PDA

View Full Version : Salutations from Indiana!

HannahSue
09-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Hello NAFEX!

My name's Hannah and I've been a prospective falconer for over a year. I'm just now strongly pursuing the sport after long deliberation and research. I've contacted the president of Indiana's falconry association but as of right now, still waiting to hear something back.

I hope to be in contact with some local hunters by winter, ideally within a 100 mile radius. I live in Terre Haute, IN so if any of you are close, I'd love to beat brush for you! I am looking for a sponsor like any pre-apprentices are, but it's not my top priority right now. Contact is at the top, my California Study Guide second, then sponsorship once I'm actually ready for the test.

Here's a little about me. I'm an avid outdoorswoman, I love animals, and I'm crazy about living off-grid and being self-sustainable. Before I moved into the city to erase my commute to college and work I rescued and rehabilitated horses, and had just about every animal under the sun. Right now I have a turtle, fish, and a dog. I don't have any experience with the sport of falconry, but I do have a little hands-on experience with raptors themselves including Barred Owls, Peregrine Falcons, Screech Owls, and Red-tailed Hawks.

When my uncle was in better health he rehabilitated raptors and re-released them into the wild whenever possible. Otherwise he took care of them in captivity and showed them around for education purposes. I was able to handle the more docile birds. I currently attend Ivy Tech Community College but it's my last year, and I'll be transferring to a four year university next fall.

I hope to learn a lot here on NAFEX, and I'm excited to finally be in contact with falconers, local or otherwise.

Thanks everyone.

Hannah Childress

db660r
09-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Welcome, Im sure you'll find this site very helpful just as I have

HannahSue
09-17-2014, 12:14 AM
Thank you! I'm sure I will.

AdamS
09-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Welcome Hannah, we have several falconers around your area and a field meet in Terre Haute every year. Maybe I'll see you there. PM me and I'll make sure you have the right contact info.

Breeze
09-17-2014, 07:46 AM
(welc) Hannah! Enjoy the learning process and beating those bushes! Falconry is worth all the effort! Happy hawking to you!

HannahSue
09-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Breeze, thank you very much!

Adam, I sent you a PM (hopefully it went through)!

Red-tail
09-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Hiya Hannah, welcome to NAFEX and falconry! I have my license and will be trapping my first hawk in October. I am so excited :) Good luck on your own journey!