
One of the most impressive I can recall, was a mean imprint red-tail, in NW Iowa named Morticia. A teacher named Jim Kimsey flew this lovely gal, Some of those Iowa red-tails can be huge, Morticia was very big. Morti was dangerous around her ring perch but in her third or forth year, was an amazing rabbit hawk in the woodlots around Centerville, SD. She flew with her buddy, a Basset named Morgan the organ.I think Morgan was from Dan O'brien's bassets. Those two would head off into the wood, snow swirling all around, bitter cold. You could hear Morgan doing his basset thing, before long you would hear the scream of the rabbit. We would catch up to the team and squeeze the guts out of the big south dakota cotton-tail, where Morgan would slurp them up like any good rabbit dog would.
Morticia was usually good for a few of these episodes. If I am correct, she was taken by Don Hunter with his famous male Willard. Not hares but tough hawking none-the-less.

forensics
03-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Been watching this nest for a couple years now and adults are back. 3 hatched out with 2 fledging last year. I hear the first year can be nice with it going down hill with some birds subsequent years. Nest is about 125 ft. off deck. 3403

Yeomanfalconer
03-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Those big Florida RT's are awesome. Art Graves had one in Tallahassee that would crush brush to take bunnies and went on to take jacks out in New Mexico. I might recommend watching this nest and trying to trap one of the young after she has begun hunting. Much better behavior and you won't die falling 125 feet, and then later having a big hawk cutting you.

JRedig
03-06-2014, 12:01 AM
I've been around a few imprint redtails, I just don't see the cost-benefit to them. Early trapped passages tame down so nicely and don't have the behavioral issues, why go through the bother?

NYRedtailfalconer
03-06-2014, 12:36 AM
Imprinting a rt is one of those "iffy" areas in falconry. I've seen imprints, bit I would opt for a passage bird. You can at least release a passage bird, and you don't have to deal with the aggression issues that normally come with an imprint.

dboyrollz76
03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
my stepfather had a imprint rt back in 1988, hunted well and would try to take everything that moved from mice to dogs and took lots of bunnies and squirrels a few quail and ducks. But she was so freaking mean. She would finish a tidbit or two of the glove then get in your face and you'd better hope you had a hold on the jesses, because if you didnt your hurtin. She would also fly down in the field and smack you in the head or grab the glove tring to kill it. You had to keep her moving. And trading her of was a problem her second year. You would walk tward her she would leave her kill and attack you.

forensics
03-06-2014, 12:41 AM
Imprinting a rt is one of those "iffy" areas in falconry. I've seen imprints, bit I would opt for a passage bird. You can at least release a passage bird, and you don't have to deal with the aggression issues that normally come with an imprint.

That is indeed one of my concerns. Taking one that turns out aggressive and imprinted and non releaseable other then a rehab.

mcogar88
03-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Honestly if you want a bird like an Imprint I have to agree with these guys take a early bird. I always figured there's a reason everyone isn't flying imprint redtails, and sound like you have found your answer. My early bird is like a dog in and out of the field, and will chases anything that moves. It took me a while to get him going but once I did wow what an amazing bird.

forensics
03-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Honestly if you want a bird like an Imprint I have to agree with these guys take a early bird. I always figured there's a reason everyone isn't flying imprint redtails, and sound like you have found your answer. My early bird is like a dog in and out of the field, and will chases anything that moves. It took me a while to get him going but once I did wow what an amazing bird.

I have taken Branchers and eyass of various types back in the 70's. Just Never the RT...........as I always took the Passage. I could have taken one of these last year as an yearly bird and pasted.