PDA

View Full Version : Hawking of Japan

Bird_Dog
08-24-2014, 09:41 PM
I found a link for this book by Jameson. http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924022530095;view=1up;seq=9

-- Scott

bdyelm
08-25-2014, 05:04 AM
Thank's for the find! But is there a way to print that from that source?

Bird_Dog
08-25-2014, 07:45 PM
I don't think so, maybe you can download a pdf??

-- Scott

Heero
08-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Pretty neat.

In order to download a pdf of a lot of this stuff on Google you must have a login from a partner institution, which is a not-so-long list of universities/colleges.

Ive found myself wishing this stuff was public time and again.

Mike

bdyelm
08-26-2014, 01:45 AM
I ended up just printing each individual page. Right click, print.

I hope I dont get a cease and desist, or a swat team at my door. :-P

Bird_Dog
08-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Finished reading the book, albeit only a first glance at it. One section on training peregrines (p.62-63) is interesting. It mentions an type of falconry equipment called a "Zai" It is a 3 ft long stick with red and white streamer attached to the end and is used as a directional signal. Presumably to a peregrine waiting on. The falconer uses the Zai after flushing quarry by swing?? it in the direction of the prey, thus it serves to point the falcon in the right direction?? or something like that. There's a glossary of Japanese terms that provides more info on the appearance of the Zia.

Y'all read and say what you think it's good for.

-- scott

RyanAnt
08-30-2014, 02:51 PM
It's in the public domain and hence not copyrighted. I added a few of those in a google drive a little while back. I am adding this one right now for anyone to download and print. Here is the thread.
http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=20194

bdyelm
09-02-2014, 02:28 AM
Ryan, I think you can still have stuff in the public domain that is copyrighted. But it has to be fair use or something??? I have no idea though, I got my degree is Atomic and Molecular Astrophysics not law (jk).

Either way, thanks for adding that. Hell of a lot easier than right-click print 100+ times. :-P spiderr

goshawkr
09-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Ryan, I think you can still have stuff in the public domain that is copyrighted. But it has to be fair use or something??? I have no idea though, I got my degree is Atomic and Molecular Astrophysics not law (jk).

Either way, thanks for adding that. Hell of a lot easier than right-click print 100+ times. :-P spiderr

Um, no.

Public domain, by definition, is a work that is no longer (or never was) protected by copyright laws. How, when and why this occurs can vary quite a bit, but its generally because a work was never copyright protected or because those rights have expired due to time or in some rare cases a clerical error.

"Fair use" is an exception worked into the US copyright law that allows you to copy works that are otherwise protected for some specifically designed purposes. For example, a movie review can show a piece of the movie they are discussing as part of that discussion. Or someone doing a book review can quote passages from the book. Or someone using a book as reference material in some other project, like a research paper or even another book, can quote sections of a book.

It's in the public domain and hence not copyrighted. I added a few of those in a google drive a little while back. I am adding this one right now for anyone to download and print.

I am really surprised that the Hawking of Japan is in public domain. Last I heard the author is still alive, and US Copyright usually lasts for a certain period after the death of the author. How did you find this out??

Glad you found a copy though - safely saved it to my OneDrive.

Bird_Dog
09-02-2014, 11:03 PM
It seems there are other falconry book available on the website. I did keyword search on falconry. Most titles were limited access, but if you look carefully you'll see several full access books listed. I only looked at 8 pages of titles. Falconry in the valley of Indus by Burton, Practical falconry by Cox, Reminiscences of a falconer, Coursing and Falconry were listed as full access.

-- Scott

bdyelm
09-03-2014, 02:12 AM
That makes much better sense Geoff. I was confused by what "public domain" meant. Thanks.

sakerjack
09-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Um, no.

Public domain, by definition, is a work that is no longer (or never was) protected by copyright laws. How, when and why this occurs can vary quite a bit, but its generally because a work was never copyright protected or because those rights have expired due to time or in some rare cases a clerical error.

"Fair use" is an exception worked into the US copyright law that allows you to copy works that are otherwise protected for some specifically designed purposes. For example, a movie review can show a piece of the movie they are discussing as part of that discussion. Or someone doing a book review can quote passages from the book. Or someone using a book as reference material in some other project, like a research paper or even another book, can quote sections of a book.

