PDA

View Full Version : greetings from northwest PA

db660r
09-15-2014, 08:33 PM
hello all my name is Derek Boyles. And like all of you I have been bitten by the falconry bug. I have always been an outdoorsman and have been fascinated with the arts of hunting. Living in the country side surrounded by fields gave me the chance to watch numerous hawks and a few eagles catch there pray. now that Im getting older things have mellowed out a bit and I can now focus my time on researching these fine raptors. I hope to someday be a falconer myself. thanks for your time.

P.s. I glad that I found this forum it has been very helpful and informational.

Thanks again Derek Boyles

cindy
09-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Hello and welcome!

adilmalik
09-23-2014, 01:01 AM
hello to my frien accept my post and upload mt signature

gemiller
09-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Welcome to the forums. It's a great place to get started in learning about Falconry before, during and after you hit the bush ;)

Breeze
09-23-2014, 11:09 AM
(welc) Hi Derek! I have relatives living in your neck of the woods. Hope to get there someday to visit and if so, will of course take my Red Tail along. Might meet you one of these moons! Enjoy the forum - it's a great place to be!

db660r
09-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks a lot everyone. Im glad to get such a warm welcome here.

gemiller
09-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Are you going to be visiting the PA state meet? It's in Mercer PA in January, so it may not be too far from you depending how far west you are!

db660r
09-23-2014, 07:09 PM
my brother in law and I are planning on going, we tried to get ahold of the coordinator to see if we had to be a member of the pfht but no one got back to us. but we are both very excited to go.

gemiller
09-24-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm going to say this tongue in cheek, but myself and a few others had no response from the apprentice coordinator when we were trying to get started (nothing against her by no means, but you're not the first person with this issue).

Reach out to the event coordinator or your regional membership coordinator. http://pfht.org/ContactUs.aspx , and http://pfht.org/Events.aspx will get you to your contact information for the regional and event coordinator individually. I would reach out to your regional director first (I don't know that I've met the western director, I have met the other two).

I had a heck of a time getting involved in my first meet from a similar issue that you're having but found my connection through the coordinator of the meet.

db660r
09-24-2014, 10:54 AM
that was the next step I was going to do, I have anthonys contact email. im not a member of the pfht yet so I just figured I got set aside. no biggie but I wont stop emailing lol

gemiller
09-24-2014, 10:58 AM
that was the next step I was going to do, I have anthonys contact email. im not a member of the pfht yet so I just figured I got set aside. no biggie but I wont stop emailing lol

Pay the 15 dollars to be an associate member (non licensed falconer) when you join for the meet. It gets you on the email list and newsletter/publication list as well.

db660r
09-24-2014, 08:00 PM
I was looking at the registration form for pfht and it says I need two references one being a member already. I know the year is mostly gone already but im not worried about a few bucks to get info there. do you know if they let people in if they have no references? thanks

gemiller
09-24-2014, 08:02 PM
I was looking at the registration form for pfht and it says I need two references one being a member already. I know the year is mostly gone already but im not worried about a few bucks to get info there. do you know if they let people in if they have no references? thanks

I asked at the table during my first meet pre-licensed when I handed in my registration form and they didn't have any issue with it. I've been at the summer picnic and the meets for a few years now and haven't seen anyone turned down.

db660r
09-25-2014, 07:58 PM
that sounds great ill just print it out and bring it w/ me to the meet. being a newbie to the meets I cant wait to see what its all about. on a good note I caught wind of a local falconer in my neck of the woods just got to hunt him down. thanks Derek

raptrlvr
09-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Hey Derek, contact falcipiter on this forum about becoming a member. He is one of the board members of PFHT and he won't put you on the back burner.

db660r
09-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks a lot Jim I just shot him a pm. I appreciate your help

gemiller
09-26-2014, 08:46 AM
All I can say after remembering being where you're at now is that the perseverance is worth every bit of the hassle in the long run ;)

hawkstir
09-26-2014, 09:13 AM
You could also contact the PGC headquarters in Harrisburg and request a falconry packet with a listing of all permitted falconers in PA

db660r
09-26-2014, 08:33 PM
thanks fred, i actually have a coworker that is a game commissioner. i asked him if he could get me some info on locals but im still gonna try to get the packet. thanks again derek

gemiller
09-26-2014, 10:34 PM
You could also contact the PGC headquarters in Harrisburg and request a falconry packet with a listing of all permitted falconers in PA

I don't know when you got your packet last, but when I got mine 3 years ago there was no such list included. It had a list of contacts for the PFHT people and whatnot, but no master list. Either way the packet is useful to request as it has the regulations and other pertinent information.

hawkstir
09-29-2014, 06:43 AM
I don't know when you got your packet last, but when I got mine 3 years ago there was no such list included. It had a list of contacts for the PFHT people and whatnot, but no master list. Either way the packet is useful to request as it has the regulations and other pertinent information.

It was many many years ago. I had to specifically ask for it.