PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Clearwater Florida

GavinKinkade
03-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Hello all,

new forum member, future falconer? I hope so.

I have been looking at, and researching falconry for a few months now. I understand the financial and personal time involved in this sport. I feel that I have the drive and determination to go thru with sport. Now all I need is the information.

I guess my first question is this, financialy, how much on average (ballpark it if you must) do you spend on your raptor/s?

Obviously my first year will be building, and buying equipment, obtaining the proper training, and learning, not to mention the permits, and the driving. Lets assume I will only be spending money on equipment and getting prepared to get a raptor. and not actually paying for any food or raptor related costs. How much did you spend just getting ready to get your raptor?

after this inital outlay of cash, how much can you expect to spend on training, flying, and maintaing the health of, and feeding a single raptor cost.

I make a moderate amount of money between 90-120k a year, I think this is enough, but I would like a closer estimate.

Thanks for your time.
Gavin

Jimmy
03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Expect to spend $1000 to get started in the sport. I think that's a reasonable expectation. After that it's mostly a time issue..... Food costs vary, depending on what you feed, and how succesfull you are hunting the bird. The more you catch, the less you'll have to buy.

GavinKinkade
03-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Jimmy,

thanks for the reply, I had so hoped it would be an answer and not a off-colored remark or suggestion. a thousand dollars is not a problem for me. In fact I have guns that cost more. That gives me a better idea now, and second makes me feel better about this group.

I was really hoping to find a group, that wasnt demeaning or harsh towards "Newbies" and would be willing to help and share. It seems that this group is "newbie" friendly and for that I am thankful.

I will try not to lay to many "Dumb" questions on this group in the future.

Respectfully
Gavin

Jimmy
03-24-2008, 12:36 PM
The mews will be the biggest cost, and it's cost will depend on how fancy you choose to make it, and how big. If I remember right, Florida only requires a mew or a weathering area, and not both. So that'll make things a little easier for you. Basic equipment costs will vary depending on where you buy it, and how much you make yourself. Your biggest investment overall will be your time though.

paganlove22
03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Welcome neighbor.:D

GavinKinkade
03-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks again all, and Hello Jen aka pagenlover.

I am an avid woodsmith, and make lots of furniture, and items from wood so building stuff should not be a problem. I have also recently been working with leather, and made a pair of gauntlets for archery, so leatherworking is is not to difficult for me either.

I guess my biggest issue now will be time. and for that I am hesitant.

I have two daughters going into college this year and the following. SO they do not require my undevided attention much anynore, so long as the wallet doesnt run out, they should be relativly happy until they run low :)

The wife and I just started out 40's, and have no other distractions except for my hobbies and hers, once the kids are on thier own.

We have thought about traveling more, and I thought about this sport.
Mentioned it to her last night and wow, she couldnt say NO fast enough...

I'm sure she will come around but i have to go slow....

PS Pagenlover, hello in brooksville, how long have you be hawking? what level have you reached, if any.

Nice to talk to a local, do you do the FHF?

Peace all

paganlove22
03-24-2008, 01:20 PM
[quote=GavinKinkade;33420

PS Pagenlover, hello in brooksville, how long have you be hawking? what level have you reached, if any.
[/quote]

Im a pre-apprentice. I have a sponsor lined up, have taken the dreaded test and still I wait. I highly recommend if you plan on being ready for the up and coming trapping season that you start now. The woman who handles the test grading and letter issuing in Tallahassee doesnt like to work very hard and requires much prompting to get off her butt. On a more positive note everybody on this board is very helpful and just love to offer advice. :D

Jimmy
03-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Mentioned it to her last night and wow, she couldnt say NO fast enough...

Sounds like your expenses just doubled. You'll be buying a lot of roses for apologies when you get hooked........

GavinKinkade
03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
I understand completely,

so how many falconers are married and how many are divorced or seperated. Seems to me caring for the birds would be akin to caring for a child, and a spouse not invoved with the raising of the "child" could develop a bit of jealousy....

Seems like it would be hard to share time between the spouse, and "child" in appropriate levels.

The wife and I have been thru very much together, successfully raising 2 girls, and having little time for each other, now that my wife and I see the "Light at the end of the tunnel" taking this on could diminish that light.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to talk my self out of the sport but these are valid concens, and I will have to share them with the wife. eventually :)

Thanks for all your input
Gavin

Jimmy
03-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm married with a 15 year old daughter. Both are falconers.......
If you got divorced over a bird, you wouldn't be the first. Many wives don't like the competition. So you'll need to either meet in the middle somewhere, or give up one of them. You've had the wife awhile, and know what she's like... Try the bird........:D

everetkhorton
03-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Galvin:
I am married and raised 2 girls that are now married. It will make it a hole lot easier if you have the support of your wife. I found I gave up or change how I done things. I stopped all gun hunting, used that time to hunt with the bird. Slowed down fishing, and do not deer hunt anymore. If I go to a meet or picnic I always ask my wife if she would like to go, even it is no more than while I am at the meeting etc. she can go shopping and pick me up later. JMO.