I am really surprised that the Hawking of Japan is in public domain. Last I heard the author is still alive, and US Copyright usually lasts for a certain period after the death of the author. How did you find this out??

The Author Bill Jameson passed away in 2010.

Pedioecetes
09-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I bought a copy when it first came out, and still like to read it once and a while. Lots of things in it that are definitely "Japanese". Interesting to contemplate how they disciplined themselves to methods found nowhere else, and obviously with great success. But I can't think of how I could direct a falcon by waving a stick. Not having tried it though perhaps it is something that could work. Lots of people wave their glove in the air.

Neat book though and long out of print.

goshawkr
09-03-2014, 01:19 PM
The Author Bill Jameson passed away in 2010.

Ah.... well, US copyright lasts 70 years after the author dies, at present. Personally, I think the old standard of 50 years was a bit too long. Anyway, someone must not have filed some paperwork somewhere or intentionally let it go into public domain.

I bought a copy when it first came out, and still like to read it once and a while. Lots of things in it that are definitely "Japanese". Interesting to contemplate how they disciplined themselves to methods found nowhere else, and obviously with great success. But I can't think of how I could direct a falcon by waving a stick. Not having tried it though perhaps it is something that could work. Lots of people wave their glove in the air.

Neat book though and long out of print.

It is a neat book. I have borrowed tricks from it extensively.

The Japanese had some very unique ideas on husbandry and training. The hunting was largely the same as what we are used to, although the Samurai class falconers had one luxury that most of us are lacking: loincloth wearing servants to flush game and retrieve a hawk on a kill. I keep daydreaming how great that would be when my goshawk takes a duck and comes down either in cold water or on the other side of uncrossable cold water, but I can never find someone willing to take up the job. I also love the idea of kicking back in a boat behind a blind while my servant poles us towards some ducks, and then waiting for the servant to swim back with the goshawk and the duck while sipping tea. Ah the life!

I spoke to Kent Carnie a few times about doing a reprint through the Archives, and he told me he really wanted to but couldn't get approval from Jameson. If he has passed on, then perhaps its a doable project now. Especially if it is really in public domain now. Someone should mention it to him.

Pedioecetes
09-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Hi Geoff,

Kent Carnie is 45 minutes from me until late October. I'll mention it to him. It would be a great idea to reprint it.

RyanAnt
09-05-2014, 10:36 PM

Geoff, if you click on that "Hathi trust" link that Scott posted, it takes you to the page where on the top left of the page it says: "Copyright: Public domain, Google-digitized."

Also, slavery has been abolished and you can't have naked servants to fetch your goshawk sir. :D

RyanAnt
09-05-2014, 10:47 PM
So, how does everyone feel about me adding these old texts here that are in the public domain. I don't feel that it is ethically wrong since they are in the public domain, and may be lost if they don't get distributed to falconers. I just personally feel that while we don't really practice many of the old techniques of falconry, it is part of our heritage and I just don't want it lost. I found a few more that I can post but want to make sure that everyone is ok with this.
Also, if anyone knows of a copyright on a certain book, please let me know as I don't want to take credit away from people who still may have a copyright.

bdyelm
09-05-2014, 11:11 PM
I feel the same Ryan. I don't want them lost either. Add away.

goshawkr
09-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Geoff, if you click on that "Hathi trust" link that Scott posted, it takes you to the page where on the top left of the page it says: "Copyright: Public domain, Google-digitized."

Also, slavery has been abolished and you can't have naked servants to fetch your goshawk sir. :D

I didn't say naked - they can wear a loincloth.

And Servant does not mean slave ... it just means a minion to do your bidding. That could be a slave, or it could be a paid lacky. Nowdays in our "enlightened" society I realize they will have to be paid, but I cant find any willing to work for the scraps I can afford to throw at them. :D

RyanAnt
09-06-2014, 07:31 PM
I didn't say naked - they can wear a loincloth.

And Servant does not mean slave ... it just means a minion to do your bidding. That could be a slave, or it could be a paid lacky. Nowdays in our "enlightened" society I realize they will have to be paid, but I cant find any willing to work for the scraps I can afford to throw at them. :D

You can. They are called apprentices. You reward them with tidbits of information on goshawking as they fetch your bird from across a cold stream of water. peacee

americansharpy
03-31-2015, 07:39 PM
I bought bough Jameson books at a NAFA meet a few years ago... Nicely done books.