PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Red-tail with Band near Tosohatchee FL

Flatwoods Falconer
07-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Hey Folks,

I seem to be the recipient of missing hawk related inquiries from my state agency. Not that I mind! :-)

This one is a bit of a puzzler. This beautiful Juvi Red-tail has been sighted repeatedly near Tosohatchee FL wearing a band that has the number 94 punched on it. I'm trying to get more details as to exactly where in Tosohatchee, but it has been seen in the same location numerous times. It has been reported as coming to people (within 5 feet) and showing very little fear.

I'm not sure if this is a release from a rehabilitator or an escaped falconry bird. Local rehabbers have been contacted and all said that they do not release birds with identifiers on them. I don't see why a falconer would put that type of metal band on a bird; I would think that it could interfere with the anklets, but everybody has their own way of doing things. Maybe is hacking it or raised it illegally... who knows. But either way, there is a very nice looking and friendly red-tail in Tosohatchee that may or may not be someone's falconry bird.

I can see this bird just getting into trouble with its lack of fear. So maybe some nice falconer could do this bird a solid and bring her into captivity? If she were near me, I'd think about trying to get her, but I also have my hands full with my own little fuzzy bundle this season.

I'll try to add the photos to entice you! (just as soon as I can figure that one out again)

Flatwoods Falconer
07-22-2014, 12:46 PM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/shadow9cat/JuviRedtail.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/shadow9cat/media/JuviRedtail.jpg.html)

The picture is a little small, but it's a beauty!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/shadow9cat/JuviRedtail2.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/shadow9cat/media/JuviRedtail2.jpg.html)

wingnut
07-22-2014, 01:31 PM
It has been quite a few years since I was involved with this but I have a friend here in South Dakota who had a banding permit. He mostly used it for the incidental bird that may have come into his temporary possession for a variety of reasons. I recall putting a band on birds that looked a lot like that. Again, this was quite a few years ago so I don't know if that sort of permit is even in use anymore. This may be something like that.

Hawkmom
07-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Looks like a banders crimp type band, not a breeders, slip on band. Maybe National Band and Tag, who makes bird bands can help.

Hawkmom
07-22-2014, 01:41 PM
www.nationalband.com

red_tailed
07-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Trapped a passage tiercel just north of the north western border of Washington state last November that was banded. It was part of a nest study from Arkansas. It was in horrid feather shape.

Bob
BC Canada

Tom Scheib
07-22-2014, 03:23 PM
What kind of bands are airport trappers using?

Squirrelhawkin
07-22-2014, 04:40 PM
In CT we're required to get our birds banded with USFWS band when release them. The bands look just like the one pictured. Most of the project/study bands I've seen have been colored to help in the ID of the bird. Have to get a pic of the other side of the band to see if its a crimp on and any other characters on it. If it isn't hurting the bird,who cares, leave him be.

forensics
07-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Florida regs require a banded bird that is trapped not be kept does it not........? So that would rule it out as a Falconry bird. A bit odd being banded and a Juvenile. I walked with 5-7 feet day before yesterday of a freshly fledged bird. They so no fear so soon out of the nest in urban area's. Saw more today with pics that could confirm that. May have fallen from nest and rehabber raised it, banded it and released (as required). Correct me if wrong on those regs. But feel sure they are very close to requirements.

Buckeye Falconer
07-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Many banders will band birds while in nest, could be one of those.

forensics
07-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Many banders will band birds while in nest, could be one of those.

Agreed.

forensics
07-23-2014, 12:58 PM
I seem to be the recipient of missing hawk related inquiries from my state agency. Not that I mind! :-)

Odd too Anni the State does not know their own regs. Any idea as to why they contact you so much...........just curious.

Also here are the current State regs for banded birds.

4. First year (passage) birds may be taken only during the period of August 15 through February 15.
5. A raptor wearing falconry equipment or otherwise identifiable as a falconry bird may be retrapped at any time.
a. The raptor does not count against the permittee’s possession or take limit while in temporary custody.
b. The raptor must be returned to the owner if the owner is known and may lawfully possess it. If the owner cannot be determined or cannot possess the raptor, the falconer must contact FWC to determine disposition of the raptor.
c. A falconer can retrap a bird he or she has lost at any time.
d. A banded peregrine falcon (Falco peregrinus) may not be taken from the wild.
e. A captured raptor marked with a research band or marking, or a transmitter must be reported to the Federal Bird Banding Laboratory at (800) 327-2263.

MarkT
07-23-2014, 01:35 PM
So that sounds like if the bird is not a peregrine and it doesn't have a research band on it you can keep it. In this case I doubt this is a research band. There just doesn't seem to have enough information on it for research purposes.

forensics
07-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Seems older regs sated a banded bird must be released if not a lost falconry bird.

Flatwoods Falconer
07-24-2014, 07:44 AM
I've been out of contact for the last day. Interesting suggestions.

Firstly, Joe, I work for Florida Fish and Wildlife so they use me a lot when falconry questions pop up. Since I was involved in the rule re-write it makes sense. Not that I mind in the slightest! :-)

But I think that you're right Joe, that the regs require the immediate release of any trapped bird that has a band. I don't know if it only referred to USFWS bands, but I think that it might refer to all research bands. This might be one of those but the thought was that this was a previously trapped falconry bird not a research bird. But from what you all are saying, you don't believe that it is a lost falconry bird either.

I like what you all said about juvis with little fear of people. This one has obviously been handled at some point, but it doesn't appear that his experience had a negative impact. Maybe he is just a chill bird. I'll get back to the guy who called to let him know that the consensus is that this is not 'someone's' bird. I think that's what the biggest concern was, that someone might be looking for him.

Thank you all for your thoughtful discussion and suggestions

forensics
07-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Since I was involved in the rule re-write it makes sense. Not that I mind in the slightest! :-)

Anni. Not embarrassed nor offended. glad to know who you are. I too sat in in video conference's and State meetings for the New State Regs for input and to watch what occurred or would. I believe Neil, Rick and Eric as well as many others were much more involved. I think Florida has some very good regs with a few exceptions not to be discussed here.

Seems I do recall the old regs required that you release any trapped banded bird with exception of a known Falconry Bird.

In regards to this bird being a Falconry bird and/or handled or more tame than the normal Juvenile.

This one has obviously been handled at some point

As we all know here in Florida most all the RT's have now fledged and most are on their own. Below are photo's I shared in the FFA FB Group page of one I walked up to within 5 feet with no fear and actually leaned in towards me. I am seeing them every where in the NW Fl area. More this year then the previous three years. On the flip side I have only seen (found) one and only one active nest in a rural area this year. Two others went untouched from previous years use.

So I say the bird above is not a Falconry bird as it's not even trapping season until the 15th. of next month. These birds are just not use to human interaction or fear yet as often seen in the nest. Research band and would be interested in knowing the banding location.

Below are photo's of one of several birds in the last two weeks I have literally walked right up to in able to photograph. I photograph as many as I can in my area both Adult and Juvenile for future use.

Would also be interested in making PM contact or personal contact with you as well to further discuss topic Anni.