PDA

View Full Version : Hello....

V-John
03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi, my name is John, and I live in Manhattan, Kansas. I run pointing dogs, (vizslas) and am fascinated by falconry. I know nothing about it and cannot see myself getting into it at the current time, but I wanted to stop by and read as much as I could about the sport. (or way of life)
I suppose that I just want to learn as much as I can about falconry.

Does anyone know of a thread that speaks of the basics? A place to start? Obviously all of the information on this board is overwhelming, and I'm just looking for a place to start.

Thanks guys!

John

tacatanach
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Welcome of NAFEX! There are a lot of really informative theads on here (as you've discovered), but a good place to start might be the Apprentice subform: http://www.nafex.net//forumdisplay.php?f=34 As you read feel free to ask any questions there are a lot of people on here ready to help out. You also might look into joining your state club and NAFA. Most everyone is done for the season but there might be people in your area you can meet up with.

hawkstir
03-12-2008, 12:33 PM
(welc)

Jimmy
03-12-2008, 01:28 PM
(welc) John.
There seems to be a huge influx of people here lately, that are interested in getting started....... As long as none of you are from Georgia, it's okay. There's not enough game here for anymore falconers...........

Chris L.
03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
(welc) John.
There seems to be a huge influx of people here lately, that are interested in getting started.......

I agree.. there really has been more and more new people popping in to say hello. I wonder how most are finding us? John did you use a search engine?

Welcome John,
I know it can be overwhelming at first. The best thing to do is get out with some local falconers and it will help pull things together. I hope you enjoy the forums

again welcome

V-John
03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys.. The amount of info on this place is overwhelming, and I needed a good place to start.

V-John
03-12-2008, 01:51 PM
I agree.. there really has been more and more new people popping in to say hello. I wonder how most are finding us? John did you use a search engine?

Welcome John,
I know it can be overwhelming at first. The best thing to do is get out with some local falconers and it will help pull things together. I hope you enjoy the forums

again welcome

Yes, I just used a random Yahoo search engine, and tried to find something in the US to start with.
Thanks for the welcome..

everetkhorton
03-12-2008, 05:29 PM
John:
The first place to start is contact your State Game agency and get a copy of the law's and Reg. They usually send other information.

wesleyc6
03-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Check out this thread. Follow the link http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?p=32426#post32426

Ask any questions you have as it will help us refine the thread.(welc)

GyrXPeals
03-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Hey John, welcome to the site. You have some good falconers up there in Kansas. In fact we've had more than a few joint field meets with your boys up there. See if you can get hooked up with some of those guys, go out with them and see what it's all about.
It's funny you run Vizslas and are trying to figure out falconry. I'm a falconer trying to figure out my Vizsla bitchfrus. Small world sometimes.
Enjoy the site,
Jeff

sharptail
03-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey John, What kind of birds do you run with your vizsulas? Oh and Welcome!

V-John
03-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey John, welcome to the site. You have some good falconers up there in Kansas. In fact we've had more than a few joint field meets with your boys up there. See if you can get hooked up with some of those guys, go out with them and see what it's all about.
It's funny you run Vizslas and are trying to figure out falconry. I'm a falconer trying to figure out my Vizsla bitchfrus. Small world sometimes.
Enjoy the site,
Jeff

Jeff, where did you get your V? Know a few of the breeders in the area, and was just kind of curious... Am involved with Vizsla rescue and field trialing...

V-John
03-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Hey John, What kind of birds do you run with your vizsulas? Oh and Welcome!
I am just trying to learn more about the sport. Would really like to see more of falconry and am going to try to hook up with some falconers in the area. I don't have any birds, (other then my pigeons for dog training) I just wanted to get on here and try to learn more. I love to watch birds in action...

Thanks guys!

GyrXPeals
03-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Jeff, where did you get your V? Know a few of the breeders in the area, and was just kind of curious... Am involved with Vizsla rescue and field trialing...

John I bought her off an old guy outside of Independence Kansas, Ester North. She's a nice lookin pup, only trouble is, she's convinced she's a lap dog.LOL
ATB,
Jeff