PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oklahoma

Berkutchi
03-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Hi all,

Just found this Forum! I'm a falconer from Oklahoma, currently flying a peregrine on ducks. I've had a ball gamehawking this season, but there is little else I love more than good eagle falconry in eagle country. I've traveled a bit to learn how its done; and have spent a fair amount of time in Scotland flying golden eagles on blue hares with the help of great friends, both off-the-fist and waiting-on. Though I reside in Oklahoma at the moment, and truly enjoy the longwinging here, its my aim to move back abroad for several seasons more of serious eagle hawking - its a simply enthralling facet of falconry that leaves me smiling everytime.

I see lots of familiar names here - cheers everyone!

tacatanach
03-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi all,

Just found this Forum! I'm a falconer from Oklahoma, currently flying a peregrine on ducks. I've had a ball gamehawking this season, but there is little else I love more than good eagle falconry in eagle country. I've traveled a bit to learn how its done; and have spent a fair amount of time in Scotland flying golden eagles on blue hares with the help of great friends, both off-the-fist and waiting-on. Though I reside in Oklahoma at the moment, and truly enjoy the longwinging here, its my aim to move back abroad for several seasons more of serious eagle falconry - its a simply enthralling facet of falconry that leaves me smiling everytime.

I see lots of familiar names here - cheers everyone!

Hey Lauren
Nice to see you gave in and joined over here, its good fun. They have some creative smilies over here such as (dog) and fishslap.

I found starlings today, the AK tried a few but still no luck. Maybe tomorrow.

sharptail
03-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Welcome Lauren,
How is the duck hawking going?

GyrXPeals
03-09-2008, 02:53 AM
Well hey there Lauren. I take it Elaine is up for a well deserved molt. I'm still not sure you realize just how well you two did this season but trust me, you did fantastic.
I look forward to some duck hawking with you next season, hopefully we'll get to see Elaine kill her first Chicken too. Scott will have some pheasants for you to try, and is also going to be raising Chuckers and Huns this summer, so there Will be plenty of baggies to get Elaine started on upland.
If I don't see you before, I'll see you at the picnic.
(welc)
Jeff

Berkutchi
03-09-2008, 03:28 AM
Hi Jeff (Sharptail),

Its been a steep learning curve for me, but once I cracked it, it was great fun. After we took our first duck, there was no looking back. Thanks to the guidance of the talented longwingers in my state (namely, Jeff below), she's got a consistant pitch of 800-1000ft. And there were days, to my delight and worry, when the thermals reduced her to a speck. I've learned worlds this season. To say I'm looking forward to fall, and bringing more to bag, is an understatement.

There's some good memories, but here's one that really left me grinning: With my falcon about a ½ mile beyond the pond, and about 800ft up - I flushed these diminuitve divers off a fair-sized pond towards her. They were off, picking up speed immediately and zooming away. She begins her pumping stoop – but it quickly becomes vertical because the divers have covered that much ground already. I could hear the rushing wind as she arrowed right down. The ducks angled at the last second but…Smack! I ran over (took a good minute) to find her on a stone dead little hen ringneck - her fourth duck in a row.

Ah Jeff (GyrXPeales)

Yep, she's up for moult. You really know how make me happy. :D That means a lot, coming from you. I will certainly see you in the field next year! The thought of giving her a shot on chicken just gives me goosebumps. Thank you, and see you soon buddy!

Here's a few pictures from this year:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/Berkutchi/4.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/Berkutchi/6.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/Berkutchi/3-1.jpg

FredFogg
03-09-2008, 04:25 AM
Hey Lauren, glad to see you on here! I have really enjoyed your pictures on the IFF of your adventures out with Neil and the rest of the eagle guys over there in the UK and your photo's out with Dave Stevens there in Oklahoma. We might not call you mate over here, but I am sure these blokes can come up with something good! LOL :D

sharptail
03-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Lankly looking falcon, nice build!! Is she an anatum kind a sort of thing? Nice to have you on here, so glad you and your falcon are doing well!! Elainle, great name, reminds me of the historic Elsa. Best of Hawking to you, one day may we meet in the field for some good flights!

Jimmy
03-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi Lauren!
Haven't chatted with you in awhile....... :)

everetkhorton
03-09-2008, 11:04 AM
(welc) Lauren,

robhawkyyz
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Good to have you here. I have read your stories in the magazines on your eagle experiences in Mongolia as well as well as other stories, that had to be awesome to experience... post often and have fun!!!

Berkutchi
03-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey Lauren, glad to see you on here! I have really enjoyed your pictures on the IFF of your adventures out with Neil and the rest of the eagle guys over there in the UK and your photo's out with Dave Stevens there in Oklahoma. We might not call you mate over here, but I am sure these blokes can come up with something good! LOL :D

Thanks for that, Fred - makes posting it worthwhile. Hehe, sounds good - I've been called everything under the sun in the UK. So just as long as its not Scots slang... ;)

Lankly looking falcon, nice build!! Is she an anatum kind a sort of thing? Nice to have you on here, so glad you and your falcon are doing well!! Elainle, great name, reminds me of the historic Elsa. Best of Hawking to you, one day may we meet in the field for some good flights!

Appreciated, Jeff! Yes, she's an anatum off Andy Kramer in Minnesota. You too, I'd love to meet in the field one day for some quality hawking. All the best!

Hi Lauren!
Haven't chatted with you in awhile....... :)

Hey Jimmy - we've got an obligatory chat come NAFA meet time this year :D

Good to have you here. I have read your stories in the magazines on your eagle experiences in Mongolia as well as well as other stories, that had to be awesome to experience... post often and have fun!!!

Wow Rob, thanks! The hard part is just getting there - but the falconry and the people are as good as they come. I wish more could experience it - if anyone finds themselves on the otherside of the Atlantic and is interested, let me know and I'll certainly help get you out there.

threetoe
03-09-2008, 01:27 PM
You found us knuckleheads.

(welc)

chris kimble
03-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Welcome Lauren, Glad you found us!