PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the uk

accipiter16
03-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Hello just wanted to introduce myself.My names Rob and i live in Cheshire, England. Some of you may know me and my FHH from other falconry forums.I fly a Fhh as said but she is moulting at the moment but i am also waiting for a female european sparrowhawk to imprint and fly this year. Seen some good stuff on this forum and everyone SO FAR seems to have a great attitude.Hope im not invading being English `n all!
Rob

sevristh
03-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the forums Rob! You guys across the pond always give a different perspective, so good to have you all here!

accipiter16
03-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the forums Rob! You guys across the pond always give a different perspective, so good to have you all here!
Cheers mate!!

Bodarc
03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
(welc) Rob

Nice to have you here. The imprinting of your sparrow hawk will make for some good reading. I hope you'll start a thread on it so we can follow your progress.

everetkhorton
03-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Rob:
(welc) aboard! Have fun a post often, we like pictures. Great Avator:D

silverleapers
03-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Bloody hell, and blimey (grinning like a Cheshire cat)...welcome aboard mate!

Cheers;
Bill (can ya see me waving from your window?)

Chris L.
03-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Rob,
Welcome to NAFEX. Great to have you hear. I have seen you on your friends videos. It looks like you guys have a great time. Great looking harris you have. I like how enthusiastic you guys are when you hunt.

I hope you enjoy the forums and please dont hesitate to post.

Sparviter
03-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh no, we don't want riff-raff like this joining nafex! toungeout LOL

thumbsupp

accipiter16
03-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Rob,
Welcome to NAFEX. Great to have you hear. I have seen you on your friends videos. It looks like you guys have a great time. Great looking harris you have. I like how enthusiastic you guys are when you hunt.

I hope you enjoy the forums and please dont hesitate to post.

Cheers Chris and thanks to everyone else for the friendly welcome!:D

chamokane
03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Welcome Rob,

Tell us a little about the different kinds of hares that live in Britain.

accipiter16
03-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Welcome Rob,

Tell us a little about the different kinds of hares that live in Britain.

Well basically theres 2 types of hare in England. First of all is the Brown Hare these live on low land areas and(as the name suggests)they are brown .Usually weigh upto the 10lb mark these live all over England as a general rule. They are really aggressive once a hawk has connected ,but the hawk will have difficulty in connecting with them as they are masters at evading predators. They will try an out run a hawk an if thats not working they will stop dead and your hawk wont read it and will fly straight over or they will wait and sweat it out and right at the last second they will take to the sky with an incredible leap! If you read a book called hawking ground quarry by an English author called Martin Hollinshead he goes into great detail about both types of hare but the action shots hes got of Brown Hares evading Harris` Goshawks and Goldies are brilliant.I caught 3 of Brown Hares with a little male harris i flew a few seasons ago one he took himself and the other 2 he took in a cast with two different females ,The largest Hare weighed around 7lbs unfrortunatley i lost him though but i am now flying his sister.
With her i had only tried her at hares once this season and she seemed to be put off by a 9lb "monster" so i never bothered until the last day of the season where i thought why not give her one more shot...
So i went to my Brown Hare land and she chased with full intent but she binded with one 3 times and got severely kicked off 3 times and still tried but she must not have had any energy left the poor thing.When we got to her , her front middle talon had been broken on the Hare and was bleeding.So we got some potassium permanganate on it to stop the bleeding and decided to go and try for blue hare. The Blue Hare lives mainly in Scotland apart from one area in England (that is 40 minutes up the road from me). They are ever so slightly smaller than a Brown and dont seem to fight as much (try telling that to my Harris) but they still pack a punch once a bird has connected. In the summer they retain a brown with a slight blue tint to them (hence there name) but in winter they go almost all white to blend in with the snow as they are an upland creature and are subjected to alot of snow. When we were up there it was in February but suprisingly no snow. So you think theyd stick out like saw thumbs...guess again! Me and my hawking buddy (sparviter) were up there for hours and flushed 7 or 8 in total. They just appeared out of nothing these huge white creatures! Yaris (my fhh) chased everyone ,now they seem to run in eratic patterns compared to there lowland cousins and it is difficult for a hawk to follow.She bound to about 5 of them and was severely kicked off 4 of them ,she just never seemed to get a head grip. Now these guys live in the thickest of heather and it aint easy walking round in it for hours so i started to loose faith. My mate though got to hand it to him never did ,he kept our spirits up . So we said a little prayer to the god of hawkingcrazyy and carried on with this plan....Because the land was so thick with heather and full of ditches and potholes and was very un even to start with its very difficult to make in quickly so the plan was as follows. As soon as the Hare is flushed both of us must chase the Hare in whatever direction it may go instead of watching the flight first. It paid off. She caught it with a faultless head grip hailland seconds later i got in there to make in.It weighed around 9lbs. It is now in a freezer awaiting a taxidermist. That outlined what had been a great season for me a season that helped me through difficult times.

Hope that gave you some info about our hares ,sorry about me rambling im just so damn proud of it!! I will put some pics up when i can. As youve probably guessed that is the Blue Hare in my avatar

chamokane
03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Rob.

You have a right to be proud of your bird; that's a big hare.

accipiter16
03-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Rob.

You have a right to be proud of your bird; that's a big hare.

Cheers Dave!:D

Sparviter
03-22-2008, 07:29 AM
I already uploaded some pics before you joined, Rob.

Here's the thread....

www.nafex.net//showthread.php?t=1928 (http://www.nafex.net//showthread.php?t=1928)

Lee.