PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Central PA

UnknownSpectre
08-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Hello;

My name is Nate, and I just found these forums. I've been interested in the sport of Falconry for many years now, but finally feel that I have the time available to dedicate to it. I had reached out to PFHT a few years (about 5 years) back, and decided that I didn't have the time necessary to dedicate to the sport. Since then I've read a few books, and as of yesterday have actually ordered quite a few more books (including many on the suggested reading list from PFHT). I've also been talking, and working a bit, with a falconer who is, unfortunately, no longer local to the area...only in town for a few months a year, but that's long enough for me to get a good feel for a lot of what goes on in the daily upkeep and training of the birds which is exciting to me. Two years ago I attempted to reach back to the apprentice coordinator of the PFHT via the email from the website, but unfortunately I never got a response that time.

With that said I do have a few questions: Are there local falconers here to the central PA area who may be interested in a possible apprentice, or to at least take me out in the field or even just sit down and talk to me? And the book on Red-Tailed Hawks by Liam McGranaghan, does anyone know where I can find a copy of that? I did hear rumors that it may be getting reprinted sometime in the near future, has anyone else heard that?

Tom Scheib
08-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Nate,

I grew up in Carbon CO PA back in the 40s & 50s and want to wish you the best. It's awful hard to get a sponsor on a forum as you well know. I'd predict if you'd go to several PFHT meetings, get togethers, etc, beat the brush for a falconer this hunting season, and take the steps to get your test passed some one will come out of the woodwork. Best wishes.

UnknownSpectre
08-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Tom,

Thanks for the reply! I don't expect to necessarily gain a sponsor from this forum, just hope to establish some local contacts that might be willing to talk to me and/or take me out in the field. I do plan to go to the PFHT meetings and such, but it looks like the next one is not until January according to their calendar (it also looks like I just missed the picnic). I am working on reading the material for the test, so that hopefully once I get a sponsor the test will be a breeze.

royale26
08-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Nathan,
There are more than a few falconers around the Harrisburg area. I live about 80 miles due north of Middletown. You are welcome to come hawking with me a day latter this fall. I will have a couple hawks in order by then. As far as breaking into the sport, it isn't always easy. See PM for more information.

Pyro01
08-26-2014, 01:09 PM
I think I saw your e-mails to a yahoo user group that provides a falconry test to help you prepare for the test. Was that you? Either way, welcome to NAFEX! Look for a PM from me.

raptrlvr
08-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Nathan, Royale26 is a great falconer to take up on his offer. I will also be in Pa around the 1st of Oct. with my birds if you want to come over and check them out. You can PM me for more details.

lxlMurdoclxl
08-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Nathan,

Welcome to NAFEX. I am not too familiar with the Middletown, Harrisburg area, but I do know you are only about an hour west from me.

If you have any specific questions or just want to chat, send me a PM.

Good luck!

UnknownSpectre
09-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks all for the welcomes to the forums. I am looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you in the near future. Hopefully I can break into the sport within the next year or so. Until then, I will keep reading the books and talking to as many people as I can.

Ivanalia
09-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Welcome Nathan!

I am also a pre-apprentice near you in Elizabethtown. I also have been waiting until the time is right and reading up. Feel free to PM and welcome to NAFEX